Japanese government considers pre-emptive strike on North Korean ICBM facilities.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/10/us.nkorea.ap/index.html

I would like to initiate a discussion on the feasability of such an attack, not political value etc.

Japan lacks stratotankers, long-range bombers and (AFAIK) cruise missiles. So they would have to engage in an operation similar to the one in which the Israelis destroyed the Osirak reactor. I doubt South Korea would allow them to land after the mission, to not provoke the Democratic Republic. The Japanese would also need their Kongo class AEGIS Destroyers on full alert to intercept any retaliatory North Korean strikes, which could be nuclear-tipped!

Armchair Generals, ATTACK! :D

I don't see that they are logistically capable of waging war, no matter how justified they think they are. After the first 48-72 hours, they would be begging for help.

i'm gonna have to agree with Maytime, the Japanese military isn't designed for attack, but for defence (unless it has changed and I don't know it). I could see Japan launching a small special operations raid, but a full-blown all out attack would require the backing of at least one, maybe two powerful nations.

The difference between attack and defense is in the eye of the beholder.

I would not see why Japan can't wage war with the JSDF.

They got my vote for a preemptive strike.:thumb:

North Korea,s dictator Kim is completely crazy.
He nuclear capable even A lot of people have been starved to death these several years.
If japan give NK JDAM and chocker,that autocratic regime will be broken by people.

bigcanada813 said:
i'm gonna have to agree with Maytime, the Japanese military isn't designed for attack, but for defence (unless it has changed and I don't know it). I could see Japan launching a small special operations raid, but a full-blown all out attack would require the backing of at least one, maybe two powerful nations.
Israel managed to do the Osirak reactor with F-16s only....Japan has F-16s...

Did Israel sustain a conflict after the Osirak bombings? No, but they took the first shot, and even if Iraq shot back, they had the means to defend itself. That was simplified by the proximity of the two nations, where DPRK and Japan are separated by water.

So, I say if Japan decides to strike first, we let them, then we go in to help the JSDF protect the islands, and wait for Lil' Kim give us a reason to annihiliate the DPRK once and for all.

you guys do realize that north korea could kill thousands of people in the south with artillery barrages alone. That's why no one is even hinting at a strike in washington, lots of people could die in a counterattack. Forget what the insurgents in iraq are capable of, this could lead to many thousands of civilians and military personnel dead if a war breaks out, that's pretty much guarenteed. Even airstrikes won't take out all the artillery and border weapons, there's too many of them. Japan is puffing hot air, think about if we could have done an airstrike in the past we probably would have.

There's pretty much a consensus that kim jong il is nuts, so why would you agitate a crazy dictator in such a way. His response could be comlpetely random and everything could hit the fan.

Quote:MohmarDeathstrike
Originally Posted by bigcanada813

Israel managed to do the Osirak reactor with F-16s only....Japan has F-16s...

Yeah Mohmar, you're right on that, the Japanese could launch an attack, but they would need help from outside countries if they were to enter a prolonged conflict with the North Koreans. That is what I was trying to get at.

bigcanada813 said:
Yeah Mohmar, you're right on that, the Japanese could launch an attack, but they would need help from outside countries if they were to enter a prolonged conflict with the North Koreans. That is what I was trying to get at.
True, but that's a big IF, because neither country has the capability to deploy ground troops in the other. The only type of conflict that could ensue would be North Korean BMs beimg launched toward Japan with Japan trying to knock them out and continuing low-intensity aerial bombing raid (I don't see how North Korea could send fighter-bombers to Japan)
WarMachine said:
you guys do realize that north korea could kill thousands of people in the south with artillery barrages alone. That's why no one is even hinting at a strike in washington, lots of people could die in a counterattack. Forget what the insurgents in iraq are capable of, this could lead to many thousands of civilians and military personnel dead if a war breaks out, that's pretty much guarenteed. Even airstrikes won't take out all the artillery and border weapons, there's too many of them. Japan is puffing hot air, think about if we could have done an airstrike in the past we probably would have.
But South Korea is unrelated to Japan. From what I've heard, their relations are kinda stained too (yet far from actually hostile) because of some shrine that serves a memorial for troops fallen in WW2.

WarMachine said:
There's pretty much a consensus that kim jong il is nuts, so why would you agitate a crazy dictator in such a way. His response could be comlpetely random and everything could hit the fan.
I disagree. I think Kim Jong Il is quite of the calculating kind. He'll use some sort of flexible response strategy: Japan bombs NK missile sites, so NK launches HE BMs at Japanese urban centers...Then again, if the Japanese miss even one North Korean missile, it could mean the death of thousands of Japanese in the densely populated megalopolis's.
Maytime said:
...wait for Lil' Kim give us a reason to annihiliate the DPRK once and for all.
That's slightly exaggerated saber-rattling IMO. :horsie: Would you actually like to kill dozens of millions?

Last edited:
Sorry I should've chosen better (more) words; by DPRK I meant their ability to wage war, i.e. all military targets are fair game, along with factories, etc. Yes there will be collateral damage and civilian casualties, but that's a part of war. We try so hard to minimize such things, to the point that no one can say we intentionally harm civilans as a people. There are bad apples in our military, but ultimately our ROE errs on the side of caution when engaging.

The enemy will put their own people in precarious and dangerous positions that increases their chance of getting hurt. Ultimately, who's fault is that? Ours? Kim Jong Il's? What about the people who have been taking it up the rear for over half a century, not doing anything, who are willing to "let it slide." I think a member of this forum's signature says it best: "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."

What about switzerland, they're neutral are they going to hell?

I would imagine that people would die but face it, no one is going to pre emptivelively attack north korea, it would cause too much instability.

Who cares about Japan striking N. Korea?

An airstrike would first of all accomplish nothing. Knocking out a reactor, or lab, or whatever is only cosmetic. The N. Koreans are not stupid enough to locate all of their research and production centres in one or even ten potential targets. The same is true of Iran.

Second, the dictator's potential to retaliate is a little on the thin side. His most insane option would be a missile strike against Japanese cities. This would immediately arouse world opinion against him and legitimize moderate to sever Japanese retaliation.

El Presidente, in my opinion, has two options in the case of a Japanese airstrike.

1. Escalate the problem and hope that the Chinese bail him out.

2. Sit back, take the punishment, and make a big stink for propaganda purposes. An airstrike would probably gain him a few political credits in Asia.

Bombing will achieve nothing more than a few dead people, some wrecked infrastructure, a rise in Chinese political influence, and a loud N. Korean dictator.

If the Japanese government was serious about this, we wouldn´t know about it.

Agreed with everything Ollie Garchy said.

I guess a Korean stationed just 11km from the North Korean coast should have a shout at this one as well then.

First of all, Japan cannot launch a pre-emptive strike. It is illegal and that is why their military is called the Self Defense Force. They are strictly a do not fire before fired upon force.

A Japanese strike against North Korea... physically I can see Japan doing it. They've got the technology and most probably also the training to do it. But let us also remind ourselves that North Korea has perhaps one of the densest anti-aircraft defense networks... maybe in the world.

But what would happen if Japan struck North Korea first? South Korean support? Forget it. Both Koreas have only one policy towards Japan and the Korean peninsular: Japan stays off, permanently. Even in the event of a full war between the two Koreas, South Korea would reject a direct Japanese intervention. Remember that South Korea and Japan's coast guards either faced off or nearly faced off because of an island dispute (Korean name: Dok-do, Japanese name: Takeshima). A few months ago there was rumor going on that South Korea and Japan could actually go to war. The idea of Japanese F-2s (that's what they call their F-16s) landing in a South Korean Air Force base after an airstrike deep inside North Korea is about as realistic as The Lord of The Rings.

In the event that Japan does attack North Korea, you could have a strange situation where South Korea actually HELPS defend North Korea. The Korea-Japan hatred is a lot deeper than most of you will ever understand.

Because of the current and the previous administration, the current South Korean sentiment towards North Korea is an unhealthy one where there is too much understanding and caring for the North Koreans. It's like these people don't understand that ultimately the missiles are for us.

If there is a war in Korea any time before June of next year, I'll be fighting in it. But if we're going to have one, we might as well have one while I'm here.

But no, I don't think Japan will launch a strike against North Korea. It'll risk going to war with South Korea.

the_13th_redneck said:
I guess a Korean stationed just 11km from the North Korean coast should have a shout at this one as well then.

First of all, Japan cannot launch a pre-emptive strike. It is illegal and that is why their military is called the Self Defense Force. They are strictly a do not fire before fired upon force.

A Japanese strike against North Korea... physically I can see Japan doing it. They've got the technology and most probably also the training to do it. But let us also remind ourselves that North Korea has perhaps one of the densest anti-aircraft defense networks... maybe in the world.

But what would happen if Japan struck North Korea first? South Korean support? Forget it. Both Koreas have only one policy towards Japan and the Korean peninsular: Japan stays off, permanently. Even in the event of a full war between the two Koreas, South Korea would reject a direct Japanese intervention. Remember that South Korea and Japan's coast guards either faced off or nearly faced off because of an island dispute (Korean name: Dok-do, Japanese name: Takeshima). A few months ago there was rumor going on that South Korea and Japan could actually go to war. The idea of Japanese F-2s (that's what they call their F-16s) landing in a South Korean Air Force base after an airstrike deep inside North Korea is about as realistic as The Lord of The Rings.

In the event that Japan does attack North Korea, you could have a strange situation where South Korea actually HELPS defend North Korea. The Korea-Japan hatred is a lot deeper than most of you will ever understand.

Because of the current and the previous administration, the current South Korean sentiment towards North Korea is an unhealthy one where there is too much understanding and caring for the North Koreans. It's like these people don't understand that ultimately the missiles are for us.

If there is a war in Korea any time before June of next year, I'll be fighting in it. But if we're going to have one, we might as well have one while I'm here.

But no, I don't think Japan will launch a strike against North Korea. It'll risk going to war with South Korea.

Good points, but...

(1) Japan is currently in the process of constitutional change. Like Germany, who were legally not allowed to station troops outside of the country, these domestic laws can be changed without too much difficulty. Germany adapted the Grundgesetz or Basic Law in 1995 (I think). In any case, the Japanese are following the Germans and have already stationed "soldiers" in other countries.

(2) We all know about Korean-Japanese hatred. But I cannot accept that this hatred could lead to open war. Korea and Japan are too dependent on global trade. Trade is an excellent controlling mechanism of state behaviour. In any case, UN resolutions would support a Japanese bombing campaign and S. Korea would be obligated to accept world opinion in the matter. An action in defence of N. Korea would be both bizarre and disastrous for the S. Korean economy and society.

Remember: It is N. Korea that is breaking with world opinion, developing a dangerous military capacity that is reactivating Japan's immense military-industrial power, and handing out military tech to the Muslim powers. N. Korea was to neutralized...and fast. I support Korean reunification via S. Korean annexation.

Who minds NK extinction.
That country
make false currency
and export WMD
abduct an ordinary citizen
making threat against world peace

Anyway
Japan doesn't have bombers,
so America's help is needed to strile NK.
Of course
China and Russia ,SK oppose strike to NK.
Syria and Iran・・・・・・Of course against allthing what US do.

Sandy, I for one would not mind the NK extinction.

If Japan makes an air strike, a single blow will not do. They'll have to keep it going - blow up a target a week, terrorize the North Korean military until they can't sleep at night for fear of bombs.

Unlikely but necessary to follow up with a US land invasion to eliminate the regime for good. Preferably without prisoners.

Back