Irish Citizen Joining a foriegn military

I-SHOT-JR

Hey folks,

I am in my last year of college finishing my 4 year science degree. I really want to do some military service in my life, I was hoping on joining the Irish army when I finish but that is out of the question now (Recruitment freeze, cut back on UN peacekeeping missions:-x).

I was just wondering what my options are for joining a foriegn military?I've been seriously thinking of going for the Royal marines, if not that then the Royal Irish Regiment. Would the U.S Marine Corps be out of the question, even with a degree and distant family there(sponsorship) would help with getting a green card? Also, I know that people with a dgree can enlist as an officer in there own national military, how would my degree help me out if I'm in a foriegn military?
I'm just wieghing up my options, any advice would be appreciated:cheers:
Brian.

There is the French Foreign Legion.
Green Card is out of the question. It will take you the better part of a decade to get one if you get all the steps right and no one screws you over.
If you have 4 years of military experience you could do a lateral transfer to the Australian Army which is easier said than done, but not impossible.

Why not join the British Army? Former members of the commonwealth AND IRELAND are permitted to join.

Citizenship requirements are here. Basically if you are an Irish citizen in good standing you qualify.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/15373.aspx

BTW, one one the British Armies elite regiments is the Irish Guards, one of 4 regiments that guard Buckingham palace.

I Think thats your best bet.

Ya it seems the USMC is out of the question alright. I think I'm gonna aim for the Royal Marines, just finished reading a book written by a former Royal Marine and he was offered a 2 year exchange programe to the USMC during his service:cool:, does this still happen now days?
Not sure if the Irish Guards are for me. The French Foreign Legion on the other hand could be an option, seems to offer what I'm looking for: A challenge, tough training...
I wonder what the mood would be for an Irish guy in the british millitary, with the recent trouble stirring up in the north and all?

Last edited:
Hi, i have a question but instead of starting a new tread i'll ask it here.

People from country's in the european union, can they join the brittish army, i mean they can work in britain i think without a job permit, or so i've heard.

Hi, i have a question but instead of starting a new tread i'll ask it here.

People from country's in the european union, can they join the brittish army, i mean they can work in britain i think without a job permit, or so i've heard.

The answer is no. Only Ireland and those countries from the former British Commonwealth are allowed. (Canada, Australia, NZ, etc...). Americans are not allowed to join either. (I checked for myself a few years ago). The only way to do it is live in the UK the manatory 5 years, become a citizen, then join. You can work in the UK as a civilian.

Look to my previous post I provided a link from the MOD concerning citizenship requirements.

Here is a link those countries under the British Commonwealth.

***Personal note: there is one minor exception. You can work as a civilian for the British Army. Just after Iraq freedom I was contacted by a headhunter to do 6 months of IT work for the British Army in Iraq. I did have to go through a security clearance, but I remember the recruiter saying expressly that British nationality was not required (at least for that job). I never actually applied for that job as the idea of going to Iraq had little appeal, (it did pay extremely well though).

Last edited:
I'm doing great, im in the light infantry as a 1st sergeant.
I reenlisted (i gues you can call it) after my conscription time, thats why i have't been on this site for quite a while :).

Insats/Närskydds, is what i mean but i think the definition in english is Light Infantry.

Anyway KJ, what do you serve as? If i might ask :).

Back