Japananse plans for the South Pacific (WW2)...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
this will be a fairly open question but did the Japanese really have any chance at an invasion of Australia, certainly they were heading through Papua New Guinea and I have no doubt they may have tried a landing but did they seriously think they much chance of taking and holding it?

If you look at the size of the country its geographical location, climate and terrain (namely it is an island) the chances of a country the size of Japan successfully holding such a territory would have been extremely difficult especially given that they were still engaged on a land front through out China and sub-continent.

I think they did seriously think they could take and hold Australia at least until late 42 or early 43. Given their accomplishments in late 41 and early 42 in Malyasia, Singpore, the Philippines, Indo China, etc. I believe that they thought Oz was doable.

They were also in the habit of over estimating themselves and underestimating the Allies at this point in the war.

I think they did seriously think they could take and hold Australia at least until late 42 or early 43. Given their accomplishments in late 41 and early 42 in Malyasia, Singpore, the Philippines, Indo China, etc. I believe that they thought Oz was doable.

They were also in the habit of over estimating themselves and underestimating the Allies at this point in the war.

USMC03

They did actually think they could take it. The invasion plans were already drawn up, Fortunately The Battle of Coral Sea put and end to the idea.

Its just amazing that they could have been so arrogant. Japan is a tiny country, Australia is a enormous one and most of it is wild. They might have been able to hold the cities Sydney, Darwin etc, but anything outside a 10 mile radius would have been ungovernable. And remember they were already quite overextended both in the South Pacific and in China.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that they thought could and planned to do it.

Like I said at this time in the war the IJA & IJN over estimated their own abilities.

They also under estimated the allies due to a string of easy early victories.

They thought of China as conquered and were arrogant enough to truly believe the Allies would fold in the Pacific.

From what I have seen their plans for an Australian invasion were pretty hit and miss, it has some support from Japanese naval planning staff but had no support from Yamamoto or the Japanese cabinet.

Plans ranged from small scale landings in remote parts of Australia to a full scale landing requiring up to 20 divisions which would have been twice the number of troops used in the entire pacific campaign to that date.

On the whole it really just seemed like they were deluded.

The Japanese had no real plans for the invasion of Australia. They had actually occupied some uninhabited islands of the northern WA coast and bombed many towns in the North. This was all highly censored during the war. The Brisbane line focussed any defence of Australia below the Tropic of Capricorn. The real problem for the Japanese would have been the shear size and in-hospitality of the North and very extended supply lines (the had been all but exhausted as far as New Guinea). Had they tried to invade, it would have been their equivalent of Operation Barbarossa to the Germans, even with our low population. The land-mass itself would have beaten them

The Japanese had no real plans for the invasion of Australia. They had actually occupied some uninhabited islands of the northern WA coast and bombed many towns in the North. This was all highly censored during the war. The Brisbane line focussed any defence of Australia below the Tropic of Capricorn. The real problem for the Japanese would have been the shear size and in-hospitality of the North and very extended supply lines (the had been all but exhausted as far as New Guinea). Had they tried to invade, it would have been their equivalent of Operation Barbarossa to the Germans, even with our low population. The land-mass itself would have beaten them

I agree although I have often wondered whether they would not have had shorter and more secure supply lines by invading on the west coast rather than the expected east.

They were reconnoitering the West, but after Perth, where? It would be like travelling from London to Moscow through the desert!

So,if Japanese empire invade and ruled Australia sucessful,Those Australian will love the Japanese in depth? Just like west countries took Japan as best friend after second war?
Maybe those Australian will greet Japs after Japs conquer them:" oh yeah, baby,oh yeah, baby",give me a good job! beat me,rape me, harder,harder,hit me face,kick my ass, torture me! I am very high.
" Oh yeah,baby,yeah, baby! yeah, baby!broke my leg,hit my face,rape me! I am very high."

Remember,the European only trust "jungle law" ,"only the strong can survive,the weak were taken! "Any other beatiful words are Bullsh!t!:mrgreen:

this will be a fairly open question but did the Japanese really have any chance at an invasion of Australia, certainly they were heading through Papua New Guinea and I have no doubt they may have tried a landing but did they seriously think they much chance of taking and holding it?

If you look at the size of the country its geographical location, climate and terrain (namely it is an island) the chances of a country the size of Japan successfully holding such a territory would have been extremely difficult especially given that they were still engaged on a land front through out China and sub-continent.

So,if Japanese empire invade and ruled Australia sucessful,Those Australian will love the Japanese in depth? Just like west countries took Japan as best friend after second war?
Maybe those Australian will greet Japs after Japs conquer them:" oh yeah, baby,oh yeah, baby",give me a good job! beat me,rape me, harder,harder,hit me face,kick my ass, torture me! I am very high.
" Oh yeah,baby,yeah, baby! yeah, baby!broke my leg,hit my face,rape me! I am very high."

Remember,the European only trust "jungle law" ,"only the strong can survive,the weak were taken! "Any other beatiful words are Bullsh!t!:mrgreen:
I have seen "Pearl Harbor Survivor" licence plates on Toyotas, Hondas, ect.

Oh just get over it, WW2 is over and we won nothing we say here will change that.
We are not responsible for the failings of the KMT and nor do we have to really give a flying rats arse about the PRC so there it is in a nut shell for ya, accept it or not its your call.

I think the Japanese had their eyes on taking Australia, but what with their involvement in China and all across the Pacific they would not have had the man power to hold all these places.

What a disaster landing in the top end of Australia it would have been for Japan!
Rudimentary roads(dirt tracks) washed away during the wet season, no food. All livestock moved south and all out lying cattle stations prepapred to blow up all dams infrastructure and wells, population gone except for mounted militia (citizen forces) and the regulars preparing for strikes as necessary. I am not sure how serious we were with the Brisbane line concept but either way the vast distances, lack of adequte resources and the harsh climate would have made any invasion attempt pretty much a fools role of the dice.
This still applys today.

True but then the allies thought the same thing about the conditions in South East Asia and Japanese forces still managed to cope with them.

Do you think we save very much American and English people lives in world war 2 is for free? Nothing is for free in the world! American support Japan and South korean isn't for free, just want use of them! or help Taiwainese isn't for free! If we help west countries in second world war,the west countries don't help us, I can bet nobody should help the west people henceforth.

Of course, the European can tell Earth people they are the strongest race on the Earth , they no need any race help them or rescue them!
If our KMT know the European are so cheap beforehand, they very enjoyed the Japs bloody killed abuse them or insulted them! I think we won't alliance with west in second world war!

Oh just get over it, WW2 is over and we won nothing we say here will change that.
We are not responsible for the failings of the KMT and nor do we have to really give a flying rats arse about the PRC so there it is in a nut shell for ya, accept it or not its your call.

Last edited:
Do you think we save very much American and English people lives in world war 2 is for free? Nothing is for free in the world! American support Japan and South korean isn't for free, just want use of them! or help Taiwainese isn't for free! If we help west countries in second world war,the west countries don't help us, I can bet nobody should help the west people henceforth.

Of course, the European can tell Earth people they are the strongest race on the Earth , they no need any race help them or rescue them!
If our KMT know the European are so cheap beforehand, they very enjoyed the Japs bloody killed abuse them or insulted them! I think we won't alliance with west in second world war!

WHAT?:?:

I think the supply lines may have been a bit shorter??? Not sure.

From a Japanese point of view the supply lines to the west coast of Australia would certainly have been shorter and more secure for the Australians though supplies still had to come through the USA.

The problem for the Japanese is that they just did not have the manpower to do the job, most of the territory they had conquered to that date was relatively apathetic to being ruled by Japan as they had been part of someones empire for hundreds of years, Australia and New Zealand would have been vastly different mindsets.

Back