J. Fonda's husband says NKorea is cool.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
I was shocked when I read this

To Blitzer's Amazement, Turner Defends
Jong, Treatment of People

Monday afternoon on CNN, to Wolf Blitzer's astonishment, Ted Turner, just back from a visit to North Korea, declared his belief in the sincerity of North Korea and how the U.S. can trust the regime's new deal to not build nuclear weapons. Turner rejected the "despotic" characterization of Kim Jong Il, insisting that "he didn't look too much different than most other people," or that he treats his people brutally since Turner saw the people "were thin," but "they were riding bicycles."
Listen to MP3 audio clip
Text of clip + audio archive

When Turner declared North Korea is not a "threat" to the U.S., Blitzer suggested their missiles could reach the U.S., prompting environmentalist Turner to dismissively retort: "Well, what, the Aleutian Islands? There's nothing up there but a few sea lions."

The lively exchange, caught by the MRC's Megan McCormack, took place at 3:25pm EDT on The Situation Room with Blitzer in DC and Turner via satellite from New York City.

Blitzer set up the September 19 segment: "The White House as they say is cautiously optimistic of a new pledge from North Korea to end its nuclear program. That announcement came today during six-party nuclear arms talks in Beijing. In a statement, North Korea says it's, quote, 'committed to abandoning all nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programs.' North Korea also says it wants to return to the treaty on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons. At the White House this morning, President Bush said he hopes North Korea lives up to its promise."
President George W. Bush: "They have said, in principle, that they will abandon their weapons programs. And what we have said is, great. That's a wonderful step forward, but now we've got to verify whether or not that happens."
Blitzer: "'Trust, but verify,' as they used to say. We want to talk a little bit more about today's developments involving North Korea with CNN founder and Chairman of Turner Enterprises, Ted Turner. He's joining us once again from New York. You spent some time recently in North Korea, Ted. Did this agreement come to you as a surprise?"
Ted Turner: "No. No. I talked with quite a few of the North Korean leaders and South Korean leaders, too, and spent really the most time with the head negotiator for North Korea. And I was really over there to try and persuade North and South Korea to make the DMZ into an international peace park when, when they sign a peace treaty, which I anticipate will be fairly soon, now that we have the six-party talks, we have agreement there. But I had a great time. I am absolutely convinced that the North Koreans are absolutely sincere. There's really no reason -- no reason for them to cheat or do anything to violate this very forward agreement. I mean, I think we can put the North Korea and East Asia problems behind us and concentrate on Iran and Iraq, where, where we still have some ongoing difficulties."
Blitzer countered: "I've got to tell you, Ted, given the record of North Korea, especially the fact that, in the Clinton administration in '93-'94, they made a similar pledge, which they violated and they backed out of, I'm not exactly sure that I accept all your optimism."
Turner: "Well, you know, I was optimistic about the Cold War when I got to Russia, too. But I looked them right in the eyes. And they looked like they meant the truth. I mean, you know, just because somebody's done something wrong in the past doesn't mean they can't do right in the future or in the present. That happens all the, all the time."
Blitzer: "But this is one of the most despotic regimes and Kim Jong Il is one of the worst men on Earth. Isn't that a fair assessment?"
Turner: "Well, I didn't get, I didn't get to meet him, but he didn't look, in the pictures that I've seen of him on CNN, he didn't look too much different than most other people."
Blitzer: "But look at the way, look at the way he's, look at the way he's treating his own people."
Turner asserted: "Well, hey, listen. I saw a lot of people over there. They were thin and they were riding bicycles instead of driving in cars, but ah-"
Blitzer: "Lot of those people are starving."
Turner: "I didn't see, I didn't see any, I didn't see any brutality in the capital or out in the, on the DMZ. We went, we visit, drove through the countryside quite a bit to get down to Panmunjom and Kaesong. We traveled around. I'm sure we were on a special route, but I don't see, there's really no reason, North Korea's got enough problems with their, with their economy and their agriculture. I think they want to join the western world and improve the quality of life for their people just like everybody else. And I think that we should give them another chance. It doesn't cost us anything. We already have agreements. And North Korea never posed any significant threat to the United States. I mean, the whole economy of North Korea's only $30 billion a year. It's less than the city of Detroit. It's a small place, and we do not have to worry about them attacking us."
Blitzer: "You know, they have a million troops within literally a few miles"
Turner: "A half million."
Blitzer: "Well, best estimates are a million. A million troops along the DMZ."
Turner: "We have a half a million troops, of which 28,000 are Americans and they've been there for 50 years. One of the things I said in both North and South Korea is it's time to end the Korean War officially and move on. And get those hundreds of thousands of young men that are sitting there back building hospitals and roads and schools in North and South Korea and improving the gross national product. It's just a waste of time and energy for them to sit there."
Blitzer: "I think the bottom line, though, Ted, and I think you'd agree, they had this opportunity in the '90s, when they signed this first agreement and they cheated. They didn't live up to it. Now they have a second chance. I hope you're right. I certainly do."
Turner: "Well I hope I'm right, too. But you know it's, in the Bible says you're supposed to forgive seven times seventy, or something like that, but just because, just because, you know, I mean, in 1940, the Germans were our enemies. For the last 50 years, they've been our allies. Same with the Russians were our enemies before '91 when the Cold War ended. Let's give 'em a break. Give 'em a break And besides, even if they do -- even if they do threaten us again, the threat is non-existent to the United States. They can't threaten us. I mean, it's like a fleet attacking an elephant."
Blitzer: "What about those ground to ground missiles that they have, and the CIA-"
Turner: "They can't reach us."
Blitzer: "Well, they can reach Japan. They can reach South Korea. They can reach a lot of our allies-"
Turner: "They can't reach the USA, and we can pound them into, into oblivion in 24 hours."
Blitzer: "But, you don't want to get, you don't want to get to that. There are some estimates, by the way, that could reach Alaska."
Turner: "Well, what, the Aleutian Islands? There's nothing up there but a few sea lions."
Blitzer: "Well, you know, this is a serious issue. I hope you're right, as I said-"
Turner: "I know it's a serious issue. I mean, I didn't go over there to waste my time."
Blitzer: "No, no, no. I'm just, I'm just saying the point you said-"
Turner: "Have you ever been there?"
Blitzer: "I've been to South Korea. I've been to the DMZ."
Turner: "Have you ever been to North Korea?"
Blitzer: "No, I've never been to North Korea."
Turner: "Well, you know, I mean, at least go up there and look in their eyes and have a chat with them before you -- before you accuse them of-"
Blitzer: "By the way, I've made several requests, but they haven't let me into North Korea. But maybe if I go with you the next time they'll let me in."
Turner: "Alright, I'll take you. I took Christiane Amanpour with me this time."

-- Brent Baker ( http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2005/cyb20050920.asp#2)

I know North Koreans who have fled to the south. North Korea makes the old Soviet Union and the pre-liberal market China look like Disneylands. The oppression, mind control, and economic mismanagement and corruption is rife and disturbing. The rest of the world is wise to prevent North Korea, as it is now, from obtaining or producing their own WMD. Their leaders are too unstable and have no conscience about right or wrong. Very unsafe player in that region.

Figures, they are freaking communist and American liberals. I say cut their brake lines and watch them go over a cliff.

Can't really say I feel for Wolf but Ted is a nut. I do believe he is channeling the ghost of Howard Hughes be looking for him to build the Spruce Peace Goose in a harbour near you some time soon...

I spent two years in the NE of China and met quite a few North Koreans and NOBODY had anything good to say about anything in NKorea. There are estimated to be over 100,000 illegal immigrants sneaking into China alone from North Korea. There is a huge network of ethnic Koreans who are Chinese citizens who help them sorta like the underground railroad of the American civil war era. Some of the stories are really heart breaking.

If we were able to bring about change in South Africa I believe we could do the same with North Korea. Its a small country blocked in and easy to apply sanctions to. Nothing is going to sneak into the DMZ and the border with China would be a good lesson for the BORTAG boys to come check out. The sea ports would be the only link and that can be easily monitored by ELINT already at work.

And wtf is this about the DMZ being turned into a Peace Park?
"C'mon kids lets go play in 'Land Mine' Meadows!"
"Oh boy!!!"
:roll:

bulldogg said:
I spent two years in the NE of China and met quite a few North Koreans and NOBODY had anything good to say about anything in NKorea. There are estimated to be over 100,000 illegal immigrants sneaking into China alone from North Korea. There is a huge network of ethnic Koreans who are Chinese citizens who help them sorta like the underground railroad of the American civil war era. Some of the stories are really heart breaking.

And wtf is this about the DMZ being turned into a Peace Park?
"C'mon kids lets go play in 'Land Mine' Meadows!"
"Oh boy!!!"
:roll:

WOW! One communist country seeming like a pretty place than another. Now hell has frozen over. I'm sorry, But I rather just try and get the hell into S. Korea. Yeah, it's harder. But it's also better.

And that little thing about Landmine Meadows.....

FUNNY!!!!!!

Daddy, I want to play on the Barb Wire Monkey Bars. :lol:

An estimated ONE MILLION people died of starvation in North Korea during the 1990's.

They also hold an estimated 200,000 political prisoners.

And here you have Ted Turner saying everything is happy go lucky with them. Trust, but verify, is good way to put things into perspective, yet Ted totaly ignores such a premise, what planet does he live in.

Didn't Ted Turner give a speech a while back about Fox News being propaganda. Given the place he stands, I'm glad to be listening to the this kind of "propaganda". If those are Ted's views I don't want to listen to what news sources he and those like him consider unbiased.

Teddy is of the crazy part of society. He's so rich. It doesn't matter to him. I bet that he doesn't even know how to order from a McDonald's Menu (just like a certain US Senator's Wife) let alone know what really happening in the world.

ted_turner.jpg

hughes.jpg

Its not just the mental instability thing, they even look alike... hehehe One built a Spruce Goose and another wants to turn the most lethally mined piece of land in the world into a kiddie park.

Back