Jaguar

OORAH

hey all I'm 16, and have been looking for a car for some time now, and i think i've made my decision. there's a 1985 jaguar next door to my grandma's house that i've had my eye on, but i never looked into it because i thought it would be like 10 grand. well today, me and my mom finally decided to look into it, and low and behold, the price was a mere 2500. I was shocked, but it seems nothing is wrong with the car, in fact, it has new tires, radio and was recently inspected. it looks pretty cool, green ext with tan leather int. can't wait for my dad to get back home from his business trip so that he can check her out and give me the green light.

The thing that kills ya with cars like that is if you need a part, it costs a fortune to get a new one. It's not like a Ford or Toyota, you can't just pick them up anywhere. You have to go directed to a Jaguar dealer and they have to get them straight from the UK. Just something for you to think about. But good luck to ya. Jags are nice cars.

Good luck honey, I hope you get the ok.

First car yeah I remember what that is like. Cooooool :p

It's not just green, it's British Racing Green (and remember to roll those "r's"). :p But that's a beautiful color, my mom had a 1995 Jaguar XJ-12 in BRG with the light beige interior.

The Cooler King said:
The thing that kills ya with cars like that is if you need a part, it costs a fortune to get a new one. It's not like a Ford or Toyota, you can't just pick them up anywhere. You have to go directed to a Jaguar dealer and they have to get them straight from the UK.
The two major problems with a 1985 model (which I'm assuming is the Series III XJ-6 model you're looking at) is that (1) the reliability was a bit of a problem back then (in addition to the 1995 car, my mom also had a 1984 XJ-S which was great to drive, but had a few nit-picky things go wrong with it) and (2) it was before Ford picked up Jaguar, so parts will be hard to come by and the quality control processes that Ford implemented won't be there.

Good luck, they're still beautiful cars...

To illustrate The Cooler Kings example the other way around, American cars (Chrysler, Pontiac, etc) are cheap in Norway second hand but once you need a repair you risk paying 1/4th or 2/4th of the cars value just in parts. Work hours for the mechanics not included...

Jaguars not common up here, but Rovers seems to be the new trend in some parts of the population... Gimme one, please... :)

Remember one thing... it may be a cheap price for the car, but parts and labor to fix that car are going to be HUGE....

Plus Jags are a ***** on fuel...remember that. Costs a fortune to fill. They are a beautiful car, but for your first car I would go with something that is cheaper to run. But if you 'rents are going to pay for all of that, I say go for it! Im jealous... :( I have a clio (as its cheap to run), great little car. Always find parking :)

Now my dream car...'64 Porsche 911...oh man

Last edited:
you can get the car, and try to keep it in good conditions. Then get another car for your daily first time use. Cause as they said, parts and maintainance will cost. Second, I dont know if you want that to be your first car. Gain more experience using another car mabe? can help I tell ya. My first car was a SEAT Leon. I hated it, but as time went by, we just fell in luv ^_^

i could always go to my fallback car, my dad's 1964 red corvette stingray.

thats one sick car.

lol, heck yes.

looks like the jag is out of the picture, my dad went and took a look at it, and he said it would need about a thousand dollars worth of work put into it, and he didn't want me to drive a nicer car than him;)

it's looking real hopeful for a 2001 VW Jetta GLS i found on Autotrader.com for about $8000. it's between that and a 98 camaro.

Back