isreali general banned from entering NZ

chewie_nz

Banned
Israel surprised at banning
16 March 2005
By YEHONATHAN TOMMER

JERUSALEM: Israel has expressed surprise at the banned entry of a high-ranking army reserves general invited to Auckland to speak at a fund-raising campaign by New Zealand's Jewish community, claiming that no comprehensive guidelines exist on the government's ban.

"We are sorry that the New Zealand Government refused the entry of reserves general Gabi Ashkenazi," former Deputy Chief of Staff Avi Pazner, who was also due to visit Australia on a similar fund-raising mission, told Israel Radio today.

Mr Pazner is chairman of Keren HaYesod, the Israeli overseas Jewish fund-raising organisation under whose auspices Mr Ashkenazi was to have visited New Zealand.

"No comprehensive guidelines for the ban on Israel figures exist and the New Zealand authorities apparently decide each case on its merits. Obviously, because they approved the recent entry of former reserves general Ze'ev Livney," Mr Pazner said.

Israel had considered its "current tense ties with New Zealand" and, in light of that, made the request through formal channels starting with New Zealand's honorary consul in Tel Aviv, Israeli businessman Dan Propper, who transferred the request to the New Zealand embassy in Bangkok.

"Their answer was that `this was not a suitable time for such a visit for General Gabbi Ashkenazi'," Mr Pazner said.

Mr Pazner, a former Israeli ambassador to several European capitals, denied that Mr Ashkenazi's request for an entry visa had sought to test New Zealand's sanctions restricting visits by Israeli officials following strained relations in the wake of the unresolved passport scandal.

Mr Ashkenazi served as Israel's deputy chief of staff until last month, when he retired from active military service.

He is no longer an Israeli official but because he was to represent an official, albeit non-state, Israeli organisation, New Zealand authorities apparently disagreed and denied his application for a visa.

And what was accomplished by that? More bad blood it looks like. What harm could it have done to let him speak before that Jewish group? Looks to me like New Zealand passed up an opportunity to still the waters and instead stirred them up. I _can_ understand the Kiwis being ticked off about the passport incident. It just seems like this didn't help the situation.

the Govt asked for an official appoligy an an explaination for what these spies we doing...

we haven't got that yet.

so i think this was an oppertunity to make our displeasure known. it is unfortunate that this jewish group missed out on it's speaker but there are consequences.

they sent spy here to rip off our passports so they could mess with arabs under a nice clean NZ passport...potentially meaning any kiwi in that part of the world gets to visit an arab prison....they get caught....and now they're surprised when the Govt wont let one of their generals in...pfft

I don't think it's unreasonable or racist for NZ to deny Israeli's access to our country until we get an official apology & they explain to us just what, exactly they were doing with two spies in our country invading our sovereignty.

just what would the US or other more powerful nation do in a similar situation?

"the Govt asked for an official appoligy an an explaination for what these spies we doing...

we haven't got that yet.

so i think this was an oppertunity to make our displeasure known. it is unfortunate that this jewish group missed out on it's speaker but there are consequences. "

Okay, I can see the point in that.

Back