Iraq aims to buy 18 F-16 fighters in '09

rock45

Iraq aims to buy 18 F-16 fighters in '09

Wed Apr 1, 2009 7:51am EDT

By Jim Wolf
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iraq wants to buy an initial squadron of Lockheed Martin Corp F-16 fighter aircraft this year to help guard against perceived threats from Iran and Syria after U.S. forces leave, the head of the Iraqi Air Force told Reuters on Tuesday.
Lt. Gen. Anwar Ahmed said he hoped to sign a contract for 18 advanced F-16s as the centerpiece of billions of dollars Iraq is expected to spend on arms in coming years.
"This is very important to us," he said in a telephone interview while visiting Washington. "It is a priority."
Provided funds are made available by Iraq's Parliament, he said his goal was to acquire up to 96 F-16s through 2020. He cited the F-16C/D Block 50/52 models now being produced for Poland, Israel, Greece and Pakistan.
"We need this aircraft for defense of our country," Ahmed said. He mentioned Iran as a potential threat along with Syria, which he said has been a gateway for "terrorists" aiming to destabilize the government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki.
If the funds are freed and a deal is wrapped up this year, the first two Iraqi-piloted F-16s would be patrolling Iraqi skies by 2012, he said.
By that time, all U.S. armed forces are due to have left Iraq under a bilateral pact negotiated last year.
The Iraqi Air Force chief said the initial F-16 squadron would cost roughly $1.5 billion, including logistics, spares and pilot-training plus a trainer fleet of 15 T-6A Texan aircraft built by Hawker Beechcraft Corp.
FOLLOW-UP TALKS
Ahmed, 54, said he had met a U.S. Air Force team in Baghdad on March 18 to discuss F-16 purchases and held follow-up talks with Pentagon officials on Tuesday.
So far, he said, U.S. officials supported Iraq's push to acquire the F-16, one of the world's most advanced multirole fighters and a powerful symbol of ties to the U.S. military.
A spokesman for the U.S.-led Multinational Security Transition Command-Iraq, which advises the Iraqi Defense Ministry, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The potential sale was a government-to-government matter, said Joe Stout, a spokesman for Lockheed Martin, which has delivered more than 4,400 F-16s worldwide.
U.S. reviews of possible arms sales can take a year or more. They involve the departments of State and Defense as well as Congress and weigh power balances, technology security and other thorny issues.
Iraq's push to buy the fighter jet could spark concern about advanced arms in the hands of a country still facing major internal challenges.
Ahmed, who took over as Air Force commander on January 1, said Maliki and Iraq's defense minister, Gen. Abdel Qader Jassim, were solidly behind the acquisition of the F-16.
"In the future you leave our country," he said in imperfect English. "You must have some aircraft like the F-16 in the country."
Ahmed was to attend the third Iraq Aviation and Defense Summit, an industry conference taking place outside Washington on Wednesday and Thursday to highlight Iraq's procurement plans.
Asked whether the Iraqi Air Force would be ready to defend the country by 2012, he said it would take more time. Among other things, Iraq would have to first acquire an air defense system, more fighter jets and complete the buildup of its ground forces, he said.
"I can't give you a specific timeline" for when Iraqi forces would be capable of defending the country on their own, Ahmed said.
About 20 Iraqi Air Force cadets were being trained in the United States, including pilots, control tower technicians and logistics experts, with plans to boost this number over coming years.
So far, the U.S. Congress has been notified of potential arms sales to Iraq totaling nearly $9 billion, including the M1A1 tank by General Dynamics Corp, light armored vehicles from various contractors, armed reconnaissance helicopters from either Boeing Co or Textron Inc, and Lockheed's C-130J cargo aircraft.
The majority of the deals have been developed over the last two years, said Charles Taylor, a spokesman for the Pentagon's Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which administers U.S. government-to-government arms sales.
(Reporting by Jim Wolf; editing by Tim Dobbyn)

Link
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53035J20090401?sp=true

Sucks to be those Russians. It's better than Russian-made Migs and they should able to beat the Iranian F-14s and Migs out of the sky. Nobody messes with the Falcons.

But. We have to be careful in case the Iraqi government turns against us next election... then we have 18 F-16s against us (mind you I think the Israelis could easily handle this but still).

I think Iran's F-14s are highly overrated myself just can't see them being effective anymore.

Iranian old A model Fulcrums?
F-5 paste on fighters?
A few J-7 Chinese made Fishbed?
Iran's best are the regiment of Su-24s they have
A few F-1 French made ex-Iraqi cast offs
A few Su-25's (good platform, very small numbers)

Iran AF can't protect there current SAM's from air attacks even if they had operational S300 now. The outer edges of the SAM's system ranges need air protection, modern fighters are still needed for a layered defensive setup to be effective.

Iraq should do fine with some Vipers and South Korean made A-50s

Why does Iraq need F-16s? They don't even have a functioning Army yet, not to mention their infrastructure is rotten to the core.

I think they have other priorities.

Without air power they will be able to be bullied by Iran and possible Syria, can't see it myself but I guess in theory.

I agree with there weak infrastructure 100%, Iraq's going to need protection for years to come. I assume there starting now with the air force because of the four to six years needed to generate pilots and maintenance crews.

I wonder...

There´s a growing rivalry between the shiites in Iran and the Iraqi ones (that rule Iraq nowadays). I sense the finger of Ayatollah Sistani being involved somehow and that might irk Teheran that always like to pretend that Shiite muslims should turn to Iran despite the main Shiite holy places are in Iraq.

Why does Iraq need F-16s? They don't even have a functioning Army yet, not to mention their infrastructure is rotten to the core.

I think they have other priorities.

So Iraq should build its defence 1 piece at a time? Of course they've got lots of issues, but ignoring air defence is silly, especially when you check the Iranian Air Force, I just checked on Wikipedia & I'm surprised at the "reported" results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Airforce#Current_composition

To me this shows that the govt is taking its border integrity seriously, which can't be bad. Don't forget Desert Storm shows what airpower is capable of & who knows if they'll be able to rely on USA for serious military help after the drawdown?

I may bash Iran's AF but with no US presents say sometime in the future there they could play havoc. Four to six years is the basic times to train up a force (pilots, ground crews, etc) and Iraqi's are no different, they need to start now.

Bimcnorth your comment makes me wonder if Iran ever absorbed Iraq which would be slim to none because of a number reasons but it would reshape the Middle East.

Iran and Syria would share a border in a sense
Iranian & Iraqi oil would have access to the Med
Kuwait wouldn't be sitting pretty
Iranian forces in theory would be on the Saudi's border
Iran would control a hell of a lot more oil
Turkey would share a little more border with Iran
Jordan might feel a little heat from dealing with the west
I wonder if pipeline routes would changed?

Like I said slim to none.

I may bash Iran's AF but with no US presents say sometime in the future there they could play havoc. Four to six years is the basic times to train up a force (pilots, ground crews, etc) and Iraqi's are no different, they need to start now.

They are probably going to recruit the pilots during the Saddam era. I dunno.

Hi Fox
Hiring the Saddam era pilots would be difficult not just because of age but because of their poor base training I think. My two cents I think starting over would serve their needs better.

Lets be real until they come together as a country the training process will go very slow. Outsiders need to be kept out, borders need to be sealed, and control is needed.

Every country around Iraq has to work harder not letting just anybody pass through their country to get to Iraq which is a difficult feat to pull off. There are just so many issues that need fixing but the push must come from Iraqi people.

Back