Iraqi and American views on the various problems in Iraq. - Page 2

--

September 5th, 2006  
moving0target

I was trying to make more of a general point. If all they really wanted was a change in government then (A) they could have done that without us and (B) we could have done that without a full-scale invasion of the country. It isn't as if the US hasn't shuffled the leadership of a few third world nations over the years.

I know it's all hindsight at this point. I'm fully aware that we, the folks who foot the bill, will never know the complete truth. It just seems that the Coalition, and the US specifically, has a tiger by the tail. We're going to take our lumps whether we let go or not. Perhaps we can learn from this instance for the future when we have to deal with Iran or North Korea.

...nah. What am I thinking?!
September 6th, 2006  
b2ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
HA! You argued that one country is imposing its will on another smaller country... this is no different than China and the parts of India it annexed in the 1970's, Tibet, Xinjiang or Taiwan... oh wait, you're right it is different, VERY different, the US allows Iraq to have its own democratically elected government. My mistake B2eeeeee.
Hehe, dear bulldogg, only one small leaf can cover your eyes completely. After the US has already controlled the Iraq's oil completely, giving some sanctimonious so-called democracy changes nothing. If Iraq becomes unresistant,compliable and stable through democracy,it is not bad to American's plan in middle-east.

Democracy iteself is not bad,but it is really bad to do something in the name of democracy.

Oh,one more patch is needed here I feel. I don't mean the normal Americans have the thought like that. Sometimes,it is the national behave, not related with individual person.
September 6th, 2006  
moving0target

Psst. Don't look now, but he's falling for the old "the US is out for Iraqi oil" gag. Heh. That one always seems to get them.
--
September 6th, 2006  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2ee
Hehe, dear bulldogg, only one small leaf can cover your eyes completely. After the US has already controlled the Iraq's oil completely, giving some sanctimonious so-called democracy changes nothing. If Iraq becomes unresistant,compliable and stable through democracy,it is not bad to American's plan in middle-east.

Democracy iteself is not bad,but it is really bad to do something in the name of democracy.

Oh,one more patch is needed here I feel. I don't mean the normal Americans have the thought like that. Sometimes,it is the national behave, not related with individual person.
It's not that Democracy is a perfect system, it's just that it is the best system that has ever been tried. Look at the great economic and military powers of the world. The United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, dare I say, France. What do they all have in common? They are democracies. Democracy isn't perfect, but it apparently works quite well. History shows this.
September 6th, 2006  
b2ee

Damien435, I agree with you completely. The US is one of most stable nations in the world,which profits much from its advanced democracy mechanism.China should learn much from the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving0target
Psst. Don't look now, but he's falling for the old "the US is out for Iraqi oil" gag. Heh. That one always seems to get them.
Hehe, moving0target, what else you want to talk with me? I will listen to you with respectful attention.
September 7th, 2006  
therise21

i would have to say that most americans do believe that there lifestyle is the best. and i would have to agree, citing the countries with the worlds highest standards of living(finland, sweden, japan etc.) are all democracies. the problem is democracy doesnt work in every situation(look at russia, iraq). the people have to be willing to abide by the elected government.
September 7th, 2006  
WarMachine

In Iraq's case i think the problem was the way we tried to change their country. You don't spread democracy through the barrel of a gun. All the authoritarian regimes in the past like the USSR and Nazi germany were either brought in or consolidated with force. That's the surest way to have problems with the people and government. I don't think democracy in iraq will be much different unless there's a stern effort to stop the fighting...somehow.
September 7th, 2006  
bulldogg

Your ignorance is showing. Violence, civil war to be exact, is the womb of democracy. Name me one, just one, country that is a democracy today that did not get said democracy through a bloody violent revolution wherein countryman slayed countryman?
September 7th, 2006  
b2ee

WarMachine,I have the similar feeling. I ever talked with an American guy in my Germany's stay,he told me that it is impenetrable that why many other world's people don't like the US. He thinks the US is helping other countries to set up the best life just like their own's. For me,so strange thought.
September 7th, 2006  
bulldogg

Ah, the concept of altrusim, I can understand why you don't understand.