Isreal prepares its troops for attack on Iran

FutureDevilDog

Here is the first page of the article the second page can be seen here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1920074,00.html

"Uzi Mahnaimi, Tel Aviv, and Sarah Baxter, Washington
trans.gif
ISRAEL’S armed forces have been ordered by Ariel Sharon, the prime minister, to be ready by the end of March for possible strikes on secret uranium enrichment sites in Iran, military sources have revealed.
The order came after Israeli intelligence warned the government that Iran was operating enrichment facilities, believed to be small and concealed in civilian locations.
NI_MPU('middle');Iran’s stand-off with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over nuclear inspections and aggressive rhetoric from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, who said last week that Israel should be moved to Europe, are causing mounting concern.
The crisis is set to come to a head in early March, when Mohamed El-Baradei, the head of the IAEA, will present his next report on Iran. El-Baradei, who received the Nobel peace prize yesterday, warned that the world was “losing patience” with Iran.
A senior White House source said the threat of a nuclear Iran was moving to the top of the international agenda and the issue now was: “What next?” That question would have to be answered in the next few months, he said.
Defence sources in Israel believe the end of March to be the “point of no return” after which Iran will have the technical expertise to enrich uranium in sufficient quantities to build a nuclear warhead in two to four years.
“Israel — and not only Israel — cannot accept a nuclear Iran,” Sharon warned recently. “We have the ability to deal with this and we’re making all the necessary preparations to be ready for such a situation.”
The order to prepare for a possible attack went through the Israeli defence ministry to the chief of staff. Sources inside special forces command confirmed that “G” readiness — the highest stage — for an operation was announced last week.
Gholamreza Aghazadeah, head of the Atomic Organisation of Iran, warned yesterday that his country would produce nuclear fuel. “There is no doubt that we have to carry out uranium enrichment,” he said.
He promised it would not be done during forthcoming talks with European negotiators. But although Iran insists it wants only nuclear energy, Israeli intelligence has concluded it is deceiving the world and has no intention of giving up what it believes is its right to develop nuclear weapons.
A “massive” Israeli intelligence operation has been underway since Iran was designated the “top priority for 2005”, according to security sources.
Cross-border operations and signal intelligence from a base established by the Israelis in northern Iraq are said to have identified a number of Iranian uranium enrichment sites unknown to the the IAEA.
Since Israel destroyed the Osirak nuclear reactor in Iraq in 1981, “it has been understood that the lesson is, don’t have one site, have 50 sites”, a White House source said. If a military operation is approved, Israel will use air and ground forces against several nuclear targets in the hope of stalling Tehran’s nuclear programme for years, according to Israeli military sources. It is believed Israel would call on its top special forces brigade, Unit 262 — the equivalent of the SAS — and the F-15I strategic 69 Squadron, which can strike Iran and return to Israel without refuelling."

If this is indeed real it scares me very much. IMO it sets the stage for what the world fears the most.:-?
trans.gif

They can perform a surgical air strike against Iranian nuke facilities but the consequences remain unknown!

I dont understand this whole Iran problem, they say there nuclear infastructure is underground only penterable with nuclear weapons. Why not use nukes? I mean if we attack them with conventional arms there gona hit back with everything they have anyway so why not just put a few mushroom clouds over there nuke sites.

Not only will this stop there nuclear program it will send a BIG message to N. Korea and any other nation thinking about getting some WMDs.

here's the question for you, what do you do after you nuke iran? You wanna be the guy that has to go and occupy that? Because the way the world works nowadays, after a war, your gonna be occupiding and pacifing the country. Personally i'd rather not have to patrol the streets of a nuked city.

Also, figure on this, USA uses Nukes. China/Russia declare that the USA is either in breach of treaties or obviously incapable of handlign the responsibilities, it is a rogoue nation in other words. The result is some form of military actions against the USA/NATO by and easter coalition, the USA responds, now facing a world power, with it's full arsenal, attempting to achieve a premtive strike. However, that strike is detected, and responded to in turn with strieks against the US and it's allies. Long story short, nuclear winter and the eradication of most of North America/Europe.

Rabs said:
I dont understand this whole Iran problem, they say there nuclear infastructure is underground only penterable with nuclear weapons. Why not use nukes? I mean if we attack them with conventional arms there gona hit back with everything they have anyway so why not just put a few mushroom clouds over there nuke sites.

Not only will this stop there nuclear program it will send a BIG message to N. Korea and any other nation thinking about getting some WMDs.

LoL... I understand that you dont care about the people of Iran and that you can not differentiate with the evil government of Iran and the pro-west people of Iran

Right?

You need to change your attitude!

Well, I'll not bring up the global implications regarding a nuclear attack and the eco-system. You allready made clear that the climate isn't your concern in another post. So not only do you kill indiscriminatly and shoot the rest of the US credibility as global peace-keeper to hell, you also shower Europe with nuclear particles or even teh more densely populated South Asian peninsula. I reckon there's probably a better way.

And to my own surprise I have no troubles with Israel if they did such a surgical strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. Is it me or do I slowly turn into a Republican :)

lol. most of the posts i made yesterday were around 2:30am so dont put too much faith into them. However i was under the impression that Irans nuclear facilites were isolated.

Isolated or not, we start using nukes and there will be hell to pay later. Besides we do have conventional weapons that are capable of doing the same sort of job that a nuke could do, without the radiation.

The United States should remove the dog leash from Isreal. Let the Isreali military conquer the Middle East. I support the IDF and Isreal's policies toward terrorism and those little groups like PLO, PLF, Hezbollah, and other terrorist groups. RAZE THEM TO THE GROUND!

5.56X45mm said:
The United States should remove the dog leash from Isreal. Let the Isreali military conquer the Middle East. I support the IDF and Isreal's policies toward terrorism and those little groups like PLO, PLF, Hezbollah, and other terrorist groups. RAZE THEM TO THE GROUND!

indeed... not to bash or anything... but why the :cen: did Iran think of getting nuclear power anyways? its sooo STUPID!.. really... wtf is wrong with them, like they cant figure out that Israel, or ANY other country(for that matter) will allow it...

they're slowly diggin their own grave...

Israel will not nuke Iran or any Country with innocent civilians held under the bootheel of an oppressive group. Israel has shown restraint in the war against the Hezbollah in Gaza and Lebanon by using precision kills against their leaders with as little damage to civilians as possible. If any country can take out small hardened targets, they should be the masters at it by now.

The rapidly evolving developments in ground penetrating and thermobaric weapons during the last ten years make the use of nukes in Iran unnecessary.

I think these weapons would, and should, be made available to Isreal if needed. This would, IMHO, be preferable to forcing Isreal to "go nuclear."

I sincerely hope that the Iranian people come to their senses and overthrow the "mad mullahs" before it becomes necesary for the U.S. or Isreal to resort to direct military action. The threat of that action, however, must never be taken off of the table as long as Iran remains an islamic theocracy.

Nuclear facilities do not need to be nuked people. They are in point of fact their own worst enemy. Sabotaging the system can be done with a computer virus and/or physical sabotage of the cooling system and is extremely easy to accomplish once you compromise the facility's security measures. Special forces troops the world over train for just such missions. There is absolutely no need for nuclear weapons to be employed to create a Chernobyl or Three Mile Island with Iranian characteristics. Brains over brawn. ;)

Damn - where did the brains go?

Where did the brains on this one go? Haven't we figured out that Nuclear Winter is the least that will happen during ANY war that involves nuclear weapons. Don't fool yourselves, if and I say BIG IF we were to use nuclear weapons against any country without damn good reasons, then you could bet that other countries would retaliate so fast you won't have a chance to take the second breath. It could also conceivably be that an attack on Iran's nuclear infrastructure could result in the same thing. There is no way of knowing if Iran's nuclear weapons are in the same location as their nuclear plant facilities - as a matter of fact it makes sense to me that their weapons would be scattered out to multiple locations to keep a single attack from taking out their entire arsenal.

Your assumption that the ONLY safe way to take out these weapons and weapon plant sites is via ground attack, makes more sense than the application of a nuclear firestorm where no one is a winner.

There are better ways to deal with Iran than to destroy our planet.

Morten said:
indeed... not to bash or anything... but why the :cen: did Iran think of getting nuclear power anyways? its sooo STUPID!.. really... wtf is wrong with them, like they cant figure out that Israel, or ANY other country(for that matter) will allow it...

they're slowly diggin their own grave...

Well I guess I should go against the flow here.

Why shouldnt Iran or for that matter anyone that wants it have nuclear power?

On top of this how is it that nations such as India, Pakistan, Israel can build nuclear weapons in secret, sell the technology and equipment to all an sundry while the world sits back and says absolutely nothing and in some cases protect their rights to do so while they threaten Iran with everything but the kitchen sink especially since Iran has no history of agression anywhere.

Personally I think there is far too much hypocracy in this thread to be credible.

They are the largest funder of islamic fundamentalist terrorist groups for one Monty and two since the Iranian overthrow of the shah and establishment of their theocracy they have done everything in their power to foment an all out war of Arab states against Israel and the US. Aggressive nations should be denied nuclear weapons as surely as a paranoid schizophrenic should be disallowed the right to own a firearm.

I don't believe in this "Israel vs IRAN showdown will start a WW III" crap. This is absolutely rubbish. The more it will do is harm the peace process in Middle East and that means more trouble or hatered for US and Israel in that region.

And Israeli showdown against Iran might also result in Iranian showdown against US in IRAQ (due to US support for Israeli policies). So this will be more like a triangular tit-for-tat fight between 3 nations.

Though Europe (NATO) clearly indicated that it will not help US in case of IRAN and the worst will be that OIL prices will hit 100$ a barrel after this triangular conflict and that will hurt US relations with some EU countries too.

Though US can live with this loss but still it will result in damage of its regional interests in Middle East and some parts of Europe.

Last edited:
Though Europe (NATO) clearly indicated that it will not help US in case of IRAN and the worst will be that OIL prices will hit 100$ a barrel after this triangular conflict and that will hurt US relations with some EU countries too.

this is nonesense.

Once Mullahs of Iran get the bomb then they can play with the price of oil and it will be 200 bucks per barrel.

Btw, the hatred for Israel or the US in the middle east has nothing to do with their policies. It has something to do with the dumbness of middle class in the region to believe whatever their mullahs and imams tell them!

Grow up!

Back