Ireland a republic

Reiben said:
A republic was proclaimed, but at the peace treaty the representatives of Ireland accepted dominion status. Ireland did not become a repbulic until 1948. Those are the facts.
True, but what really matters is what the Irish people thought and believed, and no matter what you say, or what facts you quote, you cannot change what is in the minds of the people!

tomtom22 said:
True, but what really matters is what the Irish people thought and believed,
And you are an expert on what the Irish people believed in that period then, are you ?
and no matter what you say, or what facts you quote, you cannot change what is in the minds of the people!
We are dealing in facts, not wishful thinking.
Stop trying to re-write history, there are already far too many people attempting to do that.

If the State was a republic in 1922, what on earth was the Irish civil war of 1922-3 all about then ????

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelines/ni/civil_war.shtml

Last edited:
tomtom22 said:
True, but what really matters is what the Irish people thought and believed, and no matter what you say, or what facts you quote, you cannot change what is in the minds of the people!

:bang:

I guess I am not going to change your view, but I deal in facts on this one.

In December 1898, the U.S. purchased the Philippines and other territories from Spain at the Treaty of Paris for the sum of $20 million, after the U.S. defeated Spain in the Spanish-American War. The U.S. government made plans to make the Philippines an American colony. However, the Filipinos, fighting for their independence from Spain had already declared their independence on 12 June 1898.

On 1 January 1899, Aguinaldo was declared the first President of the Philippines. President McKinley subsequently declared Aguinaldo to be an "outlaw bandit". The United States declared the insurgency officially over in 1902.

The people of the Philippines surely thought themselves to be a republic.

The Philippines came under overall U.S. control and were organized as a United States territory. In 1935, their status was upgraded to that of an American commonwealth, and plans were made to grant the islands independence in the next decade. Independence for the Philippines was finally granted on 4 July 1946.

Last edited:
Reiben said:
:bang:

I guess I am not going to change your view, but I deal in facts on this one.

In December 1898, the U.S. purchased the Philippines and other territories from Spain at the Treaty of Paris for the sum of $20 million, after the U.S. defeated Spain in the Spanish-American War. The U.S. government made plans to make the Philippines an American colony. However, the Filipinos, fighting for their independence from Spain had already declared their independence on 12 June 1898.

On 1 January 1899, Aguinaldo was declared the first President of the Philippines. President McKinley subsequently declared Aguinaldo to be an "outlaw bandit". The United States declared the insurgency officially over in 1902.

The people of the Philippines surely thought themselves to be a republic.

The Philippines came under overall U.S. control and were organized as a United States territory. In 1935, their status was upgraded to that of an American commonwealth, and plans were made to grant the islands independence in the next decade. Independence for the Philippines was finally granted on 4 July 1946.
What's the Philippines got to do with Ireland?

redcoat said:
And you are an expert on what the Irish people believed in that period then, are you ?

We are dealing in facts, not wishful thinking.
Stop trying to re-write history, there are already far too many people attempting to do that.

If the State was a republic in 1922, what on earth was the Irish civil war of 1922-3 all about then ????

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelines/ni/civil_war.shtml

This is fact not fiction, people of Ireland did not reconise british rule and declared themselfs free, however british force had a different opion. As in many countries around the world :box:

Irish republicians declared indpendence, but at the resulting peace conference accepted dominion status. Ireland formally and legally became a republic in 1948.

whats legal when local people are being bullied out of being themsleves,

browse a film called 'the wind that shakes the barley'.

Saw this film last week. Great Movie. Finally showing the light on that the british really were like. Instead of it always been about the ra.

Fact:
The state known today as the Republic of Ireland came into being when 26 of the counties of Ireland seceded from the United kingdom and Ireland (UK) in 1922.

Redcoat that my friend is fact. If we wanted to rewrite history we go back to 1886

Last edited:
Fact:
The state known today as the Republic of Ireland came into being when 26 of the counties of Ireland seceded from the United kingdom and Ireland (UK) in 1922.

Redcoat that my friend is fact.
Indeed it is.

However, you have obviously not read the full thread.

The discussion is about when this state, which came into being in 1922, became a Republic, and this was in 1949

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland

Last edited:
Back