Islam countries boycotting danish goods! *very interesting*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morten

okay this is a HUGE debate going on right now, and if u dont know of it, then u have been living in a hole :)

i'll try to provide as much info regarding this as possible... believe me, its worth the read.

maybe DK will be more hated than the USA... could happen.. LoL! hilarious

the famous pics :)

UntitledX1.jpg
UntitledX2.jpg
UntitledX4.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4651714.stm

Saudi Arabia has recalled its ambassador to Denmark in a row about cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad published by a best-selling newspaper.
A Saudi government spokesman said the ambassador had been recalled for talks following Denmark's failure to deal with the insults to the Prophet.

Some of the cartoons in Jyllands-Posten last September depicted him as a stereotype of an Islamic terrorist.

The paper said it was testing the boundaries of expression about Islam.

It said at the time that both the paper and the cartoonist had received threats.

Ambassadors from several Muslim countries complained to Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who had earlier said he could not tell papers what to print, or not to.

Islam bans any depiction of Muhammad or Allah.

Boycott

On Thursday, the Saudi government said it had recalled its ambassador "for consultations in light of the Danish government's lack of attention to insulting the Prophet Muhammad by its newspapers".

Danish food producers Arla Foods said the anger sparked by the cartoons had prompted a boycott of its dairy products in Saudi Arabia.

Arla director Finn Hansen said there had been calls for boycotting Danish products in Friday prayers and on Saudi television and in newspapers.

"We are certainly afraid this will spread across Saudi Arabia and affect our business," he told Reuters news agency.

There were street protests both in Denmark and in Muslim countries following the publication of the cartoons.

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]EU warns on Danish boycott[/FONT]
by
Monday 30 January 2006 1:02 PM GMT
E4EFBA6A55924A059DF4F6EF3028EDA0.jpg
The threat was delivered by Mandelson to a Saudi minister
The European Union has warned Saudi Arabia that the bloc will take action at the World Trade Organisation if the Riyadh government supports a boycott of Danish goods.

Peter Mandelson, the EU trade commissioner, told the Saudi Minister of State that any Danish boycott would be a boycott of the European Union.
Peter Power, a EU spokesman, said on Monday: "He made it clear that if the Saudi government had encouraged the boycott, Commissioner Mandelson would regret having to take the issue to the WTO."
A Danish newspaper's publication of caricatures of Prophet Muhammad has led to tension between Denmark and some Muslim countries.
The Saudi minister told Mandelson the government had not encouraged the boycott.

Denmark told Riyadh it did not support the incitement of racial hatred, but could not condemn the free expression of the press.
The European Union executive agreed.
Johannes Laitenberger, EU Commission spokesman, said: "The exercise of these freedoms must be respected.
"It is the public debate on the pros and on the cons of the views expressed that is the right form of reaction in a democratic and pluralistic society, and pressure not to exercise these freedoms is unacceptable."
Boycott
The Danish Foreign Ministry has warned Danes in the Middle East to take care.
Saudi Arabia recalled its ambassador to Denmark last week, and Libya has closed its embassy in the Danish capital.
Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the prophet, even respectful ones, out of concern that such images could lead to idolatry.

73CC64A1696C4D049DF5CC2AFAC0D8EF.jpg
Various Gulf countries have
cleared the shelves of Arla goods

The EU Commission said on Monday that armed men demonstrated outside an EU technical facility in Gaza City to protest against the caricatures.
It said no one was injured and denied reports that the office had been occupied.
Consumers in many predominantly Muslim countries were boycotting Danish goods.
Denmark-based Arla Foods said the consumer boycott of its products in the Middle East was almost total.
Arla Foods' products have been removed from shop shelves in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, Europe's largest dairy group said.
The Middle East is Arla Foods' main market outside Europe.
It has $430 million in annual sales in the Middle East and about 1000 employees in the region.

AP
By
You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...990F9E0F12.htm
A Danish flag in Gaza

30_boycott_3.jpg
blank.gif

Thou Shalt Not Draw

Last September, Danish author Kåre Bluitgen was set to publish a book on the Muslim prophet Muhammad, but there was just one catch: he couldn’t find an illustrator.

Artistic representations of the human form are forbidden in Islam, and pictures of Muhammad are especially taboo — so three artists turned down Bluitgen’s offer to illustrate the book for fear that they would pay with their lives for doing so.

Frants Iver Gundelach, president of the Danish Writers Union, decried this as a threat to free speech — and the largest newspaper in Denmark, Jyllands-Posten, responded. They approached forty artists asking for depictions of Muhammad and received in response twelve cartoons of the Prophet — several playing on the violence committed by Muslims in the name of Islam around the world today.

Danish Imam Raed Hlayhel was the first to react. “This type of democracy is worthless for Muslims,” he fumed. “Muslims will never accept this kind of humiliation. The article has insulted every Muslim in the world. We demand an apology!”

Jyllands-Posten refused. Editor-in-chief Carsten Juste refused: “We live in a democracy. That’s why we can use all the journalistic methods we want to. Satire is accepted in this country, and you can make caricatures. Religion shouldn’t set any barriers on that sort of expression. This doesn’t mean that we wish to insult any Muslims.”

Cultural editor Flemming Rose concurred: “Religious feelings,” he observed, “cannot demand special treatment in a secular society. In a democracy one must from time to time accept criticism or becoming a laughingstock.”

…Christians Against Ridicule, however, issued no death threats at that point or any other; some Muslims in Denmark after the cartoons were published were not quite so sanguine. Jyllands-Posten had to hire security guards to protect its staff as threats came in by phone and email.

Muslim anger was not limited to threat-issuing thugs. In late October ambassadors to Denmark from eleven Muslim countries asked Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen for a meeting about what they called the “smear campaign” against Muslims in the Danish press.

Rasmussen declined: “This is a matter of principle. I won’t meet with them because it is so crystal clear what principles Danish democracy is built upon that there is no reason to do so.” He added: “I will never accept that respect for a religious stance leads to the curtailment of criticism, humour and satire in the press.” The matter, he said, was beyond his authority: “As prime minister I have no tool whatsoever to take actions against the media and I don’t want that kind of tool.”

As far as one of the ambassadors, Egypt’s, was concerned, that was the wrong answer.

Egyptian officials withdrew from a dialogue they had been conducting with their Danish counterparts about human rights and discrimination. Egyptian Embassy Councillor Mohab Nasr Mostafa Mahdy added: “The Egyptian ambassador in Denmark has said that the case no longer rests with the embassy. It is now being treated at an international level. As far as I have been informed by my government, the cartoon case has already been placed on the agenda for the Islamic Conference Organization’s extraordinary summit in the beginning of December.”

Meanwhile, in Denmark in early November thousands of Muslims marched in demonstrations against the cartoons.

Two of the cartoonists, fearing for their lives, went into hiding. The Pakistani Jamaaat-e-Islami party offered five thousand kroner to anyone who killed one of the cartoonists.

The Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), with a membership of 56 Muslim nations, protested to the Danish government.

Last week business establishments closed to protest the cartoons — in Kashmir. The Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad, was reportedly “anguished” by the cartoons, and asked India’s Prime Minister to complain to the Danish government.

And last Saturday the most respected authority in the Sunni Muslim world, Mohammad Sayed Tantawi, Grand Sheikh of Al-Azhar University in Cairo, declared that the cartoons had “trespassed all limits of objective criticism into insults and contempt of the religious beliefs of more than one billion Muslims around the world, including thousands in Denmark. Al-Azhar intends to protest these anti-Prophet cartoons with the UN’s concerned committees and human rights groups around the world.”

The UN was happy to take the case. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Louise Arbour, wrote to the OIC: “I understand your attitude to the images that appeared in the newspaper. I find alarming any behaviors that disregard the beliefs of others. This kind of thing is unacceptable.” She announced that investigations for racism and “Islamophobia” would commence forthwith.

While solicitous of Muslim belief, Arbour did not seem concerned about the beliefs of the Danes. Yet Jyllands-Posten had well articulated its position as founded upon core principles of the Western world: “We must quietly point out here that the drawings illustrated an article on the self-censorship which rules large parts of the Western world. Our right to say, write, photograph and draw what we want to within the framework of the law exists and must endure — unconditionally!” Juste added: “If we apologize, we go against the freedom of speech that generations before us have struggled to win.”

That freedom is imperiled internationally more today than it has been in recent memory. As it grows into an international cause célèbre, the cartoon controversy indicates the gulf between the Islamic world and the post-Christian West in matters of freedom of speech and expression. And it may yet turn out that as the West continues to pay homage to its idols of tolerance, multiculturalism, and pluralism, it will give up those hard-won freedoms voluntarily.

Last edited:
Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades members hold anti-Denmark demonstration Sunday to protest recent publication of caricatures mocking Prophet Muhammad in Danish newspaper, threaten to harm Danish nationals in territories and urge them to leave area immediately

Dozens of al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades members held a demonstration against Denmark Sunday at the main square in the West Bank town of Nablus, shouted anti-Danish slogans and threatened to harm Danish targets located in the West Bank and Gaza.

Sunday's demonstration is the last in a string of Muslim rallies to protest the recent publication of a series of caricatures mocking Muslim prophet Muhammad in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.

The caricatures, including one that depicts Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban, stirred outrage among the Muslim community in Denmark
that soon crossed borders and spread to other countries as well.

During the demonstration in Nablus, participants threatened to harm Danish interests in the territories and called on all Danish representatives and activists operating in the area to leave immediately. Members of the organization also urged Danish citizens planning to enter the territories to refrain from doing so in order to avoid being hurt.

Protesters also demanded the Palestinian public to suspend all ties with Denmark, in light of what they described as a "serious insult to Muslim sentiments."

An al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades senior member told Ynet that "the Danish campaign against the prophet Muhammad constitutes part of the crusade the western world conducts against Islam."

'Protest against enemies of Islam'

The activist stressed the demonstration was not related to recent political developments in the territories and to Hamas' win in the elections.

"This is a demonstration for Islam and against the enemies of Islam. We are not interested in seeing Danish nationals here, and we are currently debating how to act against them within our borders," he added.

Meanwhile, the International Islamic Council on Saturday called on all Muslims to make sure their protest against Denmark takes only peaceful means.

"We ask all members of the Islamic nations to express their views in a calm and civilized manner, and to avoid getting carried away and make mistakes unbecoming of Muhammad's way," the organization said in a statement.

Notably, Saudi Arabia has already recalled its ambassador from Copenhagen last week, claiming Denmark has not done enough to appease offended worshippers.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...207758,00.html

that was all i could find in 10 minutes :p lol...

i have discussed this with TONS of people! and everyone thinks that the Islamic countries are acting like idiots... woot surprise...

i just couldn't see any thread with this debate in it so i took the responsibility to keep u informed ;)

hehe... anyways...

ur oppinions?

Last edited:
Freedom of the Press. I don't always like it but I believe in it (despite my comments to the contrary). If the Muslims have a problem with it touch luck, in Western Society you can say whatever the hell you want and not worry about repercussions (theoretically speaking of course.)

Looks like the Muslims are making a whole lot out of nothing.

What is up with their obsession with walking on the flags of nations that protect the rights of women, believe in a free and open press and aren't ruled by a Muslim Theocracy?

Damien435 said:
Freedom of the Press. I don't always like it but I believe in it (despite my comments to the contrary). If the Muslims have a problem with it touch luck, in Western Society you can say whatever the hell you want and not worry about repercussions (theoretically speaking of course.)

Looks like the Muslims are making a whole lot out of nothing.

What is up with their obsession with walking on the flags of nations that protect the rights of women, believe in a free and open press and aren't ruled by a Muslim Theocracy?

they also burn danish flags :) lmao... guess they ran out of american and british flags eh? ;)

haha its hilarious... anyways, a little organization to stand up for what they believe in
http://www.advar.org/eng.html

Too bad this "organization to stand up for what they believe in" is so misplaced. They should focus on the fanatics who are truly a threat to Islam instead of the press in a far away nation that cracks one little joke. (I don't understand the joke, at all.)

Norway has also been drawn into this :cens:

Nordic citizens threatened in the Gaza Strip

The Palestinian group Holy War has asked Danes, Norwegians and Swedes to leave the Gaza Strip immediatley. The Nordic citizens have been asked to leave the area within 48 hours. On Monday, armed men burned the Norwegian flag outside the EU Headquarters in Gaza.

The background for the reaction is that the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten last year published a series of charicatures of the Profet Muhammed. A facsimile of the drawings was later published by a Norwegian Christian magagzine.

Monday's demonstrators burned Norwegian and Danish flags and read a declaration demanding an official apology.

According to Islam, it is forbidden to make any image of the Prophet, and the charicatures have led to strong reactions from Muslim nations and from Muslims living in Denmark.

The Norwegian People's Aid has two aid workers stationed in Gaza, and the Norwegian Department of Foreign Affairs has now coordinated travel arrangements for their immediate departure from the Gaza Strip.
http://www.norwaypost.no/cgi-bin/norwaypost/imaker?id=21518

Norwegian flag burned in Gaza

Muslim activists, upset that a Norwegian magazine reprinted a caricature of the prophet Mohammed, burned a Norwegian flag outside the European Union's office in Gaza on Monday.

Norway isn't a member of the European Union, but that didn't seem to dissuade the activists. They hailed from the political group al-Yasser, according to the Associated Press on the scene.
The activists also sprayed photos of both the Norwegian and Danish flags with black paint.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1210029.ece

Norwegians told to leave Gaza

Norway's Foreign Ministry was heeding a warning Monday from Islamic groups that want all Scandinavians out of Gaza. The groups claim the Scandinavians have offended them by printing controversial caricatures of their prophet Mohammed.

The first drawing, which showed the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb, appeared in the Danish newspaper Jyllands Posten in September and was re-printed in a Norwegian Christian publication called Magazinet earlier this month. Islamic law forbids any illustrations of the prophet Mohammed, so the caricatures have spurred protests from Islamic countries and from Muslims living in Denmark.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1209778.ece

The editor of the Norwegian magazine has also received over 20 death threats after they published the drawings
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=301479
(in Norwegian)

Militant group threatens to attack Norwegian targets

According to an article on a website an extreme Iraqi militant group has told it's "members" to attack "all available Danish and Norwegian targets"

The group calls themselves "holy warriors", and it's the drawings of the prophet Muhammed that is the reason for these threats.

- "Everyone who wishes to protect their religion should do whatever they can to defend the prophet and his followers"
(translated quote from the article)
(In Norwegian)
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=132726

You know what, I like the BBC. I just clicked on their link for news in the Americas and I actually had to scroll down to find something that involved Bush. Touche.

I've mentioned on here several times that the Muslim mindset is not that one or two out of many Western Nations are evil. They demand that the most mundane rules in the Koran be gold plated by the West or you are satan.

Methinks the Islam Nations doth protest too much.

Seems to me that if God, Jesus, Bhudda, The Pope, etc had been put in a satire, or illustrated in a light becoming or otherwise, it would be OK by their views. Double standards.

Being part Norwiegen I feel I need to draw the line. Because of their treatment and threats against the land of my ancestors, I will not longer buy products produced in Gaza. Fine products like....

ah....

hmm...

Well if they ever do start producing something besides terrorists, I won't buy it.

The two opposing sides in this issue are behaving quite irrational under several bad conditions. While we have a fragile democracy in Iraq and Palestine, terrorist threats, and a deepening political/security crisis in the Middle East, all this is a complete waste of time. Instead it is merely worsening the situation.

CABAL said:
The two opposing sides in this issue are behaving quite irrational under several bad conditions. While we have a fragile democracy in Iraq and Palestine, terrorist threats, and a deepening political/security crisis in the Middle East, all this is a complete waste of time. Instead it is merely worsening the situation.
Or just ensuring that the next and final crusade will happen that much sooner.

Was anyone even surprised by this? If you were, then you need to open your eyes.

This is what Islam is like they will demand total and strict adherance to and cannot even criticize one little thing about about their religion. This is what they want to make Europe into and is most likely going to happen in around 50 years if no one does anything, and people bury their heads in the sand.

Now I support peoples right to boycott if they want, thats fine, but you simply can't tell a government to restrict freedom of the press because you don't like what it says.

Rasmussen declined: “This is a matter of principle. I won’t meet with them because it is so crystal clear what principles Danish democracy is built upon that there is no reason to do so.” He added: “I will never accept that respect for a religious stance leads to the curtailment of criticism, humour and satire in the press.” The matter, he said, was beyond his authority: “As prime minister I have no tool whatsoever to take actions against the media and I don’t want that kind of tool.”
Bravo!

This just goes to prove to you that the Muslim religion and Western society are totally incompatible, and will NEVER result in a good compromise, enventually one will win out over the other.

LMAO Forrest_Gump!!! loved that reply ;)

anyways... more

By DONNA ABU-NASR, Associated Press Writer Mon Jan 30, 1:26 PM ET

BEIRUT, Lebanon - The controversy over Danish caricatures of Prophet Muhammad escalated Monday as gunmen seized an EU office in Gaza and Muslims appealed for a trade boycott of Danish products. Denmark called for its citizens in the Middle East to exercise vigilance.​
[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]
Denmark-based Arla Foods, which has been the target of a widespread boycott in the Middle East, reported that two of its employees in Saudi Arabia were beaten by angry customers. Aid groups, meanwhile, pulled workers out of Gaza, citing the threat of hostilities.​

The 12 drawings — published in a Danish paper in September and in a Norwegian paper this month — included an image of the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse. Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the prophet, even respectful ones, out of concern that such images could lead to idolatry.​

Danish government officials have expressed regret over the furor but have refused to get involved, citing freedom of expression. The Jyllands-Posten newspaper has refused to apologize for publishing the drawings and has said it did not mean to insult Islam.​

Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen briefed European Union colleagues about the matter Monday. He has repeatedly rejected calls to intervene.​

But Arla Food's executive director urged the Danish government to take action.​

"Freedom of expression is an internal Danish issue but this has a totally different dimension," Peder Tuborgh said. "This is about Denmark having offended millions of Muslims."​

Villy Soevndal, leader of the small opposition Socialist People's Party, said Denmark "cannot be a country where the prime minister goes into hiding while Denmark loses export money, Danish citizens are being threatened and Danish flags burned."​

In Gaza, masked gunmen briefly took over an office used by the EU, demanding an apology from Denmark and Norway. The gunmen said citizens of the two countries would be prevented from entering the Gaza Strip. No one was hurt.​

The Danish Red Cross said it was evacuating two employees from Gaza and one from Yemen.​

"There have been concrete threats against our employees. The fact that they are Danish nationals has made the difference," Danish Red Cross spokesman Anders Ladekarl said.​

The Norwegian People's Aid group also said it was withdrawing its two Norwegian representatives in Gaza but that operations would be maintained by local staff.​

In a statement issued Sunday evening on its Web site, the Foreign Ministry called for Danes in the Middle East to be cautious.​

In Iraq, a roadside bomb targeted a joint Danish-Iraqi patrol near the southern city of Basra on Monday, wounding one Iraqi policeman, military officials said. The attack was the first involving Danish troops since the protests flared.​

Danish forces said the roadside bomb was targeting the Iraqi police rather than the Danes, though British Maj. Peter Cripps said coalition forces were investigating if there was any link between the attack and the drawings.​

Arabs and Muslims also are calling for a boycott of Danish foods, including popular cream cheese, butter and cookie brands. Arla said the boycott of its products in the Middle East was almost total.​

"Sales have come to a standstill in almost all markets," said Jens Refslund, the foods production division manager.​

Arla Foods has $430 million in annual sales in the Middle East and about 1,000 employees in the region.​
Saudi Arabia, which has recalled its ambassador to Denmark, was warned by the EU trade commissioner that the 25-nation bloc would take action with the World Trade Organization if the kingdom supported a Danish boycott, the European Commission said Monday.​

Libya on Sunday said it was closing its embassy in Denmark.​
Emirates' Minister of Justice and Islamic Affairs Mohammed Al Dhaheri said publishing the "blasphemous" cartoons was "disgusting and irresponsible," according to comments released Monday by the official WAM news agency.​
"This is cultural terrorism, not freedom of expression. The repercussions of such irresponsible acts will have adverse impact on international relations."​
The Egyptian parliament's Economic Committee refused to discuss a $72.5 million loan from Denmark to Egypt, with newspapers quoting lawmakers as saying they do not want to cooperate with a country that has insulted the prophet.​
In Pakistan, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said the government is "engaged with the Danish government" over the cartoon publication.​
She said Pakistan hopes the Danish government would "try to resolve this issue because you cannot hurt the sentiments of billions of Muslims in the name of freedom of press."​

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_prophet_drawings_5

Bloody hell, do they even know what a "scandinavian" looks like? Tall, blond and blue eyes.... I will have to reconsider my holiday to Gaza, while I was really looking to going :(.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back