Italy will begin Iraq troop withdrawal in September

Duty Honor Country

ROME (AP) — Premier Silvio Berlusconi said Tuesday that Italy will start withdrawing its 3,000 troops in Iraq in September, Italian news agencies reported.
"Already in September we will begin a progressive reduction of the number of our soldiers in Iraq," Berlusconi was quoted as saying during a taping of a state TV talk show.

Withdrawing Italian troops "will depend on the capability of the Iraqi government to give itself structures for acceptable security," the ANSA news agency quoted Berlusconi as saying. "I've spoken about it with (British Prime Minister) Tony Blair, and it's the public opinion of our countries that expects this decision..."

READ MORE

I kinda had a feeling that the Italian government would can its support for Iraq. Italian Guy, any inside info on this subject??

shows me how one mistake made by a few grunts can affect world affairs. glad that wasn't me but shit happens in a war zone. I cant see how blame can be directed at the soliders.

It is convenient to chain the two events together... But the article did mention some conditions, so nothing is final yet. Perhaps this is just a statement to tame the general public for now?

sleepyscout said:
shows me how one mistake made by a few grunts can affect world affairs. glad that wasn't me but shit happens in a war zone. I cant see how blame can be directed at the soliders.

Shows me how one guy refusing to yield at a Check Point in a Combat Zone can effect world affairs.

Back