"Jægerkorpset" wants dangerous missions!

Morten

Translated by me :)

Jægerkorpset wants more dangerous missions!

The Danish Special Forces "Jægerkorpset", wants to have more dangerous international missions. - possibly Afghanistan or Africa.
Jyllands-Posten writes.

- Theres a fast advancement in todays Special Forces, and if we want to be some of the best Special Forces, it wont help to just train. We need to go out in the "real" world instead.

- We also wants to show what we can do for our co-op's in USA and EU, says Jægerkorpsets "Oberstløjtnant" Henrik H. Friis.

Got Applause in Afghanistan
The danish Elite forces, Jægerkorpset and Frømændskorpset, was stationed in Afghanistan in 2002, when they under Operation Enduring Freedom was a part of the war against al-Qaeda and the Taliban, they got great applause for their contribution.

They were later asked if they, under the Iraq-invasion in marts 2003, would have the responsibility in a large area west of Baghdad, and take out a part of the Iraqi airdefense.

But the government wasn't willing(sp?) to send the Danish troops into the wars early stages, and since then they have only done small missions in Iraq - Like defending high ranked military- or diplomatic officials.

The government wont promise any new missions for the Special Forces
- It might be that the Special Forces mean that its a reasonable thing to ask for, in a professional point of view. But its the government that decides if they're going to get any higher ranked missions or not. It cant be right that we're going to send them to a war and seek conflicts just because they want training, says Per Kaalund.

Hans Kristian Skibby compares the Special Forces to the Fire Department.
- Its just like the Fire Department, you got them, but you don't hope that you will need to use them. We can only send them to Africa, Iraq or Afghanistan if theres a mission, and Denmark doesn't have a tradition to stand first in line, when it comes to getting the big and dangerous international missions.

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2006/01/14/231538.htm

please tell me if theres something u dont understand and i'll try to explain :)

stupid danish government :2guns:

Nice post, thanks for sharing it with us. Looking back on the now so many theatres from Lebanon to Kosovo, it shows that Scandinavian soldiers are fully capable of completing dangerous missions and tasks with good results!

Forrest_Gump said:

frømændskorpset = Frog-mens-corps :)

the "Huntercorps/Jægerkorpset" is specialized in everything from Air to Sea... they're the best of the best here in DK ;)

The Scandinavian countries have traditionally had a neutralist foreign policy and a defensive military posture. They have been non-aligned with other military alliances. I doubt that their people or governments want to abandon that stance.

The Scandinavian countries have traditionally had a neutralist foreign policy and a defensive military posture. They have been non-aligned with other military alliances. I doubt that their people or governments want to abandon that stance.
What do you mean by non-aligned? Both Norway and Denmark are members of NATO.
Denmark has the last 15 years, adopted a more aggressive foreign policy.
We have participated in the first air strike in Afghanistan. Had combat troops in Iraq and fought with the Brits in Afghanistan for more than 13 years now. We participated in air strikes on Libya. And the Danish Navy is participating in pirate hunting at the moment. And
the majority of the population supports it.

I stand corrected.

You are correct when it comes to Sweden and Finland, even if Finland is not by definition a Scandinavian country, it's a Nordic country, though.

Swedish politicians and other officials get something painful in their eyes when the neutrality is raised in regards to the Swedish armed forces participation in NATO operations.

The older I get, the less that I think we need to meddle with other countries. I wish that we'd get to hell out of all foreign countries. All the lives that have been lost in Iraq and Afganistan, and all the money wasted, seems pretty stupid. I think the USA should worry about what happens inside of our own borders, if we even have borders anymore. Pretty sure the Danes can train without going to those sh!thole countries, too.

Back