Japanís New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier? - Page 2

--

September 21st, 2007  
chronoserpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Well theres the volleyball nets, shuffleboard sticks etc. they all take up a good amount of room.

So THAT's what the huge deck is for: volleyball! Duh, you can't play sports when your deck is all cluttered with weapons and sensors! And here we were all thinking it was a mini aircraft carrier!
September 21st, 2007  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Umm I am not so sure about that, I think even the Japanese must have figured out by now that they are in economic decline and have neither the resources nor population to be a superpower.
Actually I'm pretty sure. They sure as heck act like it and they show up to the Dokdo islands to measure South Korea's response. They are gearing towards turning the Self Defense Force into a Defense Force. There is a surge of nationalism in Japan right now. Also the rise of China is also motivating them to gear up as well. Believe me, these guys aren't all defeatist about the Yen doing bad for a while.
Japan is looking to make this transformation (which would change ROEs and laws regulating their Self Defense Force) before the 2045 date issued to them at the end of World War II.
September 23rd, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Actually I'm pretty sure. They sure as heck act like it and they show up to the Dokdo islands to measure South Korea's response. They are gearing towards turning the Self Defense Force into a Defense Force. There is a surge of nationalism in Japan right now. Also the rise of China is also motivating them to gear up as well. Believe me, these guys aren't all defeatist about the Yen doing bad for a while.
Japan is looking to make this transformation (which would change ROEs and laws regulating their Self Defense Force) before the 2045 date issued to them at the end of World War II.
They can be as nationalist as they like but with China sitting on their doorstep with a couple of billion people they will have their hands full just concentrating on defense.
Try as they might they will still struggle to be a regional power with China sitting there.
--
September 23rd, 2007  
A Can of Man

The Japanese do have the capability of being a major pacific power, but yes I agree the Chinese will trump them anyways.
The Chinese have a huge advantage in that the ethnic Chinese minorities in Southeast Asia are filthy rich and have access or own most of Southeast Asia's resources. Ripe for the Chinese to take full advantage of later on.
The Japanese of course, won't take this lying down. Chances are the US will cooperate with Japan's rise as a means to contain the Chinese.
Japan's forces may be geared more towards a mutual defense kind of arrangement with the US... a bit like how South Korea's military has been so far.
On that note, South Korea is screwed.
October 27th, 2007  
rock45

Topic: Most likely in time

I think down the road in time Japan will join the F-35 group and the F-35Bs aircraft will be flying off it's deck. I think there's a slim chance that India may purchase this aircraft down the road as well. Is Brazil's aircraft carrier still operational maybe some sales might be found in South America? It might be mothballed I'm not sure, funding problems. I know the French won't buy American am I leaving out any other carrier user or owner?

LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 PROGRAM ACHIEVES CRITICAL MILESTONE

STOVL Variant Completes Successful “Power On”

FORT WORTH, Texas, October 26th, 2007 -- Electrical power was applied to the Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35B Lightning II for the first time Thursday night, initiating a series of ground tests that will lead to the inaugural flight of the short-takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) stealth fighter next spring.
“The successful ‘power-on’ demonstrates that the integration of this unique aircraft is progressing to plan. It signals that production of our first F-35B Lightning II is on track for first flight next year, a key step toward realizing the aviation future of the U.S. Marines, the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy,” said Dan Crowley, Lockheed Martin executive vice president and F-35 program general manager. The aircraft is scheduled to roll out of the factory in December.
The F-35 will be the most electronically advanced aircraft ever built, with capabilities unavailable in current multi-role fighters. The F-35B’s power-on is an incremental process of testing the aircraft’s circuits, electronic components and wiring.

Full story
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/p...35poweron.html