Iraq Wants Quick Withdrawal of U.S. Troops

Duty Honor Country

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer
BAGHDAD, Iraq -

Iraq's transitional prime minister called Wednesday for a speedy withdrawal of U.S. troops and the top U.S. commander here said he believed a "fairly substantial" pullout could begin next spring and summer.
Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari said at a joint news conference with Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld that the time has arrived to plan a coordinated transition from American to Iraqi military control throughout the country.

Asked how soon a U.S. withdrawal should happen, he said no exact timetable had been set. "But we confirm and we desire speed in that regard," he said, speaking through a translator. "And this fast pace has two aspects."

First, there must be a quickening of the pace of U.S. training of Iraqi security forces, and second there must be closely coordinated planning between the U.S.-led military coalition and the emerging Iraq government on a security transition, he said...

READ MORE

Well, guys, I don't think this means much of a change. I mean they're talking about one year. It's politics, they're going to have Political Elections somewhere around next fall. The guy just wanted to look "not too much of an American puppet", as some of his critics and incumbents label him.
I mean lets just put this in perspective.

Back