Japan changes name of Iwo Jima (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - Japan has returned to using the prewar name for the island of Iwo Jima — site of one of World War II's most horrific battles — at the urging of its original inhabitants, who want to reclaim an identity they say has been hijacked by high-profile movies like Clint Eastwood's "Letters from Iwo Jima."

More...

Even the Pacific islanders have gone PC

Iwo Jima... original inhabitants

WTF, over? This is news to me, I thought this was just another bloody rock. There were people on this stinking island? I'll be damned. They sound like imbeciles though... "hijacked by movies"? Dumbasses, what about the feckin war?!? The ability of people to miss the fookin boat knows no bounds.

My $ .02, its Iwo Jima, that name was etched in stone with the blood of my countrymen and I don't give a good God damn what anyone else thinks on it.
:rambo:

In solidarity with Bulldogg and Tomtom, we Down Under will not forget the original name nor the sacrifices made upon it.

:salute:

Thoughts in random order:

It's Japanese territory, they can call it Hidikie's Hot Rock for all it matters, it'll still be Iwo Jima to those who matter to me.

Japan has been one of our better allies in many ways since the end of WW2 but they do spend an awful lot of time and effort trying to pretend that WW2 never really happened.
Oh well, if they weren't foreign devily in their ways, they wouldn't be foreigners. Not having the strangeness of foreigners would take half the fun out of traveling.

So, rewrite the maps and apply your new labels but it's still our Iwo Jima.

Back