Japananse plans for the South Pacific (WW2)...

--

September 10th, 2008  
MontyB

Topic: Japananse plans for the South Pacific (WW2)...

this will be a fairly open question but did the Japanese really have any chance at an invasion of Australia, certainly they were heading through Papua New Guinea and I have no doubt they may have tried a landing but did they seriously think they much chance of taking and holding it?

If you look at the size of the country its geographical location, climate and terrain (namely it is an island) the chances of a country the size of Japan successfully holding such a territory would have been extremely difficult especially given that they were still engaged on a land front through out China and sub-continent.
September 10th, 2008  
03USMC

I think they did seriously think they could take and hold Australia at least until late 42 or early 43. Given their accomplishments in late 41 and early 42 in Malyasia, Singpore, the Philippines, Indo China, etc. I believe that they thought Oz was doable.

They were also in the habit of over estimating themselves and underestimating the Allies at this point in the war.
September 11th, 2008  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I think they did seriously think they could take and hold Australia at least until late 42 or early 43. Given their accomplishments in late 41 and early 42 in Malyasia, Singpore, the Philippines, Indo China, etc. I believe that they thought Oz was doable.

They were also in the habit of over estimating themselves and underestimating the Allies at this point in the war.
USMC03

They did actually think they could take it. The invasion plans were already drawn up, Fortunately The Battle of Coral Sea put and end to the idea.

Its just amazing that they could have been so arrogant. Japan is a tiny country, Australia is a enormous one and most of it is wild. They might have been able to hold the cities Sydney, Darwin etc, but anything outside a 10 mile radius would have been ungovernable. And remember they were already quite overextended both in the South Pacific and in China.
--
September 11th, 2008  
03USMC

I have no doubt that they thought could and planned to do it.

Like I said at this time in the war the IJA & IJN over estimated their own abilities.

They also under estimated the allies due to a string of easy early victories.

They thought of China as conquered and were arrogant enough to truly believe the Allies would fold in the Pacific.
September 11th, 2008  
MontyB

From what I have seen their plans for an Australian invasion were pretty hit and miss, it has some support from Japanese naval planning staff but had no support from Yamamoto or the Japanese cabinet.

Plans ranged from small scale landings in remote parts of Australia to a full scale landing requiring up to 20 divisions which would have been twice the number of troops used in the entire pacific campaign to that date.

On the whole it really just seemed like they were deluded.
December 5th, 2012  
Rowan

The Japanese had no real plans for the invasion of Australia. They had actually occupied some uninhabited islands of the northern WA coast and bombed many towns in the North. This was all highly censored during the war. The Brisbane line focussed any defence of Australia below the Tropic of Capricorn. The real problem for the Japanese would have been the shear size and in-hospitality of the North and very extended supply lines (the had been all but exhausted as far as New Guinea). Had they tried to invade, it would have been their equivalent of Operation Barbarossa to the Germans, even with our low population. The land-mass itself would have beaten them
December 5th, 2012  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
The Japanese had no real plans for the invasion of Australia. They had actually occupied some uninhabited islands of the northern WA coast and bombed many towns in the North. This was all highly censored during the war. The Brisbane line focussed any defence of Australia below the Tropic of Capricorn. The real problem for the Japanese would have been the shear size and in-hospitality of the North and very extended supply lines (the had been all but exhausted as far as New Guinea). Had they tried to invade, it would have been their equivalent of Operation Barbarossa to the Germans, even with our low population. The land-mass itself would have beaten them
I agree although I have often wondered whether they would not have had shorter and more secure supply lines by invading on the west coast rather than the expected east.
December 5th, 2012  
Rowan

They were reconnoitering the West, but after Perth, where? It would be like travelling from London to Moscow through the desert!
December 5th, 2012  
VDKMS

For the Japanese Australia was to big to take.
December 28th, 2012  
udaka

So,if Japanese empire invade and ruled Australia sucessful,Those Australian will love the Japanese in depth? Just like west countries took Japan as best friend after second war?
Maybe those Australian will greet Japs after Japs conquer them:" oh yeah, baby,oh yeah, baby",give me a good job! beat me,rape me, harder,harder,hit me face,kick my ass, torture me! I am very high.
" Oh yeah,baby,yeah, baby! yeah, baby!broke my leg,hit my face,rape me! I am very high."

Remember,the European only trust "jungle law" ,"only the strong can survive,the weak were taken! "Any other beatiful words are Bullsh!t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
this will be a fairly open question but did the Japanese really have any chance at an invasion of Australia, certainly they were heading through Papua New Guinea and I have no doubt they may have tried a landing but did they seriously think they much chance of taking and holding it?

If you look at the size of the country its geographical location, climate and terrain (namely it is an island) the chances of a country the size of Japan successfully holding such a territory would have been extremely difficult especially given that they were still engaged on a land front through out China and sub-continent.