Its Official

FutureMedic

I can't seem to get my parents convinced that the military is what I'm set on, therefore, I have to wait until I'm 18 :bang: . They said "I hope you grow out of it before you make a mistake." Just felt like postin, :mad:. Looks like I will have time to sort things out. I have narrowed it down to three choices: Navy FMF Corpsman, Army Combat Medic, Coast Guard AST.

Well future medic thgey have to realize that its your choice not theirs and they should support you in whatever choice you make. Dont let it get you down, now you have mnore time to get in shape.

I've been told the path I choose to follow is a mistake also, a Marine.
My closest friends and family members both take it within themselves to attempt to talk me out of it. You're not alone.

Well at least you have lots of time to get in shape and all that fun stuff =P I was lucky that my parents were supportive, I got in shortly after I turned 16

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You'll always have us and your fellow military brothers and sisters for support. :)

I agree with TI and TOG. Go Coast Guard!!!! :)

When my mom told me that I couldn't join, I was devastated. Then I told her: "Mom, I love you a lot but, this is my life. I'm going to chose my future and I chose the Army. When I hit adulthood, you have no choice ma, you better understand that (got a bit fed up). I don't mind you giving me suggestions and I appreciate it a lot, but this is what I want to do." It hit her hard because she had high hopes for me becoming a doctor (I have a real knack for medical stuff). After a while, she loosened up a bit, but only on the condition that I would be a professional. I told her I was going to be an Officer and attend a the Military College here in Canada. But as I've seen how Officers are acting all like their better than the soldiers all the time over where I am (I'm in Army Cadets in an Armory so I see how the Officers act). I've been having hard second thoughts about my Officer future (other reasons too) and been thinking hard on becoming a Mechanic (something I'd like to do) and be a tanker (gunner or something) in a Leopard 2A6M CAN. She can't accept anything but an Officer, but I have told her that she no longer has any choice in my future (maybe a bit harsh but it's the truth). I'm pretty sure on that future, but I was this sure on being an officer so it could change (but I've always loved tanks so I wouldn't count on it). Once you become an adult, they'll have no say. Further more if don't live with them. Best of luck and keep trying because this is YOUR future, not theirs!

Last edited by a moderator:
When my mom told me that I couldn't join, I was devastated. Then I told her: "Mom, I love you a lot but, this is my life. I'm going to chose my future and I chose the Army. When I hit adulthood, you have no choice ma, you better understand that (got a bit fed up). I don't mind you giving me suggestions and I appreciate it a lot, but this is what I want to do." It hit her hard because she had high hopes for me becoming a doctor (I have a real knack for medical stuff). After a while, she loosened up a bit, but only on the condition that I would be a professional. I told her I was going to be an Officer and attend a the Military College here in Canada. But as I've seen how Officers are acting all like their better than the soldiers all the time over where I am (I'm in Army Cadets in an Armory so I see how the Officers act). I've been having hard second thoughts about my Officer future (other reasons too) and been thinking hard on becoming a Mechanic (something I'd like to do) and be a tanker (gunner or something) in a Leopard 2A6M CAN. She can't accept anything but an Officer, but I have told her that she no longer has any choice in my future (maybe a bit harsh but it's the truth). I'm pretty sure on that future, but I was this sure on being an officer so it could change (but I've always loved tanks so I wouldn't count on it). Once you become an adult, they'll have no say. Further more if don't live with them. Best of luck and keep trying because this is YOUR future, not theirs!

They are hoping that I "grow out of it". The thing they don't realize is this is what I've wanted to do since I was a young kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are being fairly supportive, probably because I decided to go Navy and not Army or Marine Corps. And because I'll be stateside for at least another three years. I havn't told them that I'm looking into going to combat zones for my second and first-class cruises.

My old man was against it so strongly that he felt necessary to hold me for hours a day to drill it in my head that the military was a stupid institution full of stupid people and that I would regret it.
I waited until I graduated from university to go.
The only regret part comes from the waiting.
Joining up was the best decision I ever made. Waiting was probably the worst.
F*ck what they think.

My parents are being hypocrites, BOTH of them joined the Navy when they were 17. They said they loved it but they don't want me to go war. I've told them I'm joining either way, but if I joined at 17 I could get e-3, and still its a no go.

I joined when I was 17, my dad was a MMCM when he retired, it was fun I was DEP till I graduated High school. All I can say is until your 18 your parents basically won you, I can see your point and theirs about the military today, my kids are 9 and 13 I don't want to see either of them go to war either, but I will support them if they decide to join, and I support you also. I salute you for wanting to join, no matter what branch you go into.

I joined when I was 17, my dad was a MMCM when he retired, it was fun I was DEP till I graduated High school. All I can say is until your 18 your parents basically won you, I can see your point and theirs about the military today, my kids are 9 and 13 I don't want to see either of them go to war either, but I will support them if they decide to join, and I support you also. I salute you for wanting to join, no matter what branch you go into.

Thanks for the support...I understand why my parents don't want me to join, but its not their choice.

Back