Israeli Captured Armor in 1973

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I have been reading a whole bunch of the posts on the Sinai Campgain of the thread that seems to go on forever about the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

But what I am asking about is the captured Soviet Equiptment in Israel's Arsenal during the conflict.

What I am asking ties into a bigger question, in 1973 did any of the Israeli Reserve units in particular fare well with Soviet equiptment and vehicles in Manuever warfare?

I have always wondered that at that point in time and elsewere in other conflicts invovling Soviet Vehicles and equiptment, if the fielding force would have adopted western manuver tactics that the effectiveness of these vehicles would have been mulitiplied.

I can not think of any better example than the Captured tanks and APCs that Israel had in it's possession and used during this massive war of manuever, which up until then, was only parallel to WW ll in terms of large mechcanized units in action against one another, particularly armor.

My question is simple, did Israel do extremely well or not so good using captured Soviet equiptment in the Yom Kippur War?

Last edited:
Back