The Japanese Grand Prix Preview

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.formula1.com/news/5064.html

China, and Michael Schumacher is very confident. “The car ran very well in Shanghai,” he says, “and of course I was very happy to win there at last.

“Fernando (Alonso) and I are now equal on points; if we look back some while ago it is a miracle that we are there, thanks to great work by everyone at Ferrari and Bridgestone we’ve managed it and go to the last two races like this. I really believe we have to wait till the last one for a decision to be reached, so it’s an interesting couple of weeks that we face, and I really look forward to that.”

The only way that the title could be decided this weekend would be if Schumacher wins and Alonso fails to score. That way, even if Alonso were to win in Brazil where Schumacher failed to score, they would be equal on points again at the end but Schumacher would have eight wins to Alonso’s seven.

Despite his appalling luck in the last few races, the champion is confident that Renault and Michelin have a very strong package again that will give him an advantage in the final races.

“The race in China turned out to be a bad day,” Alonso said, “but this is a fantastic fight for the championship, and I go to Japan feeling really confident. We had the quickest car in Shanghai, and we have two more good chances to win. I believe we can do it.”

Kimi Raikkonen was adamant that he had a winning car in Shanghai, and McLaren are determined to avoid having their first winless season since 1996. The Finn won here last year, and could be a significant threat to Schumacher and Alonso.

Suzuka is obviously a very important race for Honda, Super Aguri and Toyota, all of whom will naturally be keen for strong performances on their home ground. Look for Toyota in particular to be quick in qualifying.

Back