Iraq: Number of military personnel from each branch.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
I know around 136,000 US troops are currently deployed in Iraq.
I know most of them are Army and Marines, but I also know there are some USCG units in the south. I don't know about AF. Now my question is: how many troops from each branch are there in Iraq?
I couldn't find anything that specific on Google.

The National Guard can be either Army or Air Force. Although the Army Guard is by far the bigger presence than the Air Guard in Iraq.

They are reserve components under state control unless Federalized by the President. They get the same training, go to the same schools, take the same tests and must meet the same requirements as the regulars. It doesn't say "National Guard" on their uniforms. It says either "U.S. ARMY" or "U.S. AIR FORCE".

Field_Marshal said:
uhhh, so whos the elite???
The Recon Marines, Army Rangers, Navy Seals, Green Berets, Delta Force, etc ... are some examples of highly-elite US forces. Most of those are likely to be present in Iraq now, but I've no idea how many or even if all of those are stationed. Bear in mind that there is a lot more elite forces that could be listed.

Are we talking "In Theater" or "In Country"? Because the Navy has a huge contingent of personnel around the Middle East theater.

c/Commander said:
Are we talking "In Theater" or "In Country"? Because the Navy has a huge contingent of personnel around the Middle East theater.

I know. I was actually talking "In country" though. Weird how nobody knows the figures.

Don't forget all the "security" forces or mercenaries. Most of those are from military covert forces and I'm sure the CIA is neck deep in the operation.

Missileer said:
Don't forget all the "security" forces or mercenaries. Most of those are from military covert forces and I'm sure the CIA is neck deep in the operation.

Thats a very interesting aspect, actually. Although I wouldn't go as far saying "most of them" are from military covert ops.

Air National Guardsmen are a reserve component of the Air Force as I said. They are a part of the branch and yes, they do fly planes. Most of the off shore air patrols are done by Air National Guardsmen for example.

Army National Guardsmen are again, a reserve component of the Army. They do the jobs the regulars do as well.

I will not repeat this a third time. If you still can't grasp this I suggest you do some online research.

Back