Japanese Scope?

Barricade

I have a WWII Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm rifle.

Its my understanding that only sniper or officers Arisaka's had chrome
sleeves in the barrel.

Well this one has the extra long chrome sleeved barrel and drilled for a scope. So its the sniper version.

Crisanthamum is intact so it was a battlefield find brought back by a GI. :salute:

I picked it up about 20 years ago at an Estate Auction.

Ive always wanted to put a correct era Japanese scope back on it but have never found one....

A friend of mine is in Japan but he says weapons are real restrictive over there and he has no idea where to look.

any ideas??

mods please move if I put this in the wrong spot. Thanks!!

I have a WWII Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm rifle.

Its my understanding that only sniper or officers Arisaka's had chrome
sleeves in the barrel.

Well this one has the extra long chrome sleeved barrel and drilled for a scope. So its the sniper version.

Crisanthamum is intact so it was a battlefield find brought back by a GI. :salute:

I picked it up about 20 years ago at an Estate Auction.

Ive always wanted to put a correct era Japanese scope back on it but have never found one....

A friend of mine is in Japan but he says weapons are real restrictive over there and he has no idea where to look.

any ideas??

mods please move if I put this in the wrong spot. Thanks!!

You know that a genuine WW2 Japanese scope in excellent condition will set you back about $2,000+.

You could try this site as they seem to have a number of them for sale...

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ww-2-japanese-sniper-rifle-scope-case

Japanese sniper rifles are not drilled for a scope. They have a rectangular shaped mount on the side that has a spring retainer. The scopes were mounted offset on the opposite side of the bolt.

Most all type 99 rifles had chrome bores.

I believe late war variations may have skipped this.

If yours has screw holes on the left side of the reciever and some wood cut out, it could have been a sniper.

Needs a turned down bolt as well.

Repro mounts are around, but scopes are rare.

Extra long?

You may have a T99 Long Rifle, semi rare early version, deemed too large for general use.

Many found in arsenals in new condition post war.

There is not a definitive condition on presence of mums.

Just lots and lots of suppositions-like snipers and officers having chrome barrels.

Back