Iraqi equipment

Balkan-MiG

Im having this argument with this stooge on another forum about the Gulf War. And he is always saying that 'Russian equipment is :cens:, this war proves it', and he doesnt seem to have any proof of that [No website that says it, no book etc]

So anyways, i was wondering if any of you know what Tanks, APC's, artillery etc the Iraqi Army used in the Gulf war, and could you PLEASE tell me if they were Russian export models [We all know the export ones suck x]]. And could you also tell me approxiamently when they were last modernised?

That would be a great help.

Most of their stuff is junk but here's a few that have won us over.

BMP-3. Holds 9 infantrymen (which is slightly awkward) but has pretty good armor (so I hear) and without a doubt, has better overall firepower compared to its American counterparts.

METIS-M tube launched, optically tracked, wire-to-command-link anti-tank missile. It actually managed to take out Merkavas in 2006. And it's not cheap at all. I can't remember the unit cost but I remember holding a disarmed missile and thinking "this is actually the most expensive thing I've held in the service." It's got a tandem warhead which increases its penetration capabilities.

The Repulican Guard had T-72's the export verison, Other units were equipped with T55's, Chinese Type 59 (T54) Chinese Type 69 (T62).

APC/IFV's included BMP 1 & 2 BRDM 2 and BTR 60's.

Rumor has it that Saddam tried to add applique armor to the BRDM and rename it the "Saddam. But the armor overloaded the chassis.

Artillery was D30 (Saddam) BM21 Rocket Trucks,2S3 SP 152MM , M30 122MM, D1 37 & 43 models 152mm, M46 130 mm, GHN 155mm,

Also encountered in lesser numbers were Chieftans (captured from Iran) M47's captured from Iran and Kuwait, M60's captured from Iran and Kuwait. But these British and US tanks were not considered fully operational.

Not to my knowledge. If your talking reactive armor and electronics packages. Course all the ones I saw were dead, and I'm not a tanker.

Well trained crews might have got some more shots out and maybe hit something but they were trained by the Russians. I don't think Russian crews get much training either maybe there some Russian tankers who might know better.

After watching the military channel's US Army tankers get trained only NATO trained forces could go toe toe with US tankers, in modern western equipment. Russian export equipment does differ in certain cases but it's the training and the trainers that aren't on the same level to begin with.

Just like with a F-15C even without an AESA radar I'll still pick the Eagle driver over a Russian Su-27/pilot in it 1 on 1, I know the Eagle drivers going to have 250/300 hours stick time. Different training against other fighters, well maintain equipment, better missiles, etc.

I might be wrong and it's just my opinion but to me the lack of good training brings down the level Russian made equipment more then anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well trained crews might have got some more shots out and maybe hit something but they were trained by the Russians. I don't think Russian crews get much training either maybe there some Russian tankers who might know better.

After watching the military channel's US Army tankers get trained only NATO trained forces could go toe toe with US tankers, in modern western equipment. Russian export equipment does differ in certain cases but it's the training and the trainers that aren't on the same level to begin with.

Just like with a F-15C even without an AESA radar I'll still pick the Eagle driver over a Russian Su-27/pilot in it 1 on 1, I know the Eagle drivers going to have 250/300 hours stick time. Different training against other fighters, well maintain equipment, better missiles, etc.

I might be wrong and it's just my opinion but to me the lack of good training brings down the level Russian made equipment more then anything.

Hi so i don't agree with you sir bcuz this is not the truth !
Iraqis have done what they were taught to do , i mean in military terms ...we can take the battle of nassiriya in 1991 when the 7th battalion was attacked and stopped out of the city by Iraqis republican division of armords!!!
mister George bush asked for a cease fire !!!
answer if you are interested!!:biggun:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually there were many reasons for the cease fire. That alleged battle was not a factor.
If anything, the "Highway of Death" was a factor. Basically American air power did such a good job of destroying the Iraqi army running away from Kuwait that it made a lot of folks sick to their stomach.
But at that point it, the Iraqi equipment was below par in both quantity, quality and coordination so it was hardly a match. I'm really curious as to where these funny stories allegedly from "the past" come from.

these are facts!!

Actually there were many reasons for the cease fire. That alleged battle was not a factor.
If anything, the "Highway of Death" was a factor. Basically American air power did such a good job of destroying the Iraqi army running away from Kuwait that it made a lot of folks sick to their stomach.
But at that point it, the Iraqi equipment was below par in both quantity, quality and coordination so it was hardly a match. I'm really curious as to where these funny stories allegedly from "the past" come from.

ok sir as you like you can call it stories but !!! would you pls revise the casualties of us "super power" during the day of 28th february 1991 cuz the commander of the 7th battalion has called M G bush personally to call for a cease fire near nassiriya .......and there is no need to re-call the high way of death bcuz it is so clear tha t iraki air force alone was not able to face 32 armies ...Wake up ...
even tanks and light bmp were easy targets for the f-16 and other jets .
keep in mind that with 32 states and an international cover the us wasnt able to proceed beyond nassiriya .

A BN CO has no authority to call the President to ask for a cease fire.
He does however, have the authority to call in a lot of air strikes.

It is not clear

A BN CO has no authority to call the President to ask for a cease fire.
He does however, have the authority to call in a lot of air strikes.

u did not answer my question ?
why the USarmy in the 28 of feb. was not able to crash the republican guards division - despite of the war intentions ...- i mean where is the factor of resistanse.

Actually President George H.W. Bush called for a cease fire. Perhaps call is a bad word. He ordered a cease fire on 27 Feb 1991 effective at midnight Kuwaiti time on 28 Feb 1991. No commander of any unit called and asked for a cease fire from Stormin Norman on down to some Plt leader in some grunt unit.

The call for cease fire was made after conferring with the coalition membership. The liberation of Kuwait had been completed, the objective had been reached. Didn't agree then don't agree now.

I don't have any idea what this 7th BN your talking about is. The units in the vicinity of An Nasiriyah were 6th French Light Armor, 82nd Airborne and 24th Mech. The 6th French and 82nd drove up Tap line Rd and were halted short of An Nasiriyah by the cease fire warning order. 24th was the second arm of the pincer and was also halted short. There is no 7th Bn in any of these units.

All these units and follow ons in trace were prepared to engage the Iraqi units holding at An Nasiriyah, including some Republican Guard units. But there was no engagement.

Check out the battle of Medina Ridge if you want to see how the vaunted Republican Guard fared in straight up tank combat. Or the battle of 73 Eastings.

All the Iraqi units fought on a Soviet model, learned from Soviet Advisors. Massive Units in Linear formations. They couldn't adjust to sweeping penatrating attacks.

!!!

hi again
a commander in chief has told me the his unit "al-nidaa republican guard " was holding position abound al-nassiriya approaches when the advancement of non-expected american force was about to reach them . so he ordered his soviet made tanks to react immidiatly without waiting orders from the central command in Abu gharib south of baghdad.
but he confirmed that the 7th bn was there .
ok let's mov eon if we dont agree on this ...let's talk about the iraki resistanse in the south irakis regions .
and show me how the western doctrine saved the lives of the Abrams a1 crews..
thank you

Then his Intel is bad, unless 7th Bn is an Iraqi unit. No coalation units in the area held the Numerical Designation 7th Bn. And there was no tank engagement in that area. The Coalition forces halted 25-30 miles outside An Nasiriyah.

In the south? Again try Medina Ridge.

Then his Intel is bad, unless 7th Bn is an Iraqi unit. No coalation units in the area held the Numerical Designation 7th Bn. And there was no tank engagement in that area. The Coalition forces halted 25-30 miles outside An Nasiriyah.

In the south? Again try Medina Ridge.

hi
do you beleive that the casualties are just 1 killed friendly fire and 30 wounded and 4 tanks damaged.
how intelegent are you ?
the largest armord battle in the american history ...all this are the only casualties !!! whatt"s up ...revise your sourses.
:firedevi:

Yeah since the tank kills were step ons I believe it. And since the T72 export had trouble firing on the move with it's fire control system., I believe it.

And since the 1 1ST AD killed was hit with a Sabot DU round yes I believe it.

But just fer chits and grins what are your stats.

Why the kill ratio? Better equipment. Better training.

Iraq lost

1991 when the 7th battalion was attacked and stopped out of the city by irakis republican division of armords!!!
mister george bush asked for a cease fire !!!

Can you attach a link to back up such a claim. You do realized Iraq lost right?

folks sick to their stomach

You hit the nail on the head wonder if this guy has a the same IP as a past member or two?
icon10.gif

Back