Iraq: What Would You Do?

Whispering Death

I'm surprised this hasn't really had a thread yet so, what the hell, let's go!

This is a FICTIONAL situation with basis in reality.

Now there are two situations here and you've got to make sure you clearly say which one you're answering.

--------------------------->

You have just been apointed supreme god-king of the US occupation of Iraq in either [#1: Right at the end of major occupation or #2: Today, this day]. You've got a broken country and the same resources in terms of men/equipment/money etc. that the real US/Iraqis had(have) at that time. Alright god-king, what would you do?

Hmm, good question.

I think initially I would focus on defence, since the rebuilding process can't happen if there are constant attacks by insurgents and militia. I would try my hardest to rebuild the Iraqi defence force so eventually Iraq can defend herself and we can scale back our forces.

I would attempt to muster more control over contractors and their security guards, to prevent them from further jeopardizing our soldiers.

If I could take the liberty of winding the clock back slightly to before Saddam was captured and his sons where killed. I would have gathered all the Mullahs and religious leaders together and reminded them that the leaders of the previous regime have not been captured and unless they wanted to return to life under Saddam I would have suggested for them to turn their unwanted attentions elsewhere or we will pack up and go home leaving you to Saddam and his sons and where they left off......

Next drop phamplets to every city in the Sunni triangle saying "Put down your arms or you will be destroyed."

They will laugh this off and keep attacking united states and iraqi forces.

Now pull back out of the sunni triangle into the oil rich sourh and north.

Next step is to flatten the suni triangle. Preferablly with submarine launched nuclear weapons, but carpet bombing might be more fun to watch

I think I'd focus on the new Iraqi government, training Iraqi force improving, searching insurgents, and protect at Syria and Iran's border at at all costs. I don't trust Syria and Iran.

I would secularize Iraqi government, and especially the military.

I would establish a military similar to that of Turkey who see themselves as the guardians of secularism in their country.

The rest of the country can be Muslims under a democracy but they cannot interfere with the countries secular run state goverment. The Military will be there to make sure that it stays that way.

why have nukes if u dont use them? :roll:

nahh seriously though... i would withdraw and isolate the country. set defences around the border with a "fire at will" command... and then i would wait for them to crawl back and BEG for us to return and establish a little control... :rambo:

okay thats not serious... but thats the only logical option i can think of...

The recovery of the public peace is top priority.
The terrorist cannot attack without the resident's cooperation.
The recovery of the Iraqi national defense army is also important.
I do not think that Iran acts now.
Iranian might be not as foolish as it is thought that it is possible to win by
fighting against the United States、I hope・・・・・・

I doubt Iran would attack Iraq even ´without the threat of American forces. The 2 governments have much better relations than they did under Saddam.

Rabs said:
I would secularize Iraqi government, and especially the military.

Good luck with that. That would be like telling the pope to denouce god.

I know that would never work.

But the scenario said if you were god-king, so I reached for the near impossible.

I would train iraqi forces then once that is built up, set some of them around the syrian border with our forces to keep out those dang terrorist. then eventually send our boys home.

I would stop doing anything just pull back all troops to their MOBs no patrols except perimeter on base do that for two months just to see what would actually happen.

Then I would go from their

If things settled down I would offer help with anything they asked except military action ie rebuilding. The only military action would be defence not attack

If things didnt settle down I would pull out completely leave them to it. They cant manage with us they cant manage without us sooner or later they have to grow up and take account for their own actions!!

I would find my over to Iran, and a, Syria. Blow them to bits then figure out which direction to turn from there.

Back