Israel vows "tolerance" for Palestinian protests (Reuters)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
Reuters - A senior officer said Monday that Israeli soldiers would show "much more tolerance" toward Palestinian demonstrations than in the past thanks to riot-control training and new equipment designed to reduce injuries and deaths.

More...

Yep,.. and the pigs are fueled, armed and ready to fly.

So far their "tolerance" has been limited to shooting protesters with so called "rubber" bullets that have the ballistic effects of ball rounds. They are in fact steel cored and more closely allied to light anti armour rounds.

Don't believe me,... here's a report from Haaretz. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/idf-rubber-bullets-hit-7-fence-protesters-1.196413

OK...I had to look it up to be sure...
I know the IDF and Israeli border patrol was using rubber coated ball bearings 2 cm in diameter, but it seems they have turned to a new type.
"...rubber coated metal cylinder 1,7 cm in diameter..."

I still believe a combination of water cannons and tear gas would be more efficient.

OK...I had to look it up to be sure...
I know the IDF and Israeli border patrol was using rubber coated ball bearings 2 cm in diameter, but it seems they have turned to a new type.
"...rubber coated metal cylinder 1,7 cm in diameter..."

I still believe a combination of water cannons and tear gas would be more efficient.
I guess it depends if you only wish to discourage them, or to kill them.

I guess it depends if you only wish to discourage them, or to kill them.

And that would off course depend on what orders and ROE I was given at the time.

I'm trying to put myself in the boots of a 19 year old IDF conscript, baked by the sun on an otherwise boring patrol on the border to a hostile territory.
What kind of mentality is to be found within such a patrol, is there any elements of sense incorporated or are they all eager to serve their country the best way possible?
Is it a group of late teenagers competing in order to show off who's the toughest and most "Rambo-like" of them?
Have they all been told since birth that the people on the "other side" is the personification of evil, with the intent of destroying the state of Israel as the main goal of their existense.

It's a difficult setting, and a dangerous one too.

As you say, those IDF members have been bought up in a culture that is permeated by Zionist and religious zealotry. They have little chance of being objective in their analysis of the situation.

Back