Italian guy...please leave ur country

Please Rabs, read properly!

The city of Rome has banned goldfish bowls
This doesn't say that fish are not allowed anymore. It says that the fish bowls are, because they cause the fish to go blind.

they have to walk there dogs
What do you do with your dog? This is to prevent them to lock their dog in their yard the seize of a matrass. I don't know if you have ever been to Rome but there isn't a lot of space and it can be bloody hot. If you want a dog, take care of it by walking it.....

Thirdly, Italy isn't Europe. It lays in Europe, but their by-laws a strictly for them, so calling Europe Stalinst is very over the top. I think that the regime you talk about lays closer to what is happening in the US with live television. The 30 second delay in the broadcast so one can intervene when something is done that they don't like. How about critical television and the right to freedom of speech?

Italy is not alone with such laws really, the regulation of dog keeping is just one of the many pretty interesting norwegian laws that has to be followed.

Wanna talk about deers?

Animal rights groups estimate that around 150,000 pet dogs and 200,000 cats are abandoned in Italy every year.

The mayor of Rome is a leftist, but I'm with him on this. It's not a nice thing when you go out on the street and see dogs tied to a chain in someone else's garden. Not going to leave my country because of this, really. I agree with what Ted said.

But
The northern city of Turin passed a law in April to fine pet owners up to 500 euros (339 pounds) if they do not walk their dogs at least three times a day.

How do they know how often you walk your dog?

I just wish European citues such as Paris (and other places) would adopt laws that make dog owners clean up after their dog. There is nothing more annoying than having to navigate between piles of fresh dog piles. The city does have have a dog poo clean up service but people need to learn personal responibility. Otherwise they should do what I did, get a cat.

We do fine people in Amsterdam when they are caught letting their dogs crap on the side walks. They have special "dumping zones" and bins where you can get "dog-poop" bags and you can dispose of them there.

But I always fear laws made by some bureaucrat, which are uncontrolable and thus not maintainable. So only make laws you can enforce.....

In my part of Australia, we're smacked with a $50 fine if your dog poops and you don't clean :lol:

The only problem I have with the Turin dog-walking law is it's almost impossible to enforce. It's the same with the dog-poop issue here. While theoretically the law is there, in reality the police have better things to do than check whether you've walked your dog, or if you've cleaned up after Fido.

However, theoretically the Turin law is okay. Confining dogs for long periods is inhumane.

But I always fear laws made by some bureaucrat, which are uncontrolable and thus not maintainable. So only make laws you can enforce.....

I agree to an extent. However, I think the fear of punishment may induce some people to follow these laws, no matter how realistically unenforceable they are. Having a flimsy law is better than none at all.

I don't have a space problem but I walk my two dogs once per day. With my Wife at home all day, they get walked as much as time permits. As far as hot weather, they have their own door and come and go but never leave my yards without leashes. As far as abandonment, a healthy fine would stop that.

Its good that there are laws protecting animals, as long as they don't go too far.

The ones in Rome are fine. Except the one walking the dog 3 times a day, thats riduculous.

They are basicly for people who really don't care, and don't know the responsibilty of owning a pet. They shouldn't get one in the first place, maybe these laws will help curb that.

mmarsh said:
I just wish European citues such as Paris (and other places) would adopt laws that make dog owners clean up after their dog. There is nothing more annoying than having to navigate between piles of fresh dog piles. The city does have have a dog poo clean up service but people need to learn personal responibility. Otherwise they should do what I did, get a cat.

I do very much agree. The things that those dogs leave are no good. I once stepped over some dog bizzness and it aint funny..

I have two pets, cat and a dog. If a person has a pet they need to take care of them. For dogs that means walking and lots of attention several times a day, for cats that means a mandatory 19 hours of silence everyday so they can take full potential of their very limited sleeping time, telling your cat a minimum of 37 times a day that they are perfect and remembering that it is a living thing, not an area rug and despite your black cat's best impersonation of a welcome mat at 4:30 in the morning when all the lights are out they will never be anything other than perfection and the jealousy of every other living breathing creature in the world.

Holy :cen: that was a mouthful, where's the tylenol?

Back