Israeli combat uniforms

Lunatik

israeli_soldiers_2.jpg

I've never understood this. Why don't the Israeli troops wear actual desert camo? Does this WW2-era single color uniform scheme provide any advantage in terms of tactics?

Well...The IDF operates in terms of constant severe money shortage. And the same units that fight in the desert have to fight in the north, and in urban terrain. Dark olive green is the best all around, espcially in the dark. Its not as good for every specific area of Israel, but all around it dose well. Specific units of course use other uniforms, including american camo, white snow camo, etc.

So mostly its an economic issue.

Hi Sherman!

According to Wikipedia (and it's great reliability, lol) IDF's defense budget is $13.3 billion and has 176,500 personnel. Considering Israel's long standing tradition of prioritizing the importance of avoiding friendly losses, I'd have assumed your average troop on the field would get the best gear possible. Clothing is probably the most important piece of equipment on a soldier after his rifle. To me it sounds like it's about time for an overall uniform upgrade. Some soft of digital desert/urban camo fusion, perhaps.

I like the new universal US Army digital camo.

1064.jpg

Did you look at the reserves figure? The main fighting force of the IDF is its reserve force...Now lets look at some of the procurment projects the IDF is currently invested in

*Merkava Mk 4

*Nemera Heavy IFV

*Tavor rifle

*Future purchase of the F-35

There are plenty of others... The IDF is constantly buying new systems. No one can justify the purchase of tens of millions of uniforms. and yes, you have to have tens of milions. Consider each soldier has 4 pairs on avrage, and there is constant wear and tear.

Yes sir, you've got good a point there.

ahq.sized.jpg

BTW, found this photo of an Israeli soldier in dessert camo. Looks very similar to the US camo but not quite it.

Last edited:
Looks like the 90's era chocolate chip cammo.

Actually clothing isn't *that* important unless we're talking about durability, comfort etc.
Although it's good to have good cammo patterns, I wouldn't make it high enough to shift funding from good equipment and weapons.

Back