The Israeli Draw....Do people in other countries use it and why?

SHERMAN

The Israeli Draw is a pistol technique in which the pistol is carried holstered, with a magazine loaded and an empty chamber. When engaged the operator daws the pistol to the center of the body, at the same time moving his weak leg apart and his weak hand to meet the pistol. The pistol reaches the weak hand at the center of the body at shoulder height, horizontal to the ground. The weak hand grabs the slide and the strong hand pushes the pistol forward and rotates it in a pointing motion. The weak hand than joins the strong hand and the pistol.

This is the most common shooting position in Israel. Some of the more elite police and military units carry their pistols with a round in the chamber, but other than that everyone practices the "Israeli Draw". It seems that the main advantage is saftey, with houndreds of thousands of pistols being arried in the streets on a daily basis, and most people carrying them not being highly trained for firearm use. The main disadvantage is of course a 0.2-0.8 second delay(depending on the user, in my case i would have to say around 0.5) in releasing the first shot. It is basically illegal in Israel to carry a weapon with a chambered round...

So I was wondering...Anyone else uses this method? If so, why?

I've heard about it and stuff but I wasn't really trained with pistols so I wouldn't know. Seems like a nice thing to know but as for chambered round safety, how would you rate this pistol?

HK P7
p7m8blue.jpg

Supposed to be a safe pistol intended for police officers. Basically unless you grabbed the handle to depress the safety button it wouldn't fire.
That could save you time.

Israel's got some pretty interesting pistol techniques. I remember seeing the "kata" style Israeli tactical pistol shooting some time ago.

of course a pistol like that is safer to carry chambered, but most pistols used by private organizations arnt HK....We have CZ, FN, Jericho etc...

Nope..... not popular here in the States. We simply carry our weapons loaded. Reason being is that you might not have time to charge your weapon or worse.... you might be disabled and not be able to charge it but can still fire it.

CZ, FN, and the Jericho are 100% safe far carrying a round in the chamber with the safety off. They're all double action pistols (except a FN Hi-Power). They were designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. The long heavier trigger pull for the first shot (Double Action) is designed to prevent a miss fire.

Yeah I know. Thats why I was wondering about other places. I wouldent feel right with a chambered round, but that IDF training speaking, we rarely chamber a round unless we are in very specific areas.

When the 1911A1 was the issued service pistol it was carried in conditions:

Condition-3 empty no mag

Condition-2 Mag no round chambered

Condition 3- cocked and looked safety on

For most armed details the pistol was carried in condition 2, and we were taught the Israeli Draw (in some units). Conditions eventually went by the wayside when the M9 was introduced.

Some instructors teach the draw but as a rule most people here carry hot, even with the M1911A1 and Hi-Power type pistols. I carry a M1911A1 as a duty weapon and it's carried hot everyday.

I carry a Colt 1911, always cocked and locked, my son carries a CZ75 with a round in the chamber, the safety off and the hammer at rest.

I am a fan of single action as I can (if I have to) rapidly bring the weapon into action, and there is no difference in the point of impact between the first and second round. The thing I dislike about the CZ75 is being double action for the first shot and single action for the second changing the point of impact. But despite this, the CZ75 is a superb, reliable and accurate pistol.

The South African Police carry the Z88 which is the South African copy of the Beretta 92, also carry with a loaded magazine, empty chamber and safety engaged, despite the fact that the weapon can be carried safely with a chambered round. They call it "The Israeli Carry."

Last edited:
Really? thats strange. We NEVER engage the saftey.

To be honest, from what I have seen regarding the South African Police and their weapon safety and handling, I'm not impressed at all. I had a woman copper with her male partner come into the shop where she asked if we had a holster to fit her Z88. She removed her weapon and placed it on the counter after removing the magazine. She was asked to "Make Safe." She didnt know what I was talking about. Her partner had to make the weapon safe for her.

if you carry a pistol like the CZ75 with a magzine loaded and an empty chamber engaging the saftey is rather silly. The chance of a pistol being cocked un-intentionally is very very slim. On the other hand if you draw under pressure there is a good chance you will forget to disengage the saftey...I can get the idea of carrying chambered and saftey engeaged, but not chambered with saftey engaged is b******t.

if you carry a pistol like the CZ75 with a magzine loaded and an empty chamber engaging the saftey is rather silly. The chance of a pistol being cocked un-intentionally is very very slim. On the other hand if you draw under pressure there is a good chance you will forget to disengage the saftey...I can get the idea of carrying chambered and saftey engeaged, but not chambered with saftey engaged is b******t.

The CZ75 safety cannot be engaged with the hammer at rest, while the Z88 can. Another practice the SAP do that I dont like, they are taught to check the chamber is empty then squeeze the trigger (dry fire). The result is, a lot of South African police pistols have broken firing pins.

As I said, I'm not impressed with the South African Police firearm training, but then again some of the recruits are not of the best standard. How many countries would employ people in the police who are illiterate? South Africa has.

Well, I dont know much about firearms. The only person who actually is carrying a hand weapon is woman who had military training when she was younger.

And she is using a Walther PPK. I remember this gun easily because she told me that it was in the James Bond movies ^^

The gun got a safety, with a red light to know where its in safe position or not.

And she is always carrying it in her purse.

And I never thought about the time you need to take out your gun... Because I think that if you are under attack... It's not 1second or two that will make the difference...

Unless you want to duel like a cow boy in the western movies...

Safety is the most important thing to worry about.

You have 1/million chance to be saved by a ready to fire weapon.
You have 1/10.000 chance to shoot a bullet in your own leg by accident.

LeMask..... if you saw some of the toys I have you'd think I was planning the invasion of Christmas Island.

Invade Christmas Island? who would dare to do such a terrible thing?

You war mongers! Bring it on if you dare!

I dont want to throw crabs and coco nuts at you... I could get biological on you, dont push your luck.

Here is a picture of the last people who tried messing with Christmas Island. Haha, look at them suffering... Forced to drink coconut milk to survive... Watch this and give up hope.
2415246690068483561ieiSsL_fs.jpg

No seriously, tell us about the guns you own. Is it legal? How much you spent on them? Do you "work" with them? Are you a cop? soldier? or something like that? or do you own them just for sport/defence?

Honestly, I never lived in a "society" allowing firearms.

People dont perceive weapons as tools around me...

Invade Christmas Island? who would dare to do such a terrible thing?

You war mongers! Bring it on if you dare!

I dont want to throw crabs and coco nuts at you... I could get biological on you, dont push your luck.

Here is a picture of the last people who tried messing with Christmas Island. Haha, look at them suffering... Forced to drink coconut milk to survive... Watch this and give up hope.
2415246690068483561ieiSsL_fs.jpg

No seriously, tell us about the guns you own. Is it legal? How much you spent on them? Do you "work" with them? Are you a cop? soldier? or something like that? or do you own them just for sport/defence?

Honestly, I never lived in a "society" allowing firearms.

People dont perceive weapons as tools around me...

All of your questions are answered here....

Ask a gun nut.....

I believe that in general most semi auto weapons cycle better when fired than when cycled manualy. Why depend on a secessful manual cycling before a life threating situation, when you could have a round in the chamber to begin with?

he went into younder village and never returned.

Generally it's because some pouge behind a desk is afraid Private Snuffy will shoot his toe off dorkin around with a loaded weapon. Thereby causing an IG investigation and affecting said pouges fit- rep :)

Yeah but thats natural selection. The competant always get screwed for the good of the 10%ers.

I spent some time in a barricks that was across the street from the brig. The brig had a sand bucket outside the door for chassers (guards delivering prisoners) to point their 1911's at while clearing them. At least every few days someone would clear out of sequence and fire a round. We would all run outside to watch someone get their ass chewed.

I carry a 1911 chambered because I am retired and have become a grumpy old man who finally dosn't realy have anyone to answer to.

he went into younder village and never returned

Back