Iraq Veteran, Wife Lose 3rd Child From Crash

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Dallas Morning News
November 5, 2007 SUV accident occurred as mother was taking kids to see injured dad
By Holly Yan, Dallas Morning News
Still grieving over the deaths of two of their children, Army Spc. John Austin Johnson and his wife this week have to bury a third child.
Tyler Johnson, 9, died Saturday at Children's Medical Center Dallas from injuries he suffered in a crash on Oct. 13.
Tyler, his mother and his siblings were on their way to visit Spc. Johnson, who was hospitalized in San Antonio with a traumatic brain injury suffered in Iraq.
Their sport utility vehicle crashed on their way from El Paso, flipping at least four times.
Two-year-old Logan and 5-year-old Ashley died at the scene. Tyler, who suffered many internal injuries, was taken by helicopter to Children's and had been on life support for most of the past month.
Tyler's will to live surprised even his doctors.
"People would ask me what's going on, and I'd always tell them the doctors weren't sure he'd make the night," said Sgt. 1st Class Eugene Schmidt, a family spokesman.
Traffic investigators said that although Mrs. Johnson was driving at the speed limit on Interstate 10 near Ozona, a combination of high speed, drowsiness and powerful winds likely contributed to the crash.
All the children were in the back seat. Logan was properly restrained in a child seat, but neither Ashley nor Tyler was wearing a seat belt.
Spc. and Mrs. Johnson have said they are too devastated to talk, but Sgt. Schmidt said they are coping fairly well given the circumstances.
"I think the good thing is they knew it [Tyler's death] was coming.
"They had time to prepare for it this time," said Sgt. Schmidt, who had been taking care of Spc. Johnson at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.
"I think they're just so rooted in their faith. That's what's helping them through it."
For the past three weeks, an outpouring of support has flooded in from military-support groups, businesses and strangers.
The Professional Golfers' Association heard about the family's story and raised $95,000, which paid for a new car and other expenses.
American Airlines, which donated plane tickets for family members to travel to Logan and Ashley's funeral in Arkansas last month, is donating more tickets for Tyler's funeral in Arkansas this week.
Almost everything else – from car rentals and hotel accommodations to food – has been donated.
The future remains uncertain for the Johnsons. Sgt. Schmidt said the couple will take a month off to rest and decide what to do next.
"They've got to get their emotions in check," Sgt. Schmidt said. "Right now, they've kind of had a mission, so to speak – going to hospital every day, checking on their son, burying two others.
"When this calms down, they're going to realize it's just them two."
Mrs. Johnson, who was a homemaker, now says she can't stand being in an empty home, Sgt. Schmidt said.
"She was telling me she's going to have to get a job because she won't be able to be at home alone when she's normally taking care of them," Sgt. Schmidt said.
Despite his own brush with death in Iraq, Spc. Johnson wants to return to active duty, Sgt. Schmidt said. But Mrs. Johnson is petrified of losing her husband in addition to all their children.
Visitation for Tyler will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Roller-Ballard Funeral Home in Benton, Ark.
His funeral is at 1 p.m. Thursday at Roller-Ballard.
Tyler will be buried next to his brother and sister at Pinecrest Memorial Park in Alexander, Ark. All services will be public.
Sgt. Schmidt said he is inspired by the Johnsons' will to overcome such unimaginable tragedy.
"It's amazing to me how strong they can be," he said. "No matter how bad it can be, they just take it one day and one hour at a time."

Back