Iraq VP vetoes new election law

Out of curiosity, at what point to we just throw in the towel?

We've reached the point where we've really done all we can to get something resembling democracy in Iraq. We can't get this guy to change his mind now, he's an elected official, correct? Thus, any steps taken by the US to remove him would be setting the country back even further.

Last edited:
what is point in giving up if we have come so far it is not exactly like iraq is a lost cause...
it isn't up to us (outsiders) to decide what happens in Iraq...

I know there is a quote somewhere which is very similar to what im about to say, but I cant remember who said it. Anyways...

Democracy cant be forced into a nation. The nation must be shown how democracy can benefit the people, and eventually they will want democracy, and they will sort it out themselves.

I know there is a quote somewhere which is very similar to what im about to say, but I cant remember who said it. Anyways...

Democracy cant be forced into a nation. The nation must be shown how democracy can benefit the people, and eventually they will want democracy, and they will sort it out themselves.
Yeah, it's called my signature. :wink:

This exactly why we need to leave.

We cannot force Democracy on people who dont want it, if the Iraqis come to us later and ask us for help in founding a democracy thats perfectly fine, but we simply can no longer shove it down their throats.

We need to leave and now, the Iraqis need to sort their domestic issues themselves no one else can do it for them.

Right now the presence is more about providing security than anything else. That is important. The security situation needs to hold in order for the Iraqis to be able to get their democracy moving forward.

Right now the presence is more about providing security than anything else. That is important. The security situation needs to hold in order for the Iraqis to be able to get their democracy moving forward.
But the US Army is not a security force, and they can't operate efficiently as one.

But thats the problem isnt it? The reason our presence is a security force is to protect the government from people who dont like the system of government. We are there to protect a governement nobody wants. If people actually wanted this government there would be no violence.

But thats the problem isnt it? The reason our presence is a security force is to protect the government from people who dont like the system of government. We are there to protect a governement nobody wants. If people actually wanted this government there would be no violence.

"We are there to protect a governement nobody wants."

What a bunch of crap. The various factions of people, political, and religious factions are jockeying for position to control the government. They all want government as long as they control it.

Do you have any indication that the people in Iraq want to change the form of their fledgling government? I didn't think so.

Back