Iran's Revolutionary Guard In Secret Iraq Talks With US

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
they need to mind their own business. stay out of iraq and deal with their own problems.

London Sunday Times
January 13, 2008 By Marie Colvin
The head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps slipped into the green zone of Baghdad last month to press Tehran’s hardline position over the terms of the current talks with American officials, it was claimed last week.
Iraqi government sources say that Major-General Mohammed Ali Jafari, 50, travelled secretly from Tehran. Jafari appears to have passed through checkpoints on his way into the fortified enclave that contains the American embassy and Iraqi ministries, even though he is on Washington’s “most wanted” list.
Last year Washington declared the guard a “foreign terrorist organisation” and imposed sanctions on it.
One of the accusations that led to the designation was the charge that the Quds Force, a branch of the guard, was supplying rockets, mortars and roadside bombs known as explosively formed projectiles (EFPs) to Shi’ite militias in Iraq.
In recent days there has been a sharp increase in the use of such bombs against American troops, and last weekend five Iranian speedboats were said to have harassed three American Navy ships, radioing a threat to blow them up.
On his tour of the Middle East yesterday President George W Bush put Tehran on notice over its support for the insurgency in Iraq. “Iran’s role in fomenting violence has been exposed,” he said in Kuwait.
Iran and the United States have held three rounds of talks over security in Iraq. They have made little progress so far but are considered a breakthrough because they are the first face-to-face encounters since 1980.
At the insistence of the Americans, the talks between Ryan Crocker, the American ambassador to Iraq, and Hassan Kazemi Qomi, his Iranian counterpart, have been kept to the issue of security in Iraq. But Tehran wants them broadened to include the release of Iranian diplomats being held in Baghdad by the Americans. It is understood Jafari was sent to Baghdad to ensure that this happened.

If a civil war erupted in Canade do you think we would sit idlly by? Espicially when you consider that Iraq is Iran's tradition and ancestoral enemy. I would be surprised if they DIDNT get involved.

Secondly, be careful of the saber-rattling coming out of Washington. As we have seen, the Bush Administration has not been exactly truthful about the Iranian threat, and I take this "Persian threat" of theirs with a fine grain of salt. Now that the WMD threat has been debunked they sure seem willing to invent a new war rationale.

Hell no you can't compare the two. The turmoil that is the extremist religious ideology of the world's pit has nothing to do with this side of the planet, which is why this war is unwinnable. At the risk of sounding cruel, let them blow each other up and just assassinate their leaders as they pop up. Problem solved by one sniper and a spotter.

But back on track, Iran (and Tehran) are interested in Iraq for one reason and one reason only: We told them to stay out of it. They never gave a damn about the politics before, so what other correlation does anyone see besides the fear of democratic freedom her people are experiencing for the first time in over 400 years? 80,000 Kurds died trying to prove this point, and now we brought the hammer of mess-you-up and Iran's terrorists suddenly think they have a political voice?

Nothing a .308 round won't solve from 700 meters.

T.I. is spot on here: They really need to mind their own business and stay away from International/Intercontinental politicking before we loose the real pain on them.

Wow, I am full of opinions today! Well, full of something, at any rate :angel:

north america and the middle east are two different monsters..... i don't think you can compare that.

Well then name me a conflict that a neighboring country DIDNT get involved in? Europe and the Balkans, China with Tibet, the USSR and Czecholvakia, the USA in Nicarugua, the whole African continent is full of countries intervening in others countries business, the list goes on and on. What Iran has done is no different is no different than many others. Nor is Iran the only country involved in Iraqi Affairs. Syria, Saudi Arabia, Turkey all of those countries are involved in Iraq too.

I am no fan of Iran either, I think they are playing a very dangerous game of chicken withthe USA all for the sake of local politics. But we are in no position to be giving lessons of "non-intervention" when we are just as guilty as they.

We weren't not exactly "invited" into Iraq either...

AZ Infantry

"They never gave a damn about the politics before"

I believe you are forgetting the invasion of Iran by Iraq in the 1980s. I believe that alone would make them VERY interested about Iraqi politics, that and oil.

Last edited:
If a civil war erupted in Canade do you think we would sit idlly by? Espicially when you consider that Iraq is Iran's tradition and ancestoral enemy. I would be surprised if they DIDNT get involved.

Secondly, be careful of the saber-rattling coming out of Washington. As we have seen, the Bush Administration has not been exactly truthful about the Iranian threat, and I take this "Persian threat" of theirs with a fine grain of salt. Now that the WMD threat has been debunked they sure seem willing to invent a new war rationale.

Between Leafs and Canadiens fans?

1) don't believe anything coming out of the mouth of our current admin, or the ones running for president for that matter
2) Iraq and Iran are enemies until they team up against a common enemy (the US)
3) civil war in Canada?

Civil war in Canada? Listen - one of my old army mates lives there. If they attack him then they have to take on me. So that's two of us - that ought to do it.

Don't worry Del Boy if Canada gets attacked it won't be in the winter for one, and the US would come over throw the govt and occupy the country until the old Canada was back, we'd be there until all the beer was gone anyway

Back