Israeli/Palestinian Ceasefire. What does it really mean?

Okay, so What do you think it all means? How much hope is there?

• Accomplishes nothing at all. Nothing changes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isn't likely to work, but you always hope.

• I have no idea.

• Pretty sure this is the start of peace.

• This is it!! Israel and Palestine will make permanent peace!! No question about it!!

• Total voters
SHERMAN said:
PLO does not want Hammas to lay down it's weapons, because they want to use it like the stick in the stick and carrot deal...what they want is to keep Hammas from shooting now, but to be able to unleash it if Israel dose not accept their demands. This has been this way since the Oslo agrremant, and it's no diffrent now. Until they stop this policy, the peace is a good distance away.
The definition of insanity: "Repeating exactly the same behavior over and over, but expecting different results." Are the Palestinians going to one day learn that, "Give us what we want or we will murder your people!" never has accomplished anything for them and never will??

You would think that they would have learned by now that Hamas isn't a good tool. It's stated purpose is to destroy Israel with no compromise. I suppose that if somebody could manage to change the mission of Hamas, that might be a blessing in disguise. The reality of the matter is that the PLO isn't going to be able to use them. Hamas is going to do everthing in its power to sabotage any peace proposal, just like they always have. The PLO is problematic enough without bothering to try to bend Hamas to do something that (in Hamas view of things) would compromise their primary mission.

I can certainly understand that the Palestinians are going to have a hard time trusting the Israelis. I think it is could lead them to unwittingly destroy a future that sees better days for Palestinians. By the way, Israel needs to curb their own extremists and they also need to behave themselves. I am more willing to believe that Israel will do it. Palestine needs to demonstrate that their leadership is willing to compromise and more importantly keep their promises.

Just an offtoppic about Israeli extremists: we are trying to curb them, but there are 200,000 and more settelers and the world needs to understand that Israel is risking Civil War about the Disengagement Plan...

Sadly I don't see anything changing. The Israeli military is too brutal (they have to be) and the Palestinians terrorist groups are too engulfed in religion and the destruction of the jews. I think the new Palestinian leader will be assassinated if he gets too close to making peace with Israel. Its a never ending cycle of violence and all it would take to break the ceasefire is 1 angry person.

lol why are arabs in israel called citizens, and israelis in israel called settlers? its a propoganda term, just like the word "palestinian"... but for peace... might aswell accept that arabs need a second palestine... i guess 70% percent of the region isnt eneugh for them, neither is 99% + of the whole middle east...

ask yourself one thing, will hamas stop killing after israel gives back land? remember the PLO also controls its own terrorist groups, and it is well funded by arabs and europe. the terrorists are well funded, trained and have the support ala sympathy of the majority of the people. and they can make terrorism work well for them...

here is a brief example. back in 1997, barak offered arafat all the land israel gained in a defencsive war from egypt and jordan (around this time "palestinians" came to existence), arafat declined and walked out of the peace talks without even a counter offer... the world turned against the palestinians for this in opinion... so arafat just bombed resturants and little children, killed a few grannies, for the sole purpose of a response from israel, who contrary to north eastern european and french belief HAD to respond, its response was "considered" heavy, and thus media turned against israel, which in conclusion shows that terrorism can be used easily and pali's will be rewarded for it.

that one side of a view

true, it may seem like that

but in any cases isralies are pretty overagressive in this situation, i know the theory themost powerful makes the lord but this is ridigolous

according the history, it was arabs who attacked isralies in the first place, now its reversed

well, i cant blame palis for their reaction, their land was taken and their nationlity shattered, if i was a pali i would strap an ak on myself anytime

( no flaming or bashing intended) :p

AA said:
that one side of a view

true, it may seem like that

but in any cases isralies are pretty overagressive in this situation, i know the theory themost powerful makes the lord but this is ridigolous

according the history, it was arabs who attacked isralies in the first place, now its reversed

well, i cant blame palis for their reaction, their land was taken and their nationlity shattered, if i was a pali i would strap an ak on myself anytime

( no flaming or bashing intended) :p

First of all no they aren't being too aggressive... The Palestinians are attacking THEM, not the other way around. If America and Israel switched places I doubt the country of Palestine would still exist, I respect their controlled brutalness. I doubt American soldiers would have as much patience if they seen their children and grandparents getting blown up by cowards.

As some of you might already know, my views are pro-Isreali.
I voted for the pretty sure it's the right time, because I tend to be lightly optimist.
I believe the core point is that the Israelis now seems to have a different opinion of Abu Mazen than they had of Arafat.
Yasser had always been a warrior, and an ambiguous cookie.
He spoke English to the world and arab to his people, therefore making it hard for the world to trust him.
Abu Mazen at Sharm and Sheik talks spoke Hebrew to Sharon, he didn't wear a uniform.
He's always been critical of the second intifadeh.
Sherman's post is very interesting though, and the PA using Hamas as a stick is a strong point of view to take into account.

nope. I was refering to this:

There was no Palestinian state, ever. They did not have a national movement before the Zionist arrived, and the Palestinians always defined their nationality in contrast to Zionisem. The zionists were builders, the Palestinian nationalists were destoryers.

uhh dude, it takes 2 to create a conflict, both isreal and the palis are attacking each other

Not once in the last 5 years of conflict, did Israel launch an unprovoked attack. All military operations came after unbarable attacks on civilians. But you wouldent understand, because you have never sat in a bus and wondered if it's going to explode, or went on patrol knowing that a terror attack might comke at any minute.

umm. ur last statement basically meant that isralies attacked palis because they attacked isralies

an eye for an eye i guess, trying to revenge each other

I think the only way Israel can survive as a nation state is if they make a REALLY REALLY big big wall, or maybe a dome, or maybe invest heavily on colonizing mars because I don't think Palestinians or Arabs will ever truely accept Israel.

If Israel wants to do damage control though and hope for any chance of living in peace and not having to worry about asymmetrical warfare, they should retract the occupied settlements, give those settlers a monetary reimbursement, and then build a huge wall according to the UN recognized borders.

The US has armed Israel to the teeth and they have armed themselves, they know they're very vulnerable if the arabs ever really rallied behind the palestinians, but all their heads of state are shit scared because Israels got the nuke and US support.

I think its in the best interests of Israel to retract those settlements and hope that keeps the palistinians happy, that or just destroy all the arabs and Iranians now rather than later.

also the Gaza strip is a bit of a dillema, are those people virtually in a giant ghetto or can they travel to egypt freely?

Oh and you don't need the artificial term "nation state" to justify displacing a group of people, displacement is displacement, nation state or otherwise.

AA said:
umm. ur last statement basically meant that isralies attacked palis because they attacked isralies

an eye for an eye i guess, trying to revenge each other

it has nothing to do with an eye for an eye... israel cant just do nuthing like europe and muslims want them to... i dont know how you can sit there and illogically think that israel is overaggresive when it targets known militants after its civilians are bombed?

and again i want to add, and dont take this bad... i see u are in china, dont you remember what china does? you probably dont have a clue about the war china faces in its west, and what its doing to islamic militants there... i assure you china does far worse, and there is no leftist pro palestinian media there to exagerate or reverse information (not that its even needed)

before you say israel is aggressive, atleast compare other countries actions... china--> tienamen sqaure. nuff said.

****** edit, sorry if i sound angry or aggressive... im not, just im frustrated, and i dont have the writing skills to make my message sound better, so forgive if it sounds offensive

lol, before making a statement please read over what uve wrote

the military did not gun students for revenge, it was self-defence when it turned into a riot

the muslims in china are actually well treated, go to beijing and ull see why, we allow them to live in mainland, cities and they have the same rights as any chinese, somehow different in isreal cuz palis are denied entry to parts of isreal and are treated differently

the real probelm with the islamic troubles in china is really based on power hungry, those who are aginist china in china in xinjiang are warlords and just simple terrorists

ride teh plane to china and ask any muslims about their lives there, as any of them if they support anti-chinese laws stated by islamic factions in china

china is made up of 56 different ethenic groups, each with their special territory and land and cultures, han is just one of them

the plus side is that each group actually get along pretty well, with little disputes as we have done thousands of years

isreal and palis are completely different, they did not get along well at all, theyve only met each other 50 years ago

revenge is the wrong word. if a hamas member bombs israeli citizens, then killing him is not revenge, but stopping him from doing it again. either way, israel is not the agressor. it targets militants only... yes it also hits some innocent civilians, but civilian deaths are certain when terrorists live and fight from urban areas.

israel does not deny palis anything... before the intefata, israel supported palis with jobs... now the wall is up for the sole purpose of defence, and it WORKS!, and if a few terrorist sympathising pali's have to wait in line to save an israeli life, then from israels point of view, its well worth it.

i respect the chinese people, they never fought over stupid things like religeon, they should be commended for that.

"i respect the chinese people, they never fought over stupid things like religeon, they should be commended for that."

So all those missionaries killed in the Boxer Rebellion were just knocked off for some other reason?

Actually I think that the Boxers were more on the nationalistic side of the business, not the religious side, but I don't remember too well(been 2 years since I studied that in school). Its off-topic anyways.

Also, it is not so relevant who the aggressor is, but rather, what sacrifice the sides are willing to make to top the violence. Israel has stated before, and will probably go no further than this:

-Independent Palestinian State.
-97%-99% of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
-A part of eastern Jerusalem will be in Palestinian hands.
-The Palestinians may only have a Self-Defence force, not aggressive capabilities.
-No return of Palestinian refugees from the Arab countrys.

What are the Palestinians willing to sacrifice? I don't know. Until now they have not shown any willingness to let go of any of their demands. :?

Back