Japan’s New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier?

rock45

Japan’s New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier?
Launch of Vessel Prompted by China’s Growing Submarine Force
By WENDELL MINNICK, TAIPEI

Japan’s launch of a helicopter-carrying destroyer may signal its ambition to expand its naval capabilities and eventually join international coalitions abroad. The 13,500-ton DDH 181 Hyuga, launched on Aug. 23 at the IHI Marine United shipyard in Yokohama, was viewed by some as Japan’s first aircraft carrier since World War II.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3000171&C=landwar

And it was made under extreme security as well. They don't even have public photos of it. And this was a Japanese carrier. A basic carrier but a carrier nonetheless. If Japan is purchasing JSFs, the Marine Corps version that is, this will be no different than an aircraft carrier. I think ultimately that is their goal.

The Japanese have always had this thing for hybrid warships. The last IJN Hyuga was a Hybrid Aircraft Carrier-Battleship during WWII.

This quote caught my eye...

“The Hyuga is a big step forward to demonstrate Japan’s capability to construct full-fledged aircraft carriers in the future.”

"In the Future"? Does Japan plan on building CV's or CVN's?

Found a Photo, she doesn't look like a Destroyer to me...

800px-JMSDF_DDH_181_Hyuga.jpg

Last edited:
..she definatly a flat-top, however she has no catapults and she looks too small for fixed wing. F-35 SVOTL perhaps?

I might take a strictly hypothetical guess and say she is a testbed for a future CV or CVN design. It makes sense for the Japanese to want carriers. She required a powerful Naval strike ability and most of the major powers in the area already have them, are are planning to get them.

The Chinese want a carrier fleet, the Japanese want a carrier fleet... at least they want to be ready for it when the day comes that their Self Defense Force is reorganized as the Defense Force (no, really, that's the name they're looking to go by).
From eyeballing it, that top doesn't look too much smaller than any Tarawa Class Amphibious Assault Ship.
Japan's not the only one. South Korea has already launched their version called the RoKS DodkDo and there are two more of the class that will be built.
Funny thing though is South Korea is not slated to recieve any F-35s.
Anyways, this Hyuga class "Destroyer" has a greater displacement than the HMS Invincible, if that gives you any comparison. The Invicible was a Harrier operating aircraft carrier.

This ship draws a lot of comparisons in my mind to the Royal Navy's Invincible class. We call them (the Invincibles) light aircraft carriers now, but when they were made there was so much opposition against building carriers that they were called "Flush Deck Cruisers". Very similar to these ships being called "destroyers". Is there any opposition to CV's by the Japanese people or government? Or are they trying to make their re-entry into the Carrier Club a little discreet?

Japan has given no word if these will carry F-35, but that's ridiculously obvious that they will. The ship can accommodate 11 aircraft in the hangar, but is only carrying 4 helicopters. Hm... I wonder what the extra space is for...

The only surprising thing to me is that they didn't build a ski-jump on it so the future F-35s can make STOVLs more easily.

Last edited:
I guess a ski jump at this point would be too obvious.
Japan is looking to be a world super power once again. There is quite a desire in Japan to own a nuclear weapon.

This ship draws a lot of comparisons in my mind to the Royal Navy's Invincible class. We call them light aircraft carriers now, but when they were made there was so much opposition against building carriers that they were called "Flush Deck Cruisers". Very similar to these ships being called "destroyers". Is there any opposition to CV's by the Japanese people or government? Or are they trying to make their re-entry into the Carrier Club a little discreet?

Yeah I don't think there are too many who would disagree that this is a light carrier.

Japan has given no word if these will carry F-35, but that's ridiculously obvious that they will. The ship can accommodate 11 aircraft in the hangar, but is only carrying 4 helicopters. Hm... I wonder what the extra space is for...

Well theres the volleyball nets, shuffleboard sticks etc. they all take up a good amount of room.

I guess a ski jump at this point would be too obvious.
Japan is looking to be a world super power once again. There is quite a desire in Japan to own a nuclear weapon.

Umm I am not so sure about that, I think even the Japanese must have figured out by now that they are in economic decline and have neither the resources nor population to be a superpower.

Last edited:
Well theres the volleyball nets, shuffleboard sticks etc. they all take up a good amount of room.

So THAT's what the huge deck is for: volleyball! Duh, you can't play sports when your deck is all cluttered with weapons and sensors! And here we were all thinking it was a mini aircraft carrier! :p

Umm I am not so sure about that, I think even the Japanese must have figured out by now that they are in economic decline and have neither the resources nor population to be a superpower.

Actually I'm pretty sure. They sure as heck act like it and they show up to the Dokdo islands to measure South Korea's response. They are gearing towards turning the Self Defense Force into a Defense Force. There is a surge of nationalism in Japan right now. Also the rise of China is also motivating them to gear up as well. Believe me, these guys aren't all defeatist about the Yen doing bad for a while.
Japan is looking to make this transformation (which would change ROEs and laws regulating their Self Defense Force) before the 2045 date issued to them at the end of World War II.

Actually I'm pretty sure. They sure as heck act like it and they show up to the Dokdo islands to measure South Korea's response. They are gearing towards turning the Self Defense Force into a Defense Force. There is a surge of nationalism in Japan right now. Also the rise of China is also motivating them to gear up as well. Believe me, these guys aren't all defeatist about the Yen doing bad for a while.
Japan is looking to make this transformation (which would change ROEs and laws regulating their Self Defense Force) before the 2045 date issued to them at the end of World War II.

They can be as nationalist as they like but with China sitting on their doorstep with a couple of billion people they will have their hands full just concentrating on defense.
Try as they might they will still struggle to be a regional power with China sitting there.

The Japanese do have the capability of being a major pacific power, but yes I agree the Chinese will trump them anyways.
The Chinese have a huge advantage in that the ethnic Chinese minorities in Southeast Asia are filthy rich and have access or own most of Southeast Asia's resources. Ripe for the Chinese to take full advantage of later on.
The Japanese of course, won't take this lying down. Chances are the US will cooperate with Japan's rise as a means to contain the Chinese.
Japan's forces may be geared more towards a mutual defense kind of arrangement with the US... a bit like how South Korea's military has been so far.
On that note, South Korea is screwed.

Most likely in time

I think down the road in time Japan will join the F-35 group and the F-35Bs aircraft will be flying off it's deck. I think there's a slim chance that India may purchase this aircraft down the road as well. Is Brazil's aircraft carrier still operational maybe some sales might be found in South America? It might be mothballed I'm not sure, funding problems. I know the French won't buy American am I leaving out any other carrier user or owner?

LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 PROGRAM ACHIEVES CRITICAL MILESTONE

STOVL Variant Completes Successful “Power On”

FORT WORTH, Texas, October 26th, 2007 -- [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]Electrical power was applied to the Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35B Lightning II for the first time Thursday night, initiating a series of ground tests that will lead to the inaugural flight of the short-takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) stealth fighter next spring.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]“The successful ‘power-on’ demonstrates that the integration of this unique aircraft is progressing to plan. It signals that production of our first F-35B Lightning II is on track for first flight next year, a key step toward realizing the aviation future of the U.S. Marines, the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy,” said Dan Crowley, Lockheed Martin executive vice president and F-35 program general manager. The aircraft is scheduled to roll out of the factory in December.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]The F-35 will be the most electronically advanced aircraft ever built, with capabilities unavailable in current multi-role fighters. The F-35B’s power-on is an incremental process of testing the aircraft’s circuits, electronic components and wiring.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]Full story[/FONT]
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/press_releases/2007/1026ae_f35poweron.html

Back