Iraqi commandos take to the skies for air assault training

rock45

Iraqi commandos take to the skies for air assault training

4/13/2009 By

Cpl. Meg Murray ,

Multi National Force - West

AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —

AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —
Different types of military operations call for specific methods of insertion. Since the advent of the helicopter-borne insertion during the Korean War nearly 60 years ago, air assault has become an extremely viable method of troop insertion.
To refine their air assault skills, Iraqi soldiers with 1st Company, Commando Battalion, 7th Iraqi Army Division, took to the skies in the back of two Marine CH-53E Super Stallion transport helicopters as they participated in familiarization of helicopter and air assault operations.

“What we’re trying to do is get the commandos used to getting on helicopters, teach them the proper way of loading and off-loading, how to store their weapons, and how to pull security before and after they get off the helicopters,” said Robert Wise, a special operations foreign internal defense advisor with Military Transition Team 7.

During the training, the commandos loaded into the back of the helicopters and were flown to a small objective several miles away. Upon touchdown, the soldiers quickly exited and set up security in a 360-degree perimeter around the helicopter, securing the immediate area and allowing the CH-53E to safely lift off again.

“It was our first time as a company in the helicopter,” said Iraqi Army Sgt. Qahtan Hamza, a platoon sergeant with 1st Company. “It was very interesting.”

The Commando Battalion is made up of soldiers with vastly different levels of experience and training, and Wise explained the importance of every soldier participating in the training, regardless of their proficiency.

“Some of the [Iraqi] soldiers have done this many times, but this is the first time as a group,” explained Wise. “We have them go through the training step by step so we can get them all on the same level.”

Though helicopter familiarization is the commandos’ final exercise before they graduate from a month-long training cycle, both Wise and the soldiers feel confident in the skills they have acquired.

“I think they’ve come a long way from where we started off,” said Wise. “They’re excited, they’re motivated and they’ve already been on one mission [since the training began] where they looked for insurgent activity in Anbar province.”

Hamza said he thoroughly enjoyed the training and is confident in his abilities.

“I am very ready for [a real life helicopter mission],” he said. “I wish we could go through helicopter training every day and fly all around the country!”

getthumbnail.aspx

Link
http://www.marines.mil/units/marfor...andostaketotheskiesforairassaulttraining.aspx

Fast Rope

How do you even hold on under the blades with a pack/gear? I assume there is some sort of a hook or can you really fall 30/40 feet with all your gear?

There's no hook or ring you really climb down? Holly sh_t batman. You guys are mad.

During training some people stuff their gloves with tinfoil..To prevent too serious burns from the ropes.
Once is a burning sensation, ten, fifteen times in one day is your hands coming of..

They never told us about that in boot camp. We had our hands peeling off and then we had to go climb the face of a cliff. Awful. Just awful.

During training some people stuff their gloves with tinfoil..To prevent too serious burns from the ropes.
Once is a burning sensation, ten, fifteen times in one day is your hands coming of..

No lie. You do multiples you better use something. I've seen guys go thru two pairs of gloves in a day even packing them. And kermantles nonabrasive ........right.

Back