Ireland the nation - Page 4

--
Boots

November 19th, 2004  
dougal

Quote:
Interesting extract about bloody sunday. Im not arguing or taking sides, but there were no snipers involved for a start. And I also heard that the IRA (i think) fired upon the paras first, coming from the Rossville flats. The IRA also cleared weapons from the dead bodies fighting the paras in order to cover their tracks. I advise reading the book "The Paras" by John Parker, to view bloody sunday from another point of view. None the less thanks for the information
It was Republican snipers that started it. But the Brits dispersted the marchers and basicly shot them up. Ill check more for you, theres a film out available on the net and if you ever feel like a good cry...

www.sinnfein.ie

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.as...R-6k-9Nov2004-

That mighnt work Its Google.ie and type in Bloody Sunday

www.rte.ie/news/2002.0130/bloodysundat.html

best one maybe http://www.local.ie/Ireland_History/...Irish_History/ look at dvd here.

www.freewebs.com/irishrepublicanarmy/

Quote:
i have a question bout ireland,as i know u guys are nuts for irish music(as me),so my question is:have u heard of band called Ortodox celts?
very famous serbian band that plays awsome irish stuff like rocky road to dublin town and many many more of irish and their own in irish style...............i just love those guys
You are talking to a number 1 Music Irish fan. Check out www.liambyrne.com and also search for Christy Moore its usual www.christymoore.ie or net or com
November 22nd, 2004  
redcoat

Though the Republic of Ireland was neutral in WW2, over 20,000 of its citizens did serve in the British Armed forces during WW2.

The reason Bloody Sunday happened was that the British used a unit (the Para's) that was trained as a shock unit (ie highly agressive) in a peace keeping role, without adaquate training in dealing with this type of situation. The British officers basically lost control when their troops over-reacted to either stone-throwing(which did happen ) or being shot at( ?)

ps, Never been to Ireland, I don't want to go anywhere thats wetter than where I live, I get wet enought as it is
November 22nd, 2004  
dougal

There was ya. Alot to do with home rule. It was WW1.

And at home we bought most of our arms off the Germans
--
Boots
November 22nd, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal
There was ya. Alot to do with home rule. It was WW1.
Actually I've just been looking at a web-site on this subject and I was wrong. The figure for Irish volunteers from the South during WW2 is over 70,000
check out this web-site
http://www.reform.org/TheReformMovem...ticles/war.htm
November 22nd, 2004  
dougal

http://www.templehistory.dna.ie/Iris...eruleparty.htm
November 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

Personally I think there were shooters hidden in the crowd or somewhere else. I don't think the Brits would disregard their orders that easily.

Of course most of us know that the 2nd combat scene (the one in the Mideast) was based on this Bloody Sunday incident.
November 22nd, 2004  
dougal

It was a hate crime. Watch what your saying please very touchy subject

Its like me saying to a bunch of americans 9/11 was deserved.

You couldnt understand. Sorry if I sound attacking. Il try fork you out a video of it.

Mod Edit: Do not post back to back. Use the edit function.
November 23rd, 2004  
sunb!

Ireland, I have been planning to visit the country for a decade or so but never got around doing it.
November 25th, 2004  
dougal

ou should your missing out. On ecountry Id love to see is Iceland
November 26th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: its great

Half my family come from co.Kildare the other from avoch (north scotland)..................................

Ireland is a great country. friendly and damn is the guiness alot better tasting over there than any where else......................

My gran was a fiesty paddy, never had anything positive to say and was as stormy as the north sea but for that she was an honest woman and said what she thought even though if she was too forward lol so guess who i take after! looks and all lol

But one thing about the irish they are bloody tuff and don't give in.............