Istanbul/Edrine

Usefullidiot

Two cities relatively close too each other located in the west of Turkey or what was called back in the roman days Thrace. That's prety much all i know. I'm currently reading a book called A History of Warfare and in it the author mentions these two locations as being the one area where the most battles have been fought ( total of fifteen he said). I know also that Constantinople was the old name of Istanbul, and before that it was Byzantium. I was just wondering what any of you could tell me about this place.

hmmm, all of the info u said till now is known to me.. but I dont know if u missed anything.. we need a person who knows, or lives there..

Well Istanbul,or Constantinople as it was formerly known at the time,was one the most impenetrable citadels in the world.It was the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire.It was founded by Constantine the Great in 330 A.D. at a town called Byzantium.

The city was famous for it's walls which consisted of three sets,the most notable is the third and final wall which was built by Theodosius II,it stood over 60 feet tall and was invincible to most most barbarians.

Constantinople was taken only three times, once by the treachery of the 4th crusade, the second when it was retaken by the Byzantines under Michael VIII, and finally it fell to the Turks in 1453 under Sultan Mohammed II and his cannons.

Usefullidiot said:
Two cities relatively close too each other located in the west of Turkey or what was called back in the roman days Thrace. That's prety much all i know. I'm currently reading a book called A History of Warfare and in it the author mentions these two locations as being the one area where the most battles have been fought ( total of fifteen he said). I know also that Constantinople was the old name of Istanbul, and before that it was Byzantium. I was just wondering what any of you could tell me about this place.

What do you wanna learn about Istanbul. I went there several times...? Maybe I can heLp you...:cool:

Back