Isreali Jets strike Lebanese Militant Base

FutureDevilDog

"BEIRUT (AP) - Israeli jets attacked a Palestinian militant group's training base in southern Lebanon early Wednesday, the Israeli military and Lebanese witnesses said, hours after an Israeli border town was hit by rocket fire.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
http://bc.row.yahoo.com/b?P=OKJ4JkL...0867.7696596.8555517.6258759/D=LREC/B=3129920
The base, located south of Beirut, is operated by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command, a small, Syrian-backed group that has been waging a decades long fight against the Jewish state.
"This is in response to the firing of projectile rockets last night toward Israeli communities," the military said.
It said it views such attacks with "extreme severity" and holds Lebanon responsible.
Witnesses reported warplanes roared over the PFLP-GC guerrilla base at Naameh, a hilltop base overlooking the Mediterranean seven kilometres south of Beirut, and the sound of two booms were heard.
Other witnesses said two air-to-surface missiles were fired and white smoke billowed from the ground.
Police had no immediate confirmation of an air strike, but Lebanese troops at a checkpoint near Naameh confirmed an air raid and sealed off the area, preventing journalists from approaching.
It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties from the raid on the target, a maze of concrete fortified tunnels built inside a hill that the PFLP-GC had used as a base for decades.
The air strike was launched after three rockets landed in a residential area of Kiryat Shemona. The Israeli army said the rockets damaged some property but caused no injuries.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. Both Hezbollah guerrillas and Palestinian militants operate in nearby southern Lebanon.
The raid came a month after Israeli jets attacked a command post of the Hezbollah guerrilla group in south Lebanon, responding to Hezbollah rocket and mortar attacks that wounded 11 Israeli soldiers and damaged a house in a border community.
Israel withdrew from an occupied enclave in southern Lebanon in 2000. While fighting in the area has dropped since then, the border remains tense and Hezbollah frequently targets Israeli troops in the disputed Chebaa Farms area.
Lebanon and Syria say Chebaa Farms is Lebanese territory, but UN cartographers who surveyed the border after the Israeli withdrawal said it belongs to that part of Syria which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. Israel says it will discuss control of the area only in future peace talks with Syria."

This attack was absolutely justified by the rocket attacks, at least in my opinion. What do you thinK?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20051228/ca_pr_on_wo/israel_lebanon

Yes, definitely. I have extremely clear ideas on these Israeli attacks. I have just read Natan Sharansky's book "The Case For Democracy" and it strengthened my views.

1586483544-books-resized200.jpg

I too have to agree that the Isreali response to the rocket attack seems justified indeed.

The Israelis always hit the target and go home without causing an International incident. The whole world knows that they did the right thing.

Back