Japanese troops to train in Australia, WW II veterans upset

Understandably they are upset. A lot of serving soldiers don't really want to train with them anyway as they don't see much benifit, and many had fathers/grandfathers who fought against the Japanese in the Pacific.

Yeah I could see where that would be upsetting. When my brother bought a Japanese car my father wouldn't speak to him for two weeks. Years as a WWII Marine in the Pacific left him with a lifelong distaste for anything from Nippon. He saw too many of his friends hacked to bits and came so very close himself many times. An uncle of mine was on the Bataan Death March too. Many hard feelings for my parents' generation.

One of my teachers in high school had an uncle who fought in Korea. And that uncle of his never bought anything from Korea. North or South.
This was a pretty insensitive decision by the Australian government. It's true that NOW we're allies but those guys put their butts on the line to keep the Japanese off Australia.the politics don't mean much to them. Keeping the Japanese off did.

Back