ISC To Shut Gates At Pikes Peak

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
I found this article. Too bad, because it is a really nice track with some great racing.

October 5, 2005
By NSSN Staff

FOUNTAIN, Colo. -- Less than a month after not landing an Indy Racing League event for the first time in its history, the end appears near for Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway.

The one-mile oval near Colorado Springs was built in 1997 at the cost of $35 million and since has hosted IRL, NASCAR Busch Series, Craftsman Truck Series and USAC events.

The International Speedway Corporation announced last week it is buying the track and will petition NASCAR to move the facility's Busch Series race to Martinsville (Va.) Speedway -- another ISC-owned track.

"While our time in the world of racing is coming to an end, I am very proud of the positive impact we made on motorsports in Colorado and for the economic impact we have made on the local economy," PPIR President Rob Johnson said. "I have worked with a group of the most dedicated people I've ever met and will always have fond memories of my experiences at PPIR."

ISC also plans to move many of the track's belongings, including grandstands, furniture and other equipment, to other ISC-owned facilities.

ISC, which will operate the facility under a subsidiary known as Rocky Mountain Speedway Corp., is intent on selling the track some time after Oct. 31.

Back