Isreal attacks targets in Lebanon

mmarsh

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/13/mideast/index.html

Ok here's what I dont get. Everybody knows I am not a big fan of the Isreali Government, however in this case I can perfect understand Isreals right to defend itself. What I don't understand is why Isreal is attacking Lebanon and not attacking Syria.

Hezbollah started this mess, and everybody knows they take orders from Syria not Lebanon. They operate independant from the Lebanese government and dont take any orders from them. The Lebanonese HATE the Syrians.

If Isreali really wants its soldiers back it should be turning up the pressure on Syria.

I disagree. The people who kidnapped the latest group of Israelis were acting out of Lebanon, which is the reason Israel is putting the pressure on Lebanon and not Syria. The Hezbollah don't take orders from anyone but themselves, they're a terrorist group, and Irael is just doing what they feel they have to in order to get their people back.

Hezbollah in Lebanon plays now approximately the same role as HAMAS in the Palestine. It doesn't have the overwhelming majority like HAMAS, but is very powerful.
And yes, it's backed up by Syria!

mmarsh said:
Ok here's what I dont get. Everybody knows I am not a big fan of the Isreali Government, however in this case I can perfect understand Isreals right to defend itself. What I don't understand is why Isreal is attacking Lebanon and not attacking Syria.

Hezbollah started this mess, and everybody knows they take orders from Syria not Lebanon. They operate independant from the Lebanese government and dont take any orders from them. The Lebanonese HATE the Syrians. If Isreali really wants its soldiers back it should be turning up the pressure on Syria.

Put in simple terms Hizbollah is classified as a liberation organization (classified so in 1990 or 1991), and is a part (or some sort of) of the Lebanese gouvernment. The initial attacks were launched from the Lebanese side of the border, not from Syria - attacking Lebanon is due to crack down the Hizbollah strongholds in the country and secure the borders.

Want to get rid of the rats? Pull them out of their nests...

Problem is, this overt head-on military assault isn't going to rescue the Israeli soldiers or destroy Hezbollah, just kill innocent Lebonese (which could coincidently strengthen Hezbollah). And what about the some 9000+ Arabs of many nationalities that Israel has abducted? Looks like everyone is at fault.

Dark_Mark said:
Problem is, this overt head-on military assault isn't going to rescue the Israeli soldiers or destroy Hezbollah, just kill innocent Lebonese (which could coincidently strengthen Hezbollah). And what about the some 9000+ Arabs of many nationalities that Israel has abducted? Looks like everyone is at fault.

Sure. What is the percentage of the blame on each side?
What could destroy Hezbollah in your opinion?

boris116 said:
Sure. What is the percentage of the blame on each side?
What could destroy Hezbollah in your opinion?

Hezbollah is just going to retreat to Syria or go underground, whether you bomb the boarder roads or not. I don't really feel massive military action like this is capable of destroying Hezbollah.

DefiantCmd

Your mistaken, Syria just announced yesterday that they do have some control over Hezbollah. Hezbollah gets weapons and equipment from Iran, but it has to travel to Syria as Iran and Lebanon dont share a border. The Lebanese Government has no control as they dont even have much of a military, southern Lebanon is totally out of control of Beruit. Lebanon would love to get rid of Hezbollah, they arn't like Hamas which is popluar based). Much of Hezbollah isnt even Lebonese their origins are in Syria. But these attacks against Lebonese civilians will only make them less likely to aid Isreal.

If I were Isreal I would do presicely the opposite. Instead I would arm, train, and equip the National Lebanese Army like they did in 1982 with the Christian Militias. They I would order a 2 prong attack against southern Lebanon (the lebanon from the North Isreal from the south).

Sunbi!

I understand the bombing in southern Lebanon (although I doubt their effectiveness). What I dont understand is the bombing in Beruit such as the Airport, powerstations, bridges etc. All its doing is putting hardship on Lebanese civilians, bombing these targets has little effect on Hezbollah. It seems as if Isreal is attacking Lebanonese civilians.

I just dont get it.

Last edited:
Well then, that's where we'll have to disagree. As much as I wish none of it were happening, Israel is reacting in a way that I think is appropriate to the situation, and in a way that I'd expect any government to react.

Edit** Not that I think civillian targets are necessarily the best, because those hit a little too close to home for my liking, but I think Israel is doing what they need to in order to get the job done.

Last edited:
mmarsh said:
Sunbi!

I understand the bombing in southern Lebanon (although I doubt their effectiveness). What I dont understand is the bombing in Beruit such as the Airport, powerstations, bridges etc. All its doing is putting hardship on Lebanese civilians, bombing these targets has little effect on Hezbollah. It seems as if Isreal is attacking Lebanonese civilians.

I just dont get it.

A possible answer Israel attacking civilian targets and installations is to cripple the nation and force the Lebanese gouvernment to their knees (and crack down on the Hizbollah on the domestic level (like that will ever happen...?))

I don't get it either, it is very sad to get the news of more civilian deaths and casualties; I hope they soon stop the :cens: they've started on both sides before other parties decide to join in.

Last edited by a moderator:
sunb! said:
A possible answer Israel attacking civilian targets and installations is to cripple the nation and force the Lebanese gouvernment to their knees (and crack down on the Hizbollah on the domestic level (like that will ever happen...?))

Thats precisely what Bush warned them NOT to do. And as I said its not that the Lebanese government wouldnt like to be rid of Hezbollah, its because they arnt strong enough to do it. The are still recovering from a brutal civil war and 30 years of Syrian occupation. Their political and military forces are weak.

Israel Sets Terms for Cease-Fire
Associated Press | July 17, 2006

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Diplomatic efforts to end Israeli-Hezbollah fighting gained traction Monday, with Israeli officials saying the country would agree to halt fighting if its two captured soldiers were returned and Islamic guerrillas withdrew from the border.

Publicly, the officials continued to insist their goal was to dismantle Hezbollah. But senior aides to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert office said he told his Italian counterpart, Romano Prodi, that Israel would accept cease-fire terms of Hezbollah releasing the Israeli soldiers and withdrawing from the border.

On Sunday, Lebanese officials said that Israel had sent the terms of a possible cease-fire through Italian mediators. The terms were the release of the two captured soldiers, and a Hezbollah pullback to roughly 30 kilometers (20 miles) from the Israeli-Lebanese border.

Hezbollah-patron Iran, meanwhile, said a cease-fire was feasible and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan's special political adviser emerged from talks with Lebanon's prime minister to say he would present Israel "concrete ideas" to end the fighting.
"We have made some promising first efforts on the way forward," Vijay Nambiar told reporters, while warning that "much diplomatic work needs to be done" before the conflict ends.
Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki - in Damascus, Syria for talks with Vice President Farouk al-Sharaa - said a cease-fire and prisoner exchange would be acceptable and fair .
"We believe that we should think of an acceptable and fair (deal) to resolve this," he said. "In fact, there can be a cease-fire followed by a prisoner swap."

British Prime Minister Tony Blair and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan called for sending international forces to southern Lebanon. Russian President Vladimir Putin said Moscow would consider dispatching troops, and the European Union announced it was considering a peacekeeping force as well.
Overnight attacks by Israeli warplanes and big guns killed 17 people and wounded at least 53, Lebanese security officials said. The death toll since fighting began on Wednesday after Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers has climbed above 200 - 209 in Lebanon, 24 in Israel.

Israeli government spokesman Asaf Shariv said ground troops entered southern Lebanon, attacked Hezbollah bases near the border and quickly returned inside Israel.

A large explosion was heard across Beirut Monday evening in the heavily hit southern suburbs where Hezbollah's headquarters is located. In the south, nine civilians were killed, including two children, when an afternoon strike hit a bridge at the entrance to the southern port city of Sidon, Lebanese security officials said.

An Israeli missile also targeted a building housing Al-Manar offices in the southern market town of Nabatiyeh, wounding 7 people.

Hezbollah Katyusha rockets landed in the Israeli town of Atlit, about 55 kilometers (35 miles) south of the border and 10 kilometers (six miles) south of the port city of Haifa. Nobody was hurt. Later, guerrillas fired three rocket barrages into Haifa, destroying a three-story building and wounding at least three people, Israeli medics said.

Guerrilla rockets killed eight Israelis in an attack on Haifa Sunday in what was believed to be Hezbollah's deadliest-ever single attack on Israel.

A Lebanese TV station also showed video of what it said an F-16 fighter jet crashing in the Jamjour district near the Hezbollah stronghold of southern Beirut. Israel said none of its aircraft had been hit or had crashed. Hezbollah's Al-Manar TV said the aircraft was a helicopter gunship.

A Lebanese security official said the object was a fuel tank dropped by an Israeli aircraft over Kfar Chima, a town near southern Beirut. After it dropped the fuel tank, the aircraft fired two missiles at three cargo trucks in the area, killing four people and wounding two others, he added, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

It was not clear why the fuel tank was dropped by the aircraft.
Israel said its planes and artillery struck 60 targets in Lebanon overnight in retaliation for Sunday's 20-rocket barrage on Haifa, Israel's third-largest city and one that had not been hit before the current round of fighting began.

Israel also kept up pressure in the Gaza Strip as it searched for a kidnapped soldier, bombing the empty Palestinian Foreign Ministry building for the second time in less than a week in what it said was a warning to the ruling Hamas party.

Israel launched the offensive on June 25 after Hamas-linked militants carried out a cross-border attack on a military outpost, killing two soldiers and capturing one other. Lebanon's Hezbollah guerrillas joined the fray last week, attacking a military patrol in northern Israel, killing eight soldiers and capturing two others.
Israeli officials accused Syria and Iran of providing Lebanese guerrillas with sophisticated weapons, saying the missiles that hit Haifa had greater range and heavier warheads than those Hezbollah had fired before.

Speaking on the margin of the Group of Eight summit in St. Petersburg, Russia, Blair said the fighting would not stop until the conditions for a cease-fire were created.

"The only way is if we have a deployment of international forces that can stop bombardment coming into Israel," he said.
Annan appealed to Israel to spare civilian lives and infrastructure. The G-8 nations, who had struggled to reach a consensus on the escalating warfare between Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon, have expressed concern on the "rising civilian casualties" and urged both sides to stop the violence.

Bush expressed his frustration in a discussion with Blair before the G-8 leaders began their final lunch.

"See the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s--- and it's over," Bush said. He also suggested that Annan call Syrian President Bashar Assad to "make something happen."

Foreigners continued to flee and several nations drew up plans to get their citizens out. Russia sent an airliner to Jordan on Monday, and Britain also airlifted 40 of its citizens from Lebanon over the weekend and another group was taken out on Monday. A French ship was due to arrive in the port later Monday to evacuate Europeans.

In their raids on Beirut Monday, Israeli planes killed two people in the harbor and started a large fire that was later extinguished.
The Israeli jets also set fire to a gas storage tank in the northern neighborhood of Dawra and another fuel storage tank at Beirut airport, sending plumes of smoke billowing into the sky. The airport has been closed since Thursday, when Israeli jets blasted its runways.

Israeli missiles also blasted southern Beirut, causing three explosions that shook the city. The targets were not immediately clear, but Hezbollah has a host of offices, clinics, schools, social clubs and the homes of its leaders in the southern suburbs.

Elsewhere in Lebanon, Israeli planes again hit the Beirut to Damascus highway, which has been targeted as part of a strategy of severing Lebanon's links to the outside world. Monday's attacks struck the highway in the eastern Bekaa Valley and killed two people.

In another attack, eight Lebanese soldiers were killed when Israeli aircraft attacked a small fishing port at Abdeh in northern Lebanon near a highway leading to Syria. Witnesses and security officials said 12 Lebanese soldiers were wounded in the attack.

The Israeli military warned residents of south Lebanon to flee, promising heavy retaliation after the Haifa assault.

In one airstrike on southern Lebanon early Monday, an Israeli missile missed its apparent target - a Hezbollah site - and hit a private house, killing two people, according to security officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,105844,00.html

Last edited:
Could someone please write up a timeline of events for me? I thought Israel was fighting in Palestine again to rescue a captured Israeli soldier, then all of the sudden fighting broke out in Lebanon again, what the hell is going on?

Yes, I have been rather out of the loop for the last three days, work and such, all I know is that gas prices are going to go up because of this even though neither of the two nations directly involved have any oil shipments that could be disrupted by the fighting.

Yes I agree with you mmarsh. Can't see this is going to work in the long term for Israel. Understand their reasons.

Last edited:
Damien435 said:
Could someone please write up a timeline of events for me? I thought Israel was fighting in Palestine again to rescue a captured Israeli soldier, then all of the sudden fighting broke out in Lebanon again, what the hell is going on?

Yes, I have been rather out of the loop for the last three days, work and such, all I know is that gas prices are going to go up because of this even though neither of the two nations directly involved have any oil shipments that could be disrupted by the fighting.

Your not out of the loop, you just missed Chapter 2, in this nightmare.

To recap, Hamas crossed the border from Gaza and killed 2 IDF troops and captured 1. The IDF pounded Gaza for days with Arty and airstikes. Then Hezbollah got the same idea from Hamas. The crossed the border from southern Lebanon captured 2 more IDF soldiers. The Isreals went crazy, and have launching a full strike against the ENTIRITY of Lebanon (the weak Lebanese government has no control over Hizbollah, Hizbollah only take orders from Iran and Syria). So far Isreal and Hizbollah are trading shots on civilians in both Isreal and Lebanon.

Now your about up to speed.

mmarsh said:
So far Isreal and Hizbollah are trading shots on civilians in both Isreal and Lebanon.

I saw a photo last night of an ambulance in Lebanon. The ambulance was brand new last sunday and shot to pieces on monday. The bullet holes in the doors and the walls were pretty visible. The medical personell inside the ambulance was shot to dead.

Since when were civilian ambulances legal targets in war?

The answer is never.

Israel should and will beat Hizzobolla within an inch of their lives. If anyone would learn their friggin history they would see a pattern. Israel is patient and let the snakes take little bites and little bites until they say enough and then they pound the snakes to a point where it takes them more than 20 years to recover to their pre-arse-whooping state. Then there is relative peace for awhile.

Check it out, you'll see I'm right.

BD
You'd think that history should have warned Hezbollah and Hamas that they were dealing with a Mongoose ... the Mongoose will very patiently allow the Cobra to rear his head and begin to go into it's deadly head weave .........

THEN the mongoose will strike ... 99.9999999999% the Mongoose triumphs and the Cobra dies.

Just like the Mongoose, Israel has tried to be very patient with Hezbollah's and Hamas's shenanigans ... then ... Israel said enough is enough. Both of these organizations are in for a good arse-whoopin. What's sad about this however, is that many innocent Lebanese civilians who have no use for Hezbollah are going to be harmed before Hezbollah capitulates. Hezbollah/Hamas have NEVER learned their lessons. Think they will this time??????

Last edited:
Back