Ireland the nation

dougal

What do people think of Ireland, people country it self.

What do you know about its culture and sports and military!!??

ViewSectionDetail.asp

www.anfearrua.com

www.galway1.ie

www.carnmore.net

www.claregalway.net

Ive been there(Irish American here) and I loved. I didnt visit many of the big cities becuase, lets face it, youve seen one major nodern city youve seen them all. The country side of Ireland is beautiful and seeming endless although people tend to drive very fast down the center of the small roads instead of to one side.Go there if u get the chance

I don't know much about it... never been there...

I know it looks beautiful, I've heard people are friendly, and drinking is pretty popular :cheers: lol

I do feel this discrimination against Irish sometimes, this... vibe whenever Northern Ireland is mentioned. I don't know much about that, but it all feels rather tense.

It seems Ireland takes sports pretty seriously and enjoys it thoroughly ;)

I don't know a thing about the military, I just heard it took part and WW2, and is overlooked like many of the allies in the struggle. Other than that, though, I don't know anything else Ireland has done with her military.

A good part of my blood line apparently came from Ireland too.

Well, those are some perceptions from a Kansas yankee.

I haven't been to Eire yet, but I would really like to spend there a week or two. I like the music and the food, especially the liquid one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I have, its a infantry regament in the English army personly liked by the Queen.

Made up of mainly english, and prodestans from Northern Ireland. Why?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Il try find you a docomentry video of the little amount of Irish republicans in it, it was on Nation wide programme in Ireland

------------------------------------------------------------

Check out www.RTE.ie and type it in, in the search

03USMC said:
Ever hear of the Irish Guards Regiment?

The Irish Guards is a regiment of the British Army. Their soldiers hail from Northern Ireland.

Just for the un-initiated (and please forgive me for jumping in here - Dougal) - Ireland (the island) comprises of two parts. The larger part, the southern (what do you reckon, Dougal, 3/4 or 5/8 of the landmass?) part is a Republic in its own right. This is more properly referred to as 'Eire'. The remainder, is part of the UK and can be referred to as the 'Province'. this is one of the causes of the 'troubles' in recent history.

Ireland is made up of 32 countys.

They are put into 4 proveance. Connacht, Leinster, Munster and Ulster in the north.

Ulster is made up of 9 countys, 6 which belong to the british goverment since 1922 when Ireland became a republic after hunderets of years of ocupation and invasion and plantation in Ulster.

To this day Ulster is now based on the good friday agreement which gives Northern Ireland its own power shareing goverment between the catholics (Sinn Fein) and the prodesdent communities.

I say Ireland as a island has more history than any other country in the world between all the invasions and famine but we always held our own.

It can be a very touchy subject because its all our history is about at school where as they dont teach it in england, and you can get briths saying there mind which is wrong.

Il try and dig up a few sites.

www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/eire.htm

www.military.ie/military_archives/

www.military.ie/introduction/history.htm

---------------------------------------

No one want to reply?

mod edit:Do not post back to back. Use the edit option.

Nothing Bad to say. My grandfather came from Cork. As far as the Irish taking part in WWII. Whether they came from the six counties or the Republic they were Irish.

What does eveyone else think?

In fairness the Irish are the best humored and the best at taking the piss outa themselfs!!!

Anyways my assesment on the Irish:
Double hard bastards. Along with the UK the only corner of Europe that hasn't lost its balls.

Any brits there?

Would we be correct in letting war plans land in Shannon airport on route to Iraq as a netural country?

Is this giving terrorest a reason to use us as a target?

mod edit:Do not post back to back

Next time you're stuck in a traffic jam in the pouring rain or travelling to see a relative who has been on a hospital trolley for 24 hours, take solace in this simple fact - you are officially the envy of the world. Liam Reid reports.

Despite the country's poor weather, problems in the health service, the high cost of living and gender inequality, Ireland has emerged as the best place in the world to live, according to an international survey.

The country came top of a worldwide quality-of-life index by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for its The World in 2005 report.

According to an Irish economist, Mr Dan O'Brien, who is a senior editor with the EIU, Ireland's position can be attributed to the fact that it has retained "the good parts" of de Valera's vision of a strong community and family-based society, along with its newfound affluence.

The study combined a series of quality-of-life measures, from income per capita to church attendance, to rank 111 countries around the globe.

It found that Ireland's success was because, unlike most other wealthy countries, it had retained strong traditional values.

While it was afflicted by the modern problems of western life, from family breakdown to drink and drug addiction, it was less so than other societies.

Even taking into account the high cost of living, it also found that Ireland's income per head of population was fourth in the world.

These factors, the study said, "easily" offset Ireland's scores for health, climate, and gender equality, which are below the European average.

Mr O'Brien said he was "not as surprised as some colleagues" in the EIU when Ireland began to emerge as the highest-ranked country.

While Ireland had suffered from the same decline in social and family cohesion, the decline had been much less than in other countries.

However, he warned that, because of the rapid growth in Irish wealth, the country might well catch up with its European neighbours as the effects of wealth became more apparent.

The survey may come as a surprise to many people, not least the opposition, who launched an attack on the Government of being "in complete denial of rip-off Ireland".

"The realities of life in Ireland are there for all to see," said the Fine Gael spokesman on enterprise, Mr Phil Hogan.

Ahahaha

Back