Japan Arms Limitations

Whispering Death

It's a frequent subject on this board, the limitations on the Japanese military. So for those of us not so well versed in the limitations could you guys spell out the major points in the document(s) and if they are a for ever and ever imposition or does it have some kind of sunset clause or something like that?

Well, they cannot be deployed for any other reason other than
1) UN peacekeeping missions
2) Incidents which endanger the national security of Japan.
The 2nd was stretched in the war on terror when Japanese warships fired cruise missiles against the Taleban. The Taleban threat was considered a threat to the whole world, and therefore also posed a national security problem to Japan.
Also, Japan has sent non-combat troops to Iraq.

They also cannot freely import weapons and they cannot export them.

This law is said to expire in 2045.

I think their military limitations should be ended. They would make a good counter balance to China in the region.

I don't think thier are actual number restraits on units but I believe thier is a limit on how many personnel they can have serving.

Big_Z said:
I think their military limitations should be ended. They would make a good counter balance to China in the region.

We'll have to see. The Japanese are also doing some muscle flexing too. It's not simple at all. This is a very bad neighborhood.

Not to mention, a lot of Koreans remember when they used to be oppressed by Japanese troops, as the Korean Penninsula was occupied by Japan for several decades until the end of World War II. The Japanese military expands, and just watch how quickly South Korea follows suit. It was that kind of arms race that helped trigger World War I in Europe. And I'm not entirely sure that China would sit back idol and let anybody get enough military power to challenge them in their own backyard.

Could be interesting to see how the United States would handle that kind of conflict. 3 US allies duking it out in Asia would be one huge problem. And who do you support in that kind of situation?

I believe the Japanese are too anti-war for that. It would just be a strong deterrent. They lost at a horrible cost in their last conflict, they don't want to go through that again.

Big_Z said:
I believe the Japanese are too anti-war for that. It would just be a strong deterrent. They lost at a horrible cost in their last conflict, they don't want to go through that again.

In time, memories fade. The impact of Hiroshima and Nagasaki will fade. In saying that it's a difficult one to call as for so long Japan was at war, either internally or with her neighbours. I have no idea how much Bushido there is left in Japan, who seem to be culturally awed by the US and Western Europe, at least from the perspective I get.

I also am not up-to-date on the Japan-Korea relationship. I know it was very bad in the past.

Japan - Korea relationship MUST improve.
The Japanese side needs to distance itself with its war criminals of old, and South Korea must learn to friggin' forgive the current generation for the crimes of their previous generation (or 2 generations ago in some cases). With the sheer number of churches around here, you might think that forgiving and loving may have entered these people's minds a long time ago but sadly the churches have been failing like hell in their primary objective.
Right now, the Japanese made fresh claims to the Dokdo islands (which they call Takeshima). It's clearly a Korean island because the inhabitants were Koreans. The reason why Japan claims it is that the first REGISTERED resident of Dokdo was Japanese. Even though this guy came much much later.
Basically after the whole colonial era stuff, South Korea is not willing to give an inch of land or sea to the Japanese.
The Chinese and the North Koreans know that the best way to win South Korea over is the Anti-Japanese sentiment.

It would not take Japan long to rebuild if the limitations were lifted.They are one of the worlds most industrialized and technilogicly advanced nation in the world. Of the like 700,000 'working' robots in the world Japan operates around 50% of them.

Darcia said:
It would not take Japan long to rebuild if the limitations were lifted.They are one of the worlds most industrialized and technilogicly advanced nation in the world. Of the like 700,000 'working' robots in the world Japan operates around 50% of them.

Oh, they could rearm with tanks and such pretty quickly. Building up their naval forces, however, will take some time. Even with all the robotics and industrialization in the world, warships don't get constructed very quickly. Training the soldiers, sailors, and airmen for a large military takes a lot of time and effort as well.

the_13th_redneck said:
Japan - Korea relationship MUST improve.
The Japanese side needs to distance itself with its war criminals of old, and South Korea must learn to friggin' forgive the current generation for the crimes of their previous generation (or 2 generations ago in some cases). With the sheer number of churches around here, you might think that forgiving and loving may have entered these people's minds a long time ago but sadly the churches have been failing like h**l in their primary objective.
Right now, the Japanese made fresh claims to the Dokdo islands (which they call Takeshima). It's clearly a Korean island because the inhabitants were Koreans. The reason why Japan claims it is that the first REGISTERED resident of Dokdo was Japanese. Even though this guy came much much later.
Basically after the whole colonial era stuff, South Korea is not willing to give an inch of land or sea to the Japanese.
The Chinese and the North Koreans know that the best way to win South Korea over is the Anti-Japanese sentiment.

dude, i don't know how you get this kind of ideas. who is the bigest trading partner of south korea? not U.S, not japan, it's china, years ago! a news report is even suggesting that chinese market is feeding about 3 miilion south koreans!

anti-japanese sentiment is not something china invented or propaganda, it's the trues! when your fellow koreans fighting for the island of Dokdo, chinese were fighting for diaoyu island, and the eastern china sea. japan is expanding slowly because it's need of energy. and their history memory is lacking for the aisans to trust them fully! japan is the only country you can warship the war crimals of the ww2 on this plent.

man, japanese news agency even publicly demends BBC to stop lunching a documentry made by UK about the war crime in aisa days ago, they were denying everything in the history, how can you let it go?? you can crticize china's helping NK decades ago, but how can you mess those two things with the japanese? (not even mention a CNN news report of finding a US fighter pilot's body in china, which been shut down and crushed in that war, how the plane and the pilots ended up there? how close were the U.N forces to the chinese border?? )how can americans ignore the fact from the ww2 to let them slip away from the responsibility? they were been bombed, 3000 died hours after japan poposed "peace" to U.S you know! how can they come back to the U.N sercurity council when they still don't confess the reason of been baned the first place???????

IAmFighter said:
Darcia said:

Oh, they could rearm with tanks and such pretty quickly. Building up their naval forces, however, will take some time. Even with all the robotics and industrialization in the world, warships don't get constructed very quickly. Training the soldiers, sailors, and airmen for a large military takes a lot of time and effort as well.

Aircraft wouldn't be that big of a problem either,However if they realy put there industry into it they could get a good sized navy up in about 3 or 4 years.

Whispering Death said:
I want to challenge that statement Darcia, does Japan build any indiginous aircraft?

I can answer this question. For indiginous designs, they've got Mitsubishi F-1s, similar to the British Jaguar, and F-2 fighter-bombers, which are lightly modified F-16 Block 40s. I'm not sure, but they might also produce American E-2C Hawkeye AWACS aircraft as well under license.

They also can recieve limited production rights to some helo's and fighters as they have done before, they have there own versionfs of the Chinook I believe and is it the Huey?

Back