Iraqis: Put Blackwater guards on trial (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - The official Iraqi investigation into last month's Blackwater shooting has been submitted to the government and recommends the security guards face trial in Iraqi courts, and that the company pay compensation to the victims, an Iraqi government minister told The Associated Press on Thursday.

More...

If the government are recommending that they pay compensation, it is obvious that they are guilty. You don't get awarded punishment if you are innocent.

Let's wait and see.

If it doesn't, there's been a gross miscarriage of justice. I don't care who they work for, murder of innocent civilians is against the law,.... anywhere.

As i said, the fact that the Government has recommended a punishment is admission of the fact that they think Blackwater are liable.

The last thing the coalition need at present is a cover up to attract the attention of the world press.

Why anybody should believe that Blackwater should be above the law (American or Iraqi), is beyond me. If there are charges pending against anyone that works for the company, they should be turned over to the the Iraqi government and the Iraqi justice system for trial. They are NOT US Military forces ... they are civilians (no matter if they have a contract with the US or US Forces). When a civilian breaks OUR laws in OUR country, they are tried in OUR courts ... there shouldn't even be an argument over this one.

If it doesn't, there's been a gross miscarriage of justice. I don't care who they work for, murder of innocent civilians is against the law,.... anywhere.

As i said, the fact that the Government has recommended a punishment is admission of the fact that they think Blackwater are liable.

The last thing the coalition need at present is a cover up to attract the attention of the world press.

They (the Blackwater Mercs involved in the Shooting) will be out of Iraq long before there is a Trial, and Iraq is not going to Invade us just to get them back.

They (the Blackwater Mercs involved in the Shooting) will be out of Iraq long before there is a Trial, and Iraq is not going to Invade us just to get them back.

A refusal to let them stand trial, will send a strong (bad) message to the world regarding the integrity of the USA. Christ,... every pr1ck and his dog is just waiting for us to blink and they'll be screaming for the International Court of Justice.

I can see the headlines now "It 's good enough for the Serbians, why not Blackwater"? It's a no brainer, we can't just go around the world protecting people who commit murder, regardless of what some politicians may think. There are people who want to crucify us just for being there, if we start carrying on like we are a law unto ourselves, we've lost it,..... completely.

Men were sent to the gallows in WWII for similar things, and I'm talking about the Allies not the Germans.

Last edited:
A refusal to let them stand trial, will send a strong (bad) message to the world regarding the integrity of the USA. Christ,... every pr1ck and his dog is just waiting for us to blink and they'll be screaming for the International Court of Justice.

I can see the headlines now "It 's good enough for the Serbians, why not Blackwater"? It's a no brainer, we can't just go around the world protecting people who commit murder, regardless of what some politicians may think. There are people who want to crucify us just for being there, if we start carrying on like we are a law unto ourselves, we've lost it,..... completely.

Men were sent to the gallows in WWII for similar things, and I'm talking about the Allies not the Germans.

Been following the Trials and Sentencing of those in the United States Military found guilty of wrongfully and yet willfully killing Iraqis?

Iraqi life is cheap, not worth much at all, and in the end the United States could say that the Mercs from Blackwater cannot receive a Fair Trial in Iraq, and theres a Report out today that the White House is standing against the United States Congress on a Bill that would bring the Mercs in Iraq under some kind of Law.
I see Blanket Pardons on the horizon, which is still better than blanket Immunity from Prosecution, but not much.

It's a sticky problem.

I would like to imagine that I understand some of the pressures that these men are being subjected to, and I am sympathetic. It's just that will it be in the best interests of the coalition (and the world for that matter) to go too easy on them?

I have a son who was working over there for a mob of Brits, and believe me, I was always aware that he was in a very delicate position. We had to be very careful as the Australian Government are watching like hawks. Being a mercenary in Australia is technically illegal, but I don't know if they are turning a blind eye at the moment. My son's passport could certainly attract a lot of unwelcome attention, Kuwait, South Africa, Oman, Mozambique. Not nice.

yep a fair trial works.... they will prove their innocence

Okay here's my problem with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Were you there? Are you privy to the investigation ethier Iraqi or US? Have you been boots on ground and actually seen some of these PMC's operate?

Enough with the far right rhetoric already. Not every aqusation made against PMC's or US service members is a drummed up left wing conspiracy. Some of it is true. And I've got a feeling this one might be.

Okay here's my problem with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Were you there? Are you privy to the investigation ethier Iraqi or US? Have you been boots on ground and actually seen some of these PMC's operate?

Enough with the far right rhetoric already. Not every aqusation made against PMC's or US service members is a drummed up left wing conspiracy. Some of it is true. And I've got a feeling this one might be.

Then lwe should et the court decides...

Back