Israeli Merkava mk4 vs. Egyptian M1A2 SEP

benaakatz

In a theory tank battle in the Sinai if they went head on head which tank would come out on top (pleases factor in crew training and expertise, and possibly tactics)?

I assume the Israeli's crews are trained better but I thought one of the tanks guys said the Egyptian M1A2 are scaled down?

Sort of a moot point really since Israeli air power would still rule the battle field. Egypt's Vipers/Mirage 2000s still don't have radar guided missiles.

Sherman any truth to that are Egyptian M1A2 scaled down or export models?

Merkavae is a very intelligent tank.
The israel made a very good choice.
Lunatic what about the turkish tank that you made with korea.
can you remember me the name of the tank? it is X2?

K2 Black Panther

Exports

After competing against the Leclerc and Leopard 2, the K2 finally established its first export customer in Turkey. In June 2007, South Korea and Turkey have successfully negotiated for an arms export deal contract worth 500 billion (approximately USD$540 million) which will license the design of the K2, as well as exporting 40(+15) KT-1 trainer planes, to Turkey.[1]
On July 30, 2008, South Korea's Rotem and Turkey's Otokar signed a contract worth $540 million for direct technology transfer of the engine, transmission, autoloader and reactive armor of the K2. The technology is to be incorporated to Turkey's own indigenous future main battle tank, dubbed MİTÜP Altay. Design details of the Altay tank has not been made public as of May, 2009, but albeit sharing many subsystems with the K2, it is expected to feature a different general look and performance characteristics.

Merkavae is a very intelligent tank.
The israel made a very good choice.
Lunatic what about the turkish tank that you made with korea.
can you remember me the name of the tank? it is X2?

Don't really have much to add to what Benaakatz quoted. It's based on one of the best tanks currently available, so hopefully it'll be an alright platform in Turkish/NATO hands as well. TSK will order 4 batches of 250 tanks until 2025, bringing the total number of Altay MBTs to 1,000. Each new batch is expected to feature significant improvements like it's been the case with the Korean program.

I'm really glad to see South Korea and Turkey cooperate at a very grand scale on defense. Hopefully the Dokdo class LPD will be chosen for the way overdue TN amphibious tender.

tank_XK-2_South-Korea_news_020307_003.jpg

Last edited:
I think that,and thaqt is by book I read about the 67' war and the 73' war from tankists,that if the arabs hadent washed them in their numbers then they had beaten them with no problem,so i really think that the Israeli crews are far better,and that is objective opinion(dont get me wrong).
i also think that when the Merkava faces the M1a2 it can preform better.
also the Tactics by the Egyptians froces will fail for sure,as we have seen before,crossing the cannal and then leting the IAF bombared thier bridegs.
but at the end its all about what the tanks do and how they preform,not in theory but in real time situation.

do u ever see this as an actual scenario?

i don't really think so, but the one question remains: why has egypt built up its forces so much? why does it keep having exercises against an enemy from the east? who else is all this build up aimed at if not for israel?

google for libyan- egyptian war, that is one of the reasons, probably israel is the other reason but who knows.

The Egyptian M1A2 is an export version with downgraded frontal armor and the dont have American DU rounds. The Egyptian crews are less trained than the Israelis. However there are far more Egyptian Abrams than Mk4s...Most of hte IDF is still older tanks.

Lovely comparison,US export junk against one of the best tanks in the world, as for the level of training of Israeli CONSCRIPT army i'd be carefull, personally i think that against most European armies Israel would be hard pressed, against Western armies downright doomed.

All wars, have proved the war not only with weapons.!
Do not hide from you the most difficult thing in Egypt is the army also do not hide from you soldiers possible eat snakes, Slaughtered chickens and birds to eat him with his hand, Are trained to withstand adversity.
Today to prepare for war, Prevents them tomorrow. (Egyptian policy)
Sorry I'm not good in English I use Google Translation.

Mod edit: qouting country bashing is the same as doing it.

I think the more here no know this information.!

Last edited by a moderator:
sherman in the event of an all out war what other tanks would Israel use?

Merkava mk3?
Magach 6/7?

if s, how effective wold those be against the egyptian abrams?

While the patriotisem of our Egyptian friends is understandable, they are a bit over zealous. IDF soldiers have fought Egyptians at odds of 10-1. The stories about Egyptian infantry destroying tanks with hand grenades are rubibsh from Egyptian propoganda. Israeli tanks were hit mostly by RPG-7 and Sagger missiles. Attacking tanks with hand grenades isent brave as much as it is stupid, and no one dose it unless its a last result.

As far as Israeli "conscripts", I would put them against any European army, as long as it is where they were trained to fight, as n the Golan or Sinai. An Israeli tank crew gets more training before operational status than an American one, and that is a fact. Not saying we are better or worse, we just train more before operational status. Of the 2 years I spent in armor, I spent 50% in training and most of the rest in operations on tanks. Not many armies can do that. I dont know the level of training in Egypt, but assuming its lower than USA and higher the lets say Syria(which I know), I would say they are very far from being a match to Israeli tank crews.

If our Egyptian friends want to give me a list of training weeks an Egyptian crew gets before getting to operational status, we can discuss this much more seriously.

sherman in the event of an all out war what other tanks would Israel use?

Merkava mk3?
Magach 6/7?

if s, how effective wold those be against the egyptian abrams?

Merkava Mk 1, 2, 3, 4. Macgach 6 and 7. The ones armed with 105mm will have a harder time, the ones with the 120mm should be OK. Egyptian Abrams do not have the DU plate in their frontal armor. They also dont have DU-APFSDS.

Last edited:
Back