Italian Cruise Ship Disaster and Crew

BTW this contains plans for flood control and stability calculations for a similar design to Concordia. It seems to generate as many questions as it answers. Perhaps the numerous 'partial watertight' compartments explain why it took so much time to sink? Why did the captain believe only two compartments were breached? Surely it wasn't holed again when run aground?

Integrated flooding and standard for stability and crises management

Subdivision length Ls is 315.67 m, which is the greatest projected length below deck 6, which also limits the damaged hull used in the calculations. Buoyant hull is extended up to bulkhead deck (deck 4). The limiting area for the reserve buoyancy is between decks 4 and 6 excluding aft mooring deck. The area of reserve buoyancy is partially watertight with defined openings (see figure below).

Definition of Watertight Compartments and Subdivision zones. The ship is divided into 22 watertight compartments below the bulkhead deck (deck 4). Above the bulkhead deck the spaces have been divided into partial watertight compartments. Partial watertight bulkheads are located above the transversal watertight bulkhead on bulkhead deck. Where partial watertight bulkheads are not installed straight above the watertight bulkhead the effectively watertight deck area has to be applied in accordance with regulation 17. Such watertight areas are located sides on deck 5 along the ship’s length

Last edited:
Seriously, even under orders to go close to the island, what an *******...!

Angel-Nieto1-300x227.png

Nieto

122_1009_03_o+max_biaggi+front_view.jpg

Biaggi

ValentinoRossiMotegi.jpg

Rossi

1328976942120.jpg

Schettino

BTW, there were quite a few "heroes" *on* the CC, people of the crew that saved a lot of people, some of them dying in the process, others got injured severely and needed to be rescued later, here just a few names:

Humberto Morales, saved around 300 passengers and went back three times to the ship after steering live guard vessels to the coast. http://elcomercio.pe/mundo/1361221/noticia-peruano-salvo-vidas-costa-concordia-tenia-que-ayudar

Costilla Mendoza, saved 150+ passengers personally, but later got trapped by a fridge in one of the lower decks when searching for others and perished. http://www.rpp.com.pe/2012-01-24-ca...ragio-del-costa-concordia-noticia_444133.html

How can this man, in comparison, even sleep?

88a.jpg

Rattler

Last edited:
The captain and navigating officer of a cargo ship which ploughed into a reef off New Zealand last October have pleaded guilty to a series of charges.The charges include "operating a vessel in a manner causing unnecessary danger or risk" and attempting to pervert the course of justice. Some of the charges are punishable by up to seven years in prison
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17200488

This doesn't look good for Schettino if this case is anthing to go by.

Yeah but lets be honest here in the New Zealand incident "ploughed" into the reef doesn't do it justice he hit it with enough speed to park the front half of the ship completely on the reef.

What about this one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sengers-safely-evacuated-abandoning-ship.html

We on our islands just 12 days ago had this one, the whole (Catamaran) ferry "Maverick 2" ended up *right on top* of the island in its path and the experts are still wondering how this was possible (there was no waves or anti-gravity engines involved, explanation lacking, just pure luck - if you call hitting an island with a ferry lucky).

No passengers hurt severly. One lady received a neck trauma from the shock when the ferry that went at 35 knots (60kmh roughly) stopped apruptly within a few meters, negative 5g being applied to the self-loading freight.

The captain, on the other hand (as well as the IO), three days after the incident were still onboard, sealing the hull damages, making sure the fuel transfer could be done rapidly and that the cranes will find points for lifting the boat into the water again (they landed cranes on the island that then lifted the ferry off it into water from where it was towed into port).

u1_maverick6.jpg

f.page1.jpg

Rattler

Last edited:
Chaplain shares moving account of Costa Concordia tragedy

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012

The chaplain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia has given a moving account of what he experienced as the luxury cruiser foundered off the coast of Italy.

Fr Raffale Malena worked as a chaplain on the sea for 20 years. He told Citta Nuova, that he had not slept since the boat went down on the night of Friday January 13. For him, that night has become a silent film where he re-lives the dramatic scenes of thousands of people gripped by panic and terror.

But the most recurrent image is of a little girl whom he managed to save. In those moments, “fear and the instinct for survival take over and stop you from reasoning,” said the 73-year-old priest.

“When the ship began to list, the panic was so strong that it seemed as though people went mad. There were two people in wheelchairs that no one was helping. I started to push to get them close to the one of the lifeboats, and someone said, “They can die too.”

“There was a five-year-old girl, who had fallen on the ground and no one helped her.” Fr Raffaele screamed at the top of his lungs, trying to stop her being trampled. He picked her up and held her tight. In the meantime, her panic-stricken mother arrived and he helped get both into the lifeboat. “There too, no one was thinking and someone said, ‘The mother can wait’.”
“You had to fight to get onto the lifeboat and people were throwing punches to make sure they got a place. I’m not judging these people, because there were exceptional circumstances, but I too was part of this scene.”

Then the final suffering. “At 1:30am, I was called to the port to bless the bodies. I saw a French lady who was dead and then, with a blow to the heart, I recognised beside her a deceased crew member who I had known well.”

Another crewmember lay beside the man. “He was given up for dead, then suddenly they realised that he was still breathing,” Fr Raffaele recounts. “They worked on his heart and he came back to life, like a resurrected dead man.”

At one point Fr Raffaele thought that he too would die. Under the listing boat, there was a small platform. Fr Raffaele went down to it by a stairs, which in the dark he thought was a solid ladder, instead it was made of rope. “I ended up hanging there in the emptiness, swaying 25 metres up. I couldn’t keep going. I was very tired, and fainting. Then a crew member came to my aid.”

The captain made the terrible mistake of hitting the rock, failing to make the mayday call as his vessel violently listed and abandoning ship, but the priest believes the captain ultimately did try to save the ship, even if it was with a very dangerous manoeuvre. The impact when the ship hit the rock was so violent that Fr Raffaele was thrown to the floor. Minutes after, he met the head engineer who, having seen the flooding of the machine room, told the chaplain they would all die.

From his recollection, around 50 minutes after the crash, which occurred at 9:42pm the lifeboats started being lowered and the abandon ship signal was given by Captain Bosio who was not working on the Costa Concordia but had boarded the ship to get to his home town of Savona, near Genoa. He is the captain of one of the Concordia’s sister ships, the Serena.
Captain Bosio is understood to have coordinated the entire rescue effort, working alongside crewmembers throughout the night, helping women and children into lifeboats.

For Fr Raffaele, the greatest suffering still is the loss of some crewmembers. “I’m crying for them. By now, I don’t believe they will find those who are missing. I lived with them, I knew them one by one. They come from difficult situations and were on the boat just to work. At Christmas time we organised a Christmas celebration with some of them.”
At a certain point, Fr Raffaele ran to the chapel of the Costa Concordia and asked Jesus for a miracle, that as few people would die as possible. He feels Jesus listened to him, because in spite of the terrible tragedy, this was how it was.

He commends the people of the Giglio island, (16 kilometres off the coast of Italy), who gave them such an extraordinary welcome.

“We should erect a monument to Fr Lorenzo Pasquotti who immediately opened his church. The hotel at the port put up everyone for free. The bar owner, opened his bar and when everything finished, he went home to get more coffee. These acts of kindness are written in your heart.”

He concludes, “The most beautiful thing in life is to save a human life.”
Fr Raffaele is now resting with some relations. “I have to recover from the trauma, “he says, “but I’ll be back on the seas again.”

http://www.cinews.ie/article.php?artid=9604

Back