Iraqi elections Results are out

SwordFish_13

Hi,

The results from the Iraqi elections are in, and it seems like they're bad news for the US. The Shiites (United Iraqi Alliance, back by Iranian Ali Sistani) have won with 132 seats out of 275. Kurds came in second with 71 seats, and US-backed Allawi only gets 38 seats.

PROVISIONAL RESULTS
Shia list: 48%
Kurdish parties: 26%
Iyad Allawi list: 14%
Others: 12%
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4261035.stm

The fact is...Theocratic rule and democracy don't go well together....and never will. The only way this election will have even the remotest possibility of any success will be if the person elected is a moderate and will not be influenced by his clerics. Even then it has only a slim chance of success in the long run...because there are no safe-guards to prevent a theocratic militant gaining power in another election.

You like it or Not My View is There cannot be a Democratic Country in the middle east until they Shed religion as the Ruling Force.

True democratic rule cannot exist in a country bred on theocratic rule.................our democracies survive only due to our societies own apathy toward religion....................we recognize, in principle, the need for the separation of church( or religion) and state.

You like it or not Saddam Hussain Formed a Secular Goverenment by the Only way possible ........ By FORCE .......... i don't see any other way it is possible there .

Comments?

Peace
-=SF-13=-

I would only have called it bad news for the US if the terrorists had succeeded in stopping the election. The election took place. I'd call that a victory.

The people probably know the democracy is going up in smoke if the US leaves, and democracies have seldom changed themselves into dictatorships. The chances are good right now that things will work out.

Charge_7 said:
I would only have called it bad news for the US if the terrorists had succeeded in stopping the election. The election took place. I'd call that a victory.

fair enough too, the US said they wanted to get an election and a democracy going....after that it's up to the people. if they wanted a puppet regime they just would've put one in power and damn the torpedoes.

glad alawi didn't get it though...something not quite right about that bloke

Ali Sistani is not an Iranian, although Iran is a predominantly Shiite nation, how is that a bad thing at least there are partners in the region for Iraq. And the younger generations of Iranians are an educated populace, and they are approaching a secular democracy although it will take awhile.

Maybe this is naive, but I'm actually glad the Alwawi ticket didn't get the majority. This is because I think it would have put an American face on the election.

And I don't think it will be a puppet government, I don't believe the Iranians have that much influence on the shi'ites in Iraq. Just nuts like that Al sadr guy.

Wait, wait , wait.
Election results are good news for the West in every respect.
There had been rumors lately about the Shiia list going to take up the majority and impose Shiia constitution and a premier from its ranks.
Yesterday morning they were saying the Shiia had taken a 60 % votes and that only 48-50 % of the total population had voted.
But this latter percentage is in fact a 60 % and the Shiia, despite all expectations, didn't get the majority.
Better than expected, I'd rather say.

Hi,

I have one this to say here and reserve my comments for later use :

Religious apathy is the key to a successful democracy !

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Religion not being the deciding factor yes, apathy no. The United States was founded by men who valued their religion - they also provided for the seperation of church and state. We've been going for over 200 years now and despite our setbacks from time to time we're a successful democracy. Yes, there is religious contention here now, but it has not made our democracy one iota less effective.

Back