japan and china, in the future

I think there could be something like a 2nd Falklands war for those disputed islands (Diaoyu?), but I dont think any side would risk a nuclear war just to satisfy their nationalist hubris.

As my other post was deleted I think I need to explain: Of course the comparison to the Nazi boycot of Jewish retailers is not just a bit exaggerated, still I find it hard to understand why a protest against a schoolbook or even the Japanese policy in general needs to include attacking private japanese property, and boycotting japanese businesses in China. What do japanese people who do business in China have to do with their governments actions? To me those riots seemed like a state-approved anti-japanese pogrom, hence the picture.

Regards, loki

Loki wrote:

still I find it hard to understand why a protest against a schoolbook or even the Japanese policy in general needs to include attacking private japanese property, and boycotting japanese businesses in China. What do japanese people who do business in China have to do with their governments actions? To me those riots seemed like a state-approved anti-japanese pogrom, hence the picture.

The problem is that China does not want Japan in UNSC, I think that the text book problem is just an excuse.
China is the only asian representative country in UNSC, and they do not want another one.
That´s it.

He...

Staruo, friend has no problem of letting friend(s) joining the flock. But, in reality, Japan is no friend of China. In fact, Japan is no friend of most Asian countries. So, don't just point finger at China when in realityJ apan does not deserve to be in UNSC other than being economic power.

Re: He...

Boobies said:
Staruo, friend has no problem of letting friend(s) joining the flock. But, in reality, Japan is no friend of China. In fact, Japan is no friend of most Asian countries. So, don't just point finger at China when in realityJ apan does not deserve to be in UNSC other than being economic power.

Well, I pointed China because there was where the protests were taking place. Why do you think he doesn´t deserve to be in UNSC? Not all countries in UNSC have to be friends, just think about USSR and USA 15 years ago...
I think UN needs a big reform, the best options is to open SC to other countries, mostly not developed ones..Other thing I would do is to eliminate the "veto" right and create another sistem.

Ok...

Not all natioons are friends in UNSC. You are right, no doubt here.
My mistake of mingle friendship and UN membership. However, to support a nation joining UNSC nowadays, there will be more to consider inturns of threat, relationship gap and such. At this present time, Japan-China are not in an eye-to-eye level in turns of supporting one to become a member of global organization.

My reason of not supporting Japan joining UNSC are:
1. Intention of changing WWII history in Japan's history books in numerous instances, justifying the invasion of Asian countries using "liberation from the Western domination" as motto.

2. Denying WWII sex-slaves law suits and claims based on modern law of "statue of limitation" WWII atrocities =/= Isurance Claim (US did compensate and apologized for its mistreatment of Japanese-American during the great ware a few years ago.)

3. Refuse to apologize AS A NATION for the wrongs it created for Chinese, Koreans, Philipinos, Malays, Singaporeans, Aussies (not sure), etc (there are more Asian countries got abused). No responsibilities!

4. Racism against all froeigners in social enviornments. The westerners are being treated slight better compare to Asians (To experience this, you must live there long enough. Tourist trips ain't cut it.)

5. Low Interest LOANS, investment, and money can resolve all issues mentality. (People hear lot of Japan uses low-interest LOANs as form of compensation). LOAN = COMPENSATION...WTH! Total mentality of Money can avoid any responsibilities. Using Facade of Economic power to get sympathies from the west, yet show no sympathies to Asian neighbors on past issues.

6. Current event of issuing Oil drilling contracts to Japanese oil companies on disputed water. Now the area is in China-Japan disputed islands, not Korean-Japan disputed area. WHY IS THAT? Racism towards China? Japan targets to work with Korea with disputed islands, but not China? And is that ok?

7. Visitation of shrine by government officials with 14 Class A WWII War Criminals entombed. What do you and the world think of Germans visit Hitler and his henchmen's tombs.

Now, you can easily use Russia and China to compare with Japan's current senario. However, Russia and China are seperate issues from Japan's bid for UNSC. With today's politics, wouldn't you agree that more investigation into potential members should be promoted? If Japan could join UNSC, why don't we allow Vietname, all coutries from Africa, Cambodia, and any other coutries you think of to join the Counsel?

PS. I can only think 7 points counter Japan's bid for UNSC at this moment but I know there are more to post if time permits.

As you said Japan had probable made many mistakes, but some members os UNSC have made them as well... Did Russia apologised for the GULAG concentration camps? What about Tibet? Have European countries apologised for the african colony times?

I do not think that for being a member of SC you have to be perfect. All countries have bounderies disputes...

In think that in UNSC should be at least three members from each continet, in order to make all of them representatives and do not let all the protagonism to just one of them.

Eh...

Staruo, did you read and think through the list or just bypass most of them because they don't fit your vision? Yes, Japan did make mistakes, yet UNLIKE GERMANY, Japan is still making the same mistakes and worst, Japan is changing history taught in schools.

The mistakes I listed are not just simple mistakes. They involved with racism and nation supremacy issues. Indo-China are working towards resolving disputes eventhough they got ways to go. However, Japan is doing nothing to resolve problems in Asia except stepping up racism (against Asians) behind alliance with the US and economic power.

I think that there is plenty of good reason to be bitter at Japan if you China, for the same reason that Jews are not in love with Nazis. Still, it would be nice to see the two nation reconcile their differences. Otherwise, it is one of several unlit powderkegs ready to see SE Asia explode into a terrible wars. Japan has done little to encourage China to be very forgiving. China hasn't had the best attitude either, mind you, but Japan ought to have the decency to appologize.

MadeInChina said:
lol you think chinese military build up is a threat??

a big superpower like china deserves at least a military like us military, something to keep in mind that china has to defend the world's most border with the most neighbors

after some 100 years of humiliation and foreign intervention, china deserves a top notch army, a super economy, and the influence it deserves to spread around asia, becuase simply this is teh wish of every one of the 14 bilion chinese

this is the nature of history, nothing can prevent this type of cycle from becoming real, japan had her time, but she threw it away by being a hefty agressor

I agree that China is big but I have to disagree that it has graduated to Superpower status.

then why is china WTO and one of the 5 countries in the senior UN positions

well, in china, especially eastern china, almost every family is affected by jap agressors, this produced hatred unlike any other seen

his hatred is more than justified, for not admiting history is not a good thing

so many of you argue that china should drop the case... HOW can that happen if japan does not even admit they did it, cmon, their financial minister is having a day dream where the japanese have conquered asia for the good of humanity.

before you think the chinese protests are too rough or that china should jusst forgive, think this:

rock throwing is alot more peaceful than threats to kill all chinese and shooting a chinese bank in OSaka

The country with the highest mortality in history anywhere during world war II, almost everybody is affected by it, brutality is the norm and almost every crime imaginable is done in china

if they wanted to make peace, or progress in the world, they must have a national applogy in whcch a half flag for 8 days( for the 8 years of invasion) , thousands of billions of dollars( perhaps more) of money to be repayed for damages done in the past, for past sufferings in human lives and inferstuture, as well, change their text books

they must admit their wrongdoings or else there is nothing better to say

MadeInChina said:
then why is china WTO and one of the 5 countries in the senior UN positions
Because it is one of the great powers. Like Russia, Britain and so forth. But the US are the "sole remaining superpower" - that's a notion you hear in about every documentary on the US and foreign affairs, so there must be some kind of consesus on this.

If any Superpower currently exists other than the United States, it would have to be China. (I would not say that they are the USA's equal mind you. Not yet anyways.)
1.) Largest population in the world, so their manpower resources are immense. Their natural resources are also immense.
2.) True, their military is not 100% up to speed with the what other militaries have in terms of technology and equipment. But they are catching up. And they can put numbers into the field that nobody but India can hope to match. This more than makes up for what they may lack.
3.) They are a nuclear power. Not up there with the USA and Russia in numbers, but they still have one helluva a lot of nukes. Currently able to wipe out any one nation on Earth with their stockpile.
4.) They have the second greatest GDP on Earth, second only to the United States. Long long ways behind the USA right now, but they are growing very very fast.

Where they are not a true Superpower is in influence. The USSR and USA competed pretty equally throughout the Cold War for influencing events and nations Worldwide. Because of their many diplomatic blunders in the past, China does not have that level of influence. There is substantial mistrust for the People's Repulbic of China. The PRC has an uphill climb against their reputation and history in this department. They're doing well right now. Time will tell.

well about time too, after 200 years of humulation and teh downfall of the chinese emperorial system, we have suffered so much, lost so much , especially time

in today's world, exonomy is the key point

Is not a bad thing for China to invade Japan. I do not appose this, becoz it is simple :

1. They r arrogant
2. Revenge
3. Grab their wealth away.

I just don't like them.

Remember, they indirectly made China into a Communist country, destroyed China's golden decade in economic developement in 20's to 30's. Also indirectly causing the Taiwan-China problem.

Remember, Japan never reveive any bad things from China when China were strong.

Admin edit: Carefull with the country bashing! Consider this a warning!

Ezechiel said:
Is not a bad thing for China to invade Japan. I do not appose this, becoz it is simple :

1. They r arrogant
2. Revenge
3. Grab their wealth away.

I just don't like them.

Remember, they indirectly made China into a Communist country, destroyed China's golden decade in economic developement in 20's to 30's. Also indirectly causing the Taiwan-China problem.

Remember, Japan never reveive any bad things from China when China were strong.
I wish the desire of the Chinese people to punish Japan for its crimes was less automatic. Yes, Japan did some truly terrible things. Nobody is going to say that China has nothing to be angry about. But why preach vengence when it only leads to more terrible things happening.

Japan has gone through an interesting transition since World War II. Their society was completely centered around the warrior and honor and so on. War was an integral part of how they defined themselves as a nation. That was taken from them when their military was disolved after WW2. They have some very strong limitations built into their Constitution that keep them from ever being that sort of conquerer nation for a very long time to come. They learned from their defeat that perhaps the idea of Empire and Conquest were not the best way to make Japan great. Pacivism and the promotion of peace have grown into the Japanese culture and way of life. Japan is more economically powerful now than they ever were, comparitively to the rest of the world, before 1945. They know full well that peace is the best environment to continue this.

China may feel justified in invading Japan to punish them for their past cirmes, but they would not be invading the same Japan that did those things to China. They would be invading a Japan that would never do such things ever again. In short, they would be invading a completely different Japan altogehter. China's wish for revenge is probably taking matters too far and pointing the region toward a dangerous future.

On a side note, Japan does have a very strong defense force. Nothing compared to the PLA is power, but more than enough to turn any type of amphibious or airborne invasion of Japan into a very bloody mess for the invader. Is China willing to lose those soldiers? Is the vengence worth the price?

What about the Tiananmen Square killings and the massacres in Tibet that the Chinese Government committed and countless other bloody revolts against the government that take place in china?

then ur the arrogant one, these protests are solely the true feelings of the chinese people, not the government, the truth is out there, the japanese have done those babaric crimes in the past, and should be punished severely for it

dont draw the government into this, this has nothing to do with that

don't blame the japanese ppl then, protest against their government, don't throw bottles, eggs at japanese shops in china and harass them

all the BS that some guy blabbered about the japanese ppl above should be applied to him first

if you blame the jap. government then blame ur government too for committing horrendous crimes in tibet and tiananmen square and god knows how many others

Back