Ireland the nation

I say Ireland as a island has more history than any other country in the world between all the invasions and famine but we always held our own.

It can be a very touchy subject because its all our history is about at school where as they dont teach it in england, and you can get briths saying there mind which is wrong.

uuuuh! im so mad! :evil: im on another forum and there is a British bastard (no offence to any british just this particular guy is in fact a bastard) on it saying some crap like "Ireland should have just accepted British rule" "they were COWARDS to fight Britian" "Britian has a better history than Ireland" "Catholicism is just the pope telling a load of idiots a load of shit" "irish people would be better off under British rule" and all this crap oh if he was here
:2guns: :m16shoot:

oh don't worry i got the last word ! :twisted: i als do, especially when it comes to people like him and being British was even worse.

He was moaning about Bloody Sunday and all this so i changed my avatar to a memorial of the irish people who were killed and my signature was a republican quote! ha ha ha ha :twisted:

A REPUBLICAN QUOTE LIKE THIS?

'I have heard him speak of the Ireland he wished to see. When he struck the spark on the anvil, he struck the anvil in my heart. When I leave school, the only pursuit I want to engage in is the winning of the freedom of my country'.

Which one was it? and the forum? Id like to have my say

Ive been reading a book about the paras, and bloody sunday wasnt exactly only to do with the british...kinda. Werent there Irishmen serving in the army during that war? I never remember my facts correctly I was actually wondering more about bloody sunday and all that if you could fill me in, I know that there was a protest and the paras fired upon "innocents", none of them were found to have weapons on them but there was proof that they had handled small arms and bombs before right?

i have a question bout ireland,as i know u guys are nuts for irish music(as me),so my question is:have u heard of band called Ortodox celts?
very famous serbian band that plays awsome irish stuff like rocky road to dublin town and many many more of irish and their own in irish style...............i just love those guys :lol:

found this on the internet :

From The Irish People
The road to Bloody Sunday began 27 years ago, October 5, 1968, when 500 civil-rights demonstrators marching along Duke Street in Derry were baton-charged and beaten off the streets by the sectarian RUC. In 1968, the only answer the Stormont regime could give to the raising of the banner of civil rights by the nationalist people of the six counties was naked repression.

By January 30, 1972, the only thing that had changed was the length to which the Unionists and the British government were prepared to go to intimidate nationalist protesters from the streets. In the interim, CS gas, water cannon, rubber bullets-even internment without trial and martial law-had failed

The march in Derry on January 30, 1972, was one of nine marches organized that month by the Civil Rights Association and Northern Resistance Movement to protest against internment (introduced in August 1971). At the same time, a blanket ban had been imposed on street demonstrations by the Stormont regime, making all civil-rights marches illegal. When a group of protesters marched along Magilligan beach on January 22nd to the internment camp there, they were savagely batoned by British occupation forces. It was a foretaste of what was to come if the nationalist people still chose to defy British rule.

This they planned to do on Sunday, January 30th, by marching in their thousands from Bishops field in the Creggan Estate to the Guildhall in Derry city center.

In the days after the attack on the Magilligan protesters, the Derry CRA released a defiant statement saying: "Just as the violence used by the RUC in the march on Duke Street strengthened the determination of the people to use their rights peacefully on the streets, so this latest act of violence by the authorities strengthens the will of the people of Derry to march in peaceful protest on Sunday next."

A crowd of around 10,000 left the Bishops field that day, swelling to twice that figure by the time it had covered the 3-mile route to the Bogside. The day was sunny but cold. There was no sense of impending doom. Indeed, as the (English) Guardian's newspaper correspondent, Simon Winchester, noted, "The mood seemed almost ebullient, with mothers wheeling prams, children weaving here and there, laughing, joking, playing pranks on the television men, and generally adding to an air of a Derry carnival."

The first hint that this mood was to be cruelly shattered came at William Street, where the advance of the crowd was blocked by a British-army barricade.

As the crowd turned backwards to reconvene the proposed rally at Free Derry Corner (where Bernadette Devlin McAliskey and Fenner Brockway were to speak), CS gas, water cannon and rubber bullets were unleashed by the occupation forces from the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment. Minutes later, at approximately 4:17 p.m., just as Bernadette Devlin was about to speak, a hail of bullets came whizzing along Rossville Street without warning, fired at the large crowd standing at the barricade outside Rossville Flats.

Without realizing what was happening, attendees dived to the ground for cover, stunned and panic-stricken. Others ran to the shelter of the stairwells of Rossville Flats. Those caught in the open at the barricade along Rossville Street were cut down by the deadly accuracy of British snipers.

KILLING GROUND
Within seconds, with Saracen armored cars sweeping into the courtyard of the apartment buildings and British soldiers (from the Royal Anglian Regiment) raking the Bogside with bullets from positions atop of the Derry walls, the entire area became a killing ground. For twenty minutes the firing continued, with momentary lulls. Anyone who moved was mercilessly picked off by British snipers. White handkerchiefs were ignored, and fire was concentrated on anyone attempting to go to the aid of the injured. To move at all was to invite certain death.

Of the 13 who died during those 20 minutes (another victim, John Johnston, was to die six months later from his wounds) James Wray, Gerald McKinney, Gerard Donaghy and William McKinney were murdered at Glenfada Park, where they ran to escape the hail of bullets down Rossville Street. Their escape route was cut off by other paratroopers firing down from the corner of Frederick Street. Wray was wounded twice, and lay, unable to move, in the open, as others tried to reach him. His father said:

"One man saw him move and knew my lad was only injured. So he made an attempt to get out to him, and as he approached, the army opened fire on him. His body was lying there as a trap and anybody who went to save him was going to be shot. Minutes later, as Jim looked up, they shot him, from a distance of nine feet, in his back as he lay in the street."

As others continued to flee, Gerald McKinney stood holding his hands above his head when a soldier approached him and, at pointblank range, shot him in the chest. Kevin McElhinney was on his hands and knees.

Paddy Doherty had gone out to pick up one of the wounded, when he himself became a target. The same with 17-year-old Michael Kelly and 41-year-old Bernard McGuigan.

THE SLAUGHTER CONTINUES
Michael Kelly's father recalled in the Derry Journal of February 1st, 1972, "My young fellow saw a man of about 50 years getting hit, and he ran to see what he could do for him. As he ran towards him, he [Kelly] was shot in the stomach. It was the first time at a march in his life."

Bernard McGuigan, holding up a white handkerchief to walk out to save Paddy Doherty, was shot in the base of the skull. When 19-year-old William Nash was shot at the barricade along Rossville Street, his father Alex went to his aid. Alex Nash was shot twice in the chest while bending over his wounded son, shouting at the soldiers to stop.

Not far away, in the shelter of the barricade, 17-year-old John Young was dragging himself, wounded, towards the door of the Rossville Flats with onlookers screaming from the windows, "Come on lad, come on, you're nearly there." John Young never made it; he was another victim of Bloody Sunday. Bloody Sunday shook nationalist Ireland to the core. When the news of the mass murder broke, a tidal wave of anger and revulsion swept all of Ireland. The British authorities responded swiftly with a major international propaganda offensive through the media and the Widgery Tribunal whitewash.

No paratrooper was ever brought to trial for the murders, however. In fact, their commander that day was decorated the following year by the Engish queen. There were to be no official apologies, no media outpourings of grief and outrage, no national appeals for sympathy for the innocent victims of Bloody Sunday. Only contempt. As Simon Winchester wrote: "Thanks to the propaganda merchants, and half a dozen lazy hacks, Bloody Sunday became a closed book."

PLANNED MASSACRE
Yet, despite the neat PR job the British establishment have done covering up the facts about Bloody Sunday, they have never been able to shake the conviction of the thousands of survivors of that day that Bloody Sunday was a shoot-to-kill operation, a massacre, planned and executed with cold blooded intent.

As the father of one of the Bloody Sunday victims, Jim Wray, put it: "The British planned at cabinet level to put our people off the streets, to shoot them if necessary. They were prepared to take that chance, they took that chance, and they gave us Bloody Sunday."

And, as the solitary stone monument in the Bogside attests, six of the Bloody Sunday victims were 17 years of age. The British were shooting to kill Irish children.

Few could have known that the journey that began in Derry's Duke Street on October 5, 1968, was to end with a blood-soaked civil-rights banner lying in aBogside gutter on January 30,1972.

Their military isn't so great... But that's okay. I love Irish culture! They're known for loving to fight, drink, make fun of Brits, and throw rocks. :lol:

I'm 95% Irish, 5% German. My grandparents are from Ireland and my Grandma still has the accent. :D

MyPicture001.png

^ My Irish self.

Interesting extract about bloody sunday. Im not arguing or taking sides, but there were no snipers involved for a start. And I also heard that the IRA (i think) fired upon the paras first, coming from the Rossville flats. The IRA also cleared weapons from the dead bodies fighting the paras in order to cover their tracks. I advise reading the book "The Paras" by John Parker, to view bloody sunday from another point of view. None the less thanks for the information :D

Interesting extract about bloody sunday. Im not arguing or taking sides, but there were no snipers involved for a start. And I also heard that the IRA (i think) fired upon the paras first, coming from the Rossville flats. The IRA also cleared weapons from the dead bodies fighting the paras in order to cover their tracks. I advise reading the book "The Paras" by John Parker, to view bloody sunday from another point of view. None the less thanks for the information

It was Republican snipers that started it. But the Brits dispersted the marchers and basicly shot them up. Ill check more for you, theres a film out available on the net and if you ever feel like a good cry...

www.sinnfein.ie

www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?loclD=363&doclD=206&COMMAND=PRINTER-6k-9Nov2004-

That mighnt work Its Google.ie and type in Bloody Sunday

www.rte.ie/news/2002.0130/bloodysundat.html

best one maybe www.local.ie/Ireland_History/General_Irish_History/ look at dvd here.

www.freewebs.com/irishrepublicanarmy/

i have a question bout ireland,as i know u guys are nuts for irish music(as me),so my question is:have u heard of band called Ortodox celts?
very famous serbian band that plays awsome irish stuff like rocky road to dublin town and many many more of irish and their own in irish style...............i just love those guys

You are talking to a number 1 Music Irish fan. Check out www.liambyrne.com and also search for Christy Moore its usual www.christymoore.ie or net or com

Though the Republic of Ireland was neutral in WW2, over 20,000 of its citizens did serve in the British Armed forces during WW2.

The reason Bloody Sunday happened was that the British used a unit (the Para's) that was trained as a shock unit (ie highly agressive) in a peace keeping role, without adaquate training in dealing with this type of situation. The British officers basically lost control when their troops over-reacted to either stone-throwing(which did happen ) or being shot at( ?)

ps, Never been to Ireland, I don't want to go anywhere thats wetter than where I live, I get wet enought as it is :(
;)

There was ya. Alot to do with home rule. It was WW1.

And at home we bought most of our arms off the Germans

Personally I think there were shooters hidden in the crowd or somewhere else. I don't think the Brits would disregard their orders that easily.

Of course most of us know that the 2nd combat scene (the one in the Mideast) was based on this Bloody Sunday incident.

It was a hate crime. Watch what your saying please very touchy subject

Its like me saying to a bunch of americans 9/11 was deserved.

You couldnt understand. Sorry if I sound attacking. Il try fork you out a video of it.

Mod Edit: Do not post back to back. Use the edit function.

Ireland, I have been planning to visit the country for a decade or so but never got around doing it. :(

its great

Half my family come from co.Kildare the other from avoch (north scotland)..................................

Ireland is a great country. friendly and damn is the guiness alot better tasting over there than any where else......................

My gran was a fiesty paddy, never had anything positive to say and was as stormy as the north sea but for that she was an honest woman and said what she thought even though if she was too forward lol so guess who i take after! looks and all lol

But one thing about the irish they are bloody tuff and don't give in.............

Back