Israeli TV shows 'Iranian missile' that 'can reach far beyond Europe'

ShahryarHedayatiSHBA

misssile-e1421867594235-635x357.jpg

A satellite image shown on Israel's Channel 2 news, January 21, 2015, said to show a new long-range Iranian missile on a launch pad outside Tehran. (Channel 2 screenshot)

Iran has built a 27-meter-long missile, capable of delivering a warhead “far beyond Europe,” and placed it on a launch pad at a site close to Tehran, an Israeli television report said Wednesday, showing what it said were the first satellite images of the missile ever seen in the West.

It stressed that the missile could be used to launch spacecraft or satellites, but also to carry warheads.

The Channel 2 news report showed satellite imagery documenting what it said was Iran’s “very rapid progress” on long-range missile manufacture.

It showed one photograph of a site near Tehran, which it said the West had known about for two years, where Iran was working on engines for its long-range missiles.

It then showed a satellite photograph of a second site, nearby, which featured a launch pad, with the 27-meter missile on it — an Iranian missile “never seen before” by the West.

The missile is capable of taking a manned spacecraft or satellite into space, the TV report said.

It is also capable of carrying a conventional or non-conventional warhead “far beyond Europe,” the report added.

The TV report said the satellite images were taken by the Eros B commercial Earth observation satellite, which was designed and manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries, launched in 2006, and is owned by the Israeli firm ImageSat International.

Israel has long charged that Iran is working toward a nuclear weapons capability, and has publicly opposed any negotiated accommodation with Iran that would leave it with a uranium enrichment capability for potential nuclear weapons use.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-tv-shows-iranian-missile-that-can-reach-far-beyond-europe/

Hmm the timing is amazingly fortuitous that Israelis found this don't you think just a short time before Nuttyahoo delivers his state of the nation address to the US congress focusing of all things on Iran.

My suspicions are that this is a rather obvious attempt at influencing the Americans and Europeans through scare tactics.

Given that I can't find any independent sources to verify it and that I wouldn't trust Israeli news to report the weather honestly I am not as yet convinced that this thing even exists.

Is there any confirmation from Iranian news, hell both the US and Europe have enough satellites up there to spot a pimple at 30km so I doubt that only the Israelis were "lucky" enough to have caught a glimpse.

Still for fun lets assume this is a "real" ICBM why do you think Iran would roll it out and park it in the open outside its capital city, how many of America's ICBMs are just parked on surface launchpads outside Washington or Russia's outside Moscow are Beijing roads lined with the Wang Chung model 48 Ballistic missiles (They did not appear to be 2 years ago), my experience is that most nations store their ICBMs in reinforced silos away from prying eyes (unless of course they are mobile platforms but that doesn't look mobile to me).

Are we to assume that the Iranian military are so bad that they would just erect it outside town in the hopes no one would notice this alone indicates to me that if it does actually exist then it is more likely for civilian/nonmilitary purposes.

Last edited:
Hmm the timing is amazingly fortuitous that Israelis found this don't you think just a short time before Nuttyahoo delivers his state of the nation address to the US congress focusing of all things on Iran.

My suspicions are that this is a rather obvious attempt at influencing the Americans and Europeans through scare tactics.

Given that I can't find any independent sources to verify it and that I wouldn't trust Israeli news to report the weather honestly I am not as yet convinced that this thing even exists.

Is there any confirmation from Iranian news, hell both the US and Europe have enough satellites up there to spot a pimple at 30km so I doubt that only the Israelis were "lucky" enough to have caught a glimpse.

Still for fun lets assume this is a "real" ICBM why do you think Iran would roll it out and park it in the open outside its capital city, how many of America's ICBMs are just parked on surface launchpads outside Washington or Russia's outside Moscow are Beijing roads lined with the Wang Chung model 48 Ballistic missiles (They did not appear to be 2 years ago), my experience is that most nations store their ICBMs in reinforced silos away from prying eyes (unless of course they are mobile platforms but that doesn't look mobile to me).

Are we to assume that the Iranian military are so bad that they would just erect it outside town in the hopes no one would notice this alone indicates to me that if it does actually exist then it is more likely for civilian/nonmilitary purposes.

You bring up several good points here.

misssile-e1421867594235-635x357.jpg

A satellite image shown on Israel's Channel 2 news, January 21, 2015, said to show a new long-range Iranian missile on a launch pad outside Tehran. (Channel 2 screenshot)

Iran has built a 27-meter-long missile, capable of delivering a warhead “far beyond Europe,” and placed it on a launch pad at a site close to Tehran, an Israeli television report said Wednesday, showing what it said were the first satellite images of the missile ever seen in the West.

It stressed that the missile could be used to launch spacecraft or satellites, but also to carry warheads.

The Channel 2 news report showed satellite imagery documenting what it said was Iran’s “very rapid progress” on long-range missile manufacture.

It showed one photograph of a site near Tehran, which it said the West had known about for two years, where Iran was working on engines for its long-range missiles.

It then showed a satellite photograph of a second site, nearby, which featured a launch pad, with the 27-meter missile on it — an Iranian missile “never seen before” by the West.

The missile is capable of taking a manned spacecraft or satellite into space, the TV report said.

It is also capable of carrying a conventional or non-conventional warhead “far beyond Europe,” the report added.

The TV report said the satellite images were taken by the Eros B commercial Earth observation satellite, which was designed and manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries, launched in 2006, and is owned by the Israeli firm ImageSat International.

Israel has long charged that Iran is working toward a nuclear weapons capability, and has publicly opposed any negotiated accommodation with Iran that would leave it with a uranium enrichment capability for potential nuclear weapons use.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-tv-shows-iranian-missile-that-can-reach-far-beyond-europe/

I reckon that It's Iran saying "look at me" and trying to impress and scare its neighbours. In the case of the Israelis, I don't think it has frightened them, only helped them make it more public for the rest of the world to see.
If Iran actually managed to make a nuclear weapon I'm pretty sure that the Israelis will never give them the chance to use the rocket, or any other means of delivery, to attack them.

I am still guessing that the Iranians are not going to park the launch vehicle for a clandestine nuclear programme on a launchpad in plain sight.

No matter what we think about countries and their politics there is still certain things that armies do regarding the exposure of their best and most dangerous weapons and one of those things is to keep them under wraps.

I think given how quickly the story has died that it is most likely a fake to wind up the American public prior to Nuttyahoo's speech to Congress in March that simply was too far fetched even for the American right to latch on to.

I am still guessing that the Iranians are not going to park the launch vehicle for a clandestine nuclear programme on a launchpad in plain sight.

No matter what we think about countries and their politics there is still certain things that armies do regarding the exposure of their best and most dangerous weapons and one of those things is to keep them under wraps.

I think given how quickly the story has died that it is most likely a fake to wind up the American public prior to Nuttyahoo's speech to Congress in March that simply was too far fetched even for the American right to latch on to.

Exactly, does anyone think the Iranians would be stupid enough to park their top secret missile in the middle of the open desert where every spy plane, satellite, reconnaissance drone, etc could take a nice picture of it?

Its all very convenient. The only thing missing was the bullseye so the US Pilots know where to aim.

The Mullahs are not stupid, but the American Public is, as least Netenyahu seems to think so.

Back