Iran's new missiles?

Marinerhodes said:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D913BF70-A7A0-4025-8778-0EBD8DCCFC8E.htm

I was driving today and heard Paul Harvey talking about a misile test Iran did recently. He said something about it having no radar profile (flying low enough to the ground I guess), the ability to evade missile to missle missles, on point targeting and lots of other goodies.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Having a low signature profile isn't all that amazing. It's a matter of just not having a lot of mass to solidly reflect the radar.

I'm not a missile expert, but if its a longer range ballistic missile, it may not be all that improved. The guidance system may still be last generation and since it flies lower to the ground, its cargo may be lighter. A missile needs fuel and cargo. You have to trade off. If you want range, it comes at the cost of fuel and visa versa. Now, you cna bring in advanced designs to improve range without a great tradeoff, but flying lower typically burns more fuel.

It may also be a single point missile. I'm sure there's a technical term that describes this. Essentially, our tomahawk's can hit multiple targets over an area in a single sortie. I don't know if the Shabab 3 can do that or if it can only hit one target.

Airborne Eagle said:
Having a low signature profile isn't all that amazing. It's a matter of just not having a lot of mass to solidly reflect the radar.

I'm not a missile expert, but if its a longer range ballistic missile, it may not be all that improved. The guidance system may still be last generation and since it flies lower to the ground, its cargo may be lighter. A missile needs fuel and cargo. You have to trade off. If you want range, it comes at the cost of fuel and visa versa. Now, you cna bring in advanced designs to improve range without a great tradeoff, but flying lower typically burns more fuel.

It may also be a single point missile. I'm sure there's a technical term that describes this. Essentially, our tomahawk's can hit multiple targets over an area in a single sortie. I don't know if the Shabab 3 can do that or if it can only hit one target.

That was the other thing that struck me. It is a multiple target missle. Also it has capabilities that will allow it to avoid missile to missile attacks from defending targets. The range was still at or about the same. Able to hit Israel and coalition forces in the surrounding areas.

WNxRogue said:
Nope, your video is the right missle.

I m confused!

Fajr-3 is supposed to be an MLR but the video shows a short range ballistic missile

fadjr30zp.jpg

731313-05-32.GIF

I've been at a few missile firings in my career and I can't tell you what type of missile is firing by looking at the skin. All I saw was a missile take off a couple of times and a rather whiskery fellow narrating. If I was on a missile tracking radar and watched the trajectory and targeted area and at least see if the vehicle went anywhere and how close it came in the accuracy department, as well as readouts from initial strike piezoelectric "crumple" sensors, an educated guess could be made as to what the vehicle is capable of. Give me data recorders, words are for books, data is for engineers.

Missileer said:
I've been at a few missile firings in my career and I can't tell you what type of missile is firing by looking at the skin. All I saw was a missile take off a couple of times and a rather whiskery fellow narrating. If I was on a missile tracking radar and watched the trajectory and targeted area and at least see if the vehicle went anywhere and how close it came in the accuracy department, as well as readouts from initial strike piezoelectric "crumple" sensors, an educated guess could be made as to what the vehicle is capable of. Give me data recorders, words are for books, data is for engineers.

the guy who seems to be a senior ranking IRGC official is saying that this missile is a Multiple Warhead one and can attack different targets and can also evade RADAR detection.

How is this possible?

phoenix80 said:
the guy who seems to be a senior ranking IRGC official is saying that this missile is a Multiple Warhead one and can attack different targets and can also evade RADAR detection.

How is this possible?

Well, avoiding radar isn't so difficult if it is exoatmospheric. The rate and attitude of descent takes care of radar avoidance. Unfortunately, every time a missile of an interesting country is launched, it's tracked, resolved as to trajectory and destroyed before it ever gets to the warhead separation and retargeting stage which takes place in orbit. That has become almost 100% effective but that's another story. The big question in every missileer's mind when they fire a missile that's being tracked is, "how quickly can I make it to another country on the other side of the world before all failsafes are keyed off?" The answer is between 15 and 30 minutes.

Missileer said:
Well, avoiding radar isn't so difficult if it is exoatmospheric. The rate and attitude of descent takes care of radar avoidance. Unfortunately, every time a missile of an interesting country is launched, it's tracked, resolved as to trajectory and destroyed before it ever gets to the warhead separation and retargeting stage which takes place in orbit. That has become almost 100% effective but that's another story. The big question in every missileer's mind when they fire a missile that's being tracked is, "how quickly can I make it to another country on the other side of the world before all failsafes are keyed off?" The answer is between 15 and 30 minutes.

I guess the best bet is stick your head between your legs and do what comes natural.

Missileer said:

so you mean there are technics to deal with their new toy?

phoenix80 said:
so you mean there are technics to deal with their new toy?

Yes, thanks to the Cold War devotion to defensive weapon research. Even when I was in, there was a lot of innovations, mostly snoop radar and info gathering. We and the USSR had to warn each other if we stomped the ground too hard.

Although I think this new weapon of theirs is to be taken seriously, I think the Iranian military is exaggerating it a bit.

Missileer said:
Yes, thanks to the Cold War devotion to defensive weapon research. Even when I was in, there was a lot of innovations, mostly snoop radar and info gathering. We and the USSR had to warn each other if we stomped the ground too hard.

It was the logical USSR which cared about its existence as well, but this is a mullahcratic regime that doesn't care about any thing at all. They don't warn, they launch and they don't care!

Back